Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Girls high school
  Previous  1  2  3  4 28  29  30  Next

Healthmom4

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:33 am
From what I've heard, Meon is a cont of Bnos Melech: Very Yeshivish & less academic

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:45 am
Can anyone recommend a school that is academic but not necessarily yeshivish (a mix is best) but also warm with extra curricular? Does that exist here?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Can anyone recommend a school that is academic but not necessarily yeshivish (a mix is best) but also warm with extra curricular? Does that exist here?

I grew up in Lkwd and married really out of town. My observation has been that in Lkwd more yeshivish is more academic and OOT less yeshivish is more academic (prepping for college etc..)

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:52 am

Aderes?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I grew up in Lkwd and married really out of town. My observation has been that in Lkwd more yeshivish is more academic and OOT less yeshivish is more academic (prepping for college etc..)

So what is meant by yeshivish in Lakewood... I don’t mind no cell phones or movies or internet but what if the girl is more artsy and dresses out of the box but still tznius? Where can her quirkiness be accepted?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:07 am

I think you are looking for Bnos Bais Yaakov.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:08 am

My own observations do not agree with this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:15 am
I think bais kaila is academic and not yeshivish

In Lakewood more yeshivish is NOT more academic.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:17 am
So how is academic rated? Both English and Hebrew departments? Both are important to me. A school that focuses on “tznius” is what I want to avoid since it never seems to be about real tznius but just lots of irrelevant rules.
Can you tell at the end of the day how much a HS girl learned upon graduation?
Like perhaps does she get into a good Sem or do well in college?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think bais kaila is academic and not yeshivish

In Lakewood more yeshivish is NOT more academic.

I don’t know about the super new schools. But Bais Ya’akov and Oros have a much more academic reputation than Bais Kaila and Bnos Bais Yaakov ...

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:28 am
I don’t know about the super new schools. But Bais Ya’akov and Oros have a much more academic reputation than Bais Kaila and Bnos Bais Yaakov ...

But Oros is a little less yeshivish than Bais Yaakov.

My daughter is in Oros-9th grade. So far, we are quite happy. I know someone else wasn't, but they do them.
I can answer some questions.
But my daughter is very, very, very bright, and a rule goody goody rule follower. And the type who would do well in most schools.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:44 am
I've actually heard that Bnos Bais Yaakov is very academic. Unless things changed (the school has changed principals, etc...)

Such generalizations here. There are plenty of yeshivish girls in Bais Kaila. And a mix of girls in other schools. It's pretty general to say, this school is not yeshivish, this school is more yeshivish, etc....

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:19 pm
Would any school compare to BY Drav Meir in Brooklyn? Bnos Bais Yaakov or Aderes or Bais Kaila?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:22 pm
Would any school compare to BY Drav Meir in Brooklyn? Bnos Bais Yaakov or Aderes or Bais Kaila?

I don’t think you can compare Lakewood schools to Brooklyn schools but the chinuch and mehalech of BYDM seems more similar to Bais Yakov or Oros IMHO. None that you mentioned.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:28 pm
Bais Kaila is not academic...which is fine but if a girl enjoys high academics then probably not the place for her.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 3:48 pm
What’s the crowd at Chedvas?
I’m getting mixed information, maybe it depends on the grade?

Anyone knows more about Aderes?
What are their defining characteristics, positive and negative?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Bais Kaila is not academic...which is fine but if a girl enjoys high academics then probably not the place for her.

There are academic opportunities for girls in BK who are looking for it.

BK has students who attend top academic seminaries every year (like Machon Raaya, for example). They also have students who have gone on to obtain academic degrees. Saying BK is not academic is a sweeping generalization of a school that has tracks and tries to accommodate individual students' needs.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 4:23 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

My dd does enjoy high academic, she's bh very, very bright and at times during her 4 yrs of high school she was definitely bored but she doesn't regret at all going there and she loves bais kaila!!!( I specifically asked her because she had a lot of friends that went to different high schools!)
It would be interesting to know how they manage in seminary but at the end, they all end up in the same seminaries! LOL

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 4:47 pm
Chayalle wrote:
There are academic opportunities for girls in BK who are looking for it.

BK has students who attend top academic seminaries every year (like Machon Raaya, for example). They also have students who have gone on to obtain academic degrees. Saying BK is not academic is a sweeping generalization of a school that has tracks and tries to accommodate individual students' needs.

I went there way back and had plenty of work... I was just saying that bec. a mother of girl there now said her daughter doesnt have much work. Totally fine with me, Im not into making girls crazy.

mashcsch

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:16 am
My daughter is in 10th grade in bais kaila and has plenty of school work!! I would say it is definitely academic!! There are also honors subjects which she has elected to join. That being said there are some girls in her school who don't do much work. Now there are people I know whose girls are in a very academic school like oros who say their girls don't do much work either. And some who say their girls have h.w. until 11 p.m. every night. My neighbor's daughter in bais shaindel said she doesn't have a stitch of work. So I guess at the end of the day a lot of it depends on the student. But bais kaila definitely offers a lot of academic opportunities. And my daughter works really hard.
Just to add she is a very smart and conscientious student. She was accepted to oros as well. So know your daughter and make a decision based on that.
Page 3 of 30   Previous  1  2  3  4 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries