Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Still think young can’t get very sick?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:05 am
Gracie wrote:
I can't like this post enough. The polarization is what's gotten us in to trouble. It's not lock yourself up for 9 months OR do absolutely nothing! Like sixofwands said it's about masks and social distancing and being careful WHILE living your life!

Im not sure where all the common sense went.....

Nobody was more strict than my mother. She didn't step foot outside. Wore a mask more religiously yet she was sick for 4 weeks. She's by far not the only one. So many ppl, too many ppl who were so religious with the masks and gatherings got sick, very sick. Stop with this mishigas that masks work. BECAUSE THEY DONT Director Banging head

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:06 am
tweety1 wrote:
Nobody was more strict than my mother. She didn't step foot outside. Wore a mask more religiously yet she was sick for 4 weeks. She's by far not the only one. So many ppl, too many ppl who were so religious with the masks and gatherings got sick, very sick. Stop with this mishigas that masks work. BECAUSE THEY DONT Director Banging head

None of the precautions "work". They "help". Each precaution somewhat lowers your chances of catching the virus. Because everyone has different risk factors we each feel comfortable using varying levels of precautions.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:08 am
What does it mean for something to work? There are countless cases where people got serious injuries while wearing seatbelts or bike helmets, or burned themselves while using oven mitts.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:11 am
tweety1 wrote:

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:23 am
tweety1 wrote:

Stop with this mishigas masks and SD don't work!

NO ONE says that masks are 100% effective but that they significantly lower the risk of trasmission. Can you still get Covid if you're careful with masking? Definitely! But you are significantly less likely to than someone unmasked. And large gatherings? You really want us to believe that people who attend large gatherings are not at greater risk of getting the virus?

I remember a post reminding mothers to make sure that their kids wear bike helmets. OP's ds had been in a bike accident and his helmet cracked and his head was fine BH. Amother responded that she knew of someone who was killed RL in a bike accident while wearing a helmet. Does this mean that helmets aren't effective? They can't save people 100% of the time but they definitely reduce the risk of head injury tremendously!

Signed,
Someone who lives in an area where 'everyone' had Covid and 'nobody' is careful, and who knows many of these 'nobodies' who ARE very careful - and have not gotten the virus - when all their friends and neighbors did

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:28 am
bigsis144 wrote:

I don't wear a coat because I'm afraid of dying of hypothermia. I wear one because I don't want to be cold. If I'd be uncomfortable in a coat I don't know if I would wear one.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:29 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Yes I understand but the odds of this happening are much much higher.

I'm not saying to lock anyone up - but there is hishtadlus.

The odds of young kids ch’v dying from COVID is higher then the flu. And yearly deaths are equal.

188 kids died of flu 2019-2020
Approx 172 kids died of COVID in 2020.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:33 am
I think what a lot of the restrictions are all about is to protect our medical system. Yes, bh kids don't generally get very sick but if kids being in school and camp will mean the hospitals will fill up, then they must be cancelled. Where that line is drawn when it comes to what should remain open and what should close, I think we have to rely on our public health experts.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I think what a lot of the restrictions are all about is to protect our medical system.

THIS!!!! You couldn't have said it any better. That's where it starts and thats where it ends. In simpler terms; it's called politics.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:50 am
Actually, what I said is that we have to trust our public health officials in order to get through this. I did not say it's all about politics.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Actually, what I said is that we have to trust our public health officials in order to get through this. I did not say it's all about politics.

What you wrote in the first line and what you wrote after that is so contradicting it ain't funny. The first line and the rest don't match up. Sorry but not sorry.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:01 am
bigsis144 wrote:

OK. This is the funniest thing Ive seen all week.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
The odds of young kids ch’v dying from COVID is higher then the flu. And yearly deaths are equal.

188 kids died of flu 2019-2020
Approx 172 kids died of COVID in 2020.

I wasn't talking about children. Or deaths. I was talking about 16-30 year olds and damage to the internal organs, breathing issues, immune system issues, not being able to go back to work months later due to these symptoms. We don't even have statistics but they are saying it's 15-50 percent of all people these ages.

It's known to cause blood clots in the brain and heart which can cause stroke.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:04 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Regardless of how sick I am, I don’t believe in lockdown. I think kids need to go to school and adults need to work. I just think we need common sense, no packed simchas, no dancing with holding hands, no traveling on planes, etc

The Israeli government thinks otherwise. You have to admit, it doesn't look good.

https://www.israelnationalnews.....94311
Health Minister:
'We must impose a total lockdown and close all schools' Amid rising infection rates, Yuli Edelstein calls for total lockdown, closing schools and all non-essential businesses, with no gatherings.

https://www.israelnationalnews.....27827
In the past day, another 1,777 students tested COVID-19 positive bringing the number to 14,292.
The number of students in isolation has risen to about 70,000. In the last day, 111 kindergartens were closed.

Common sense seems to be thin on the ground around here. People have "Covid burn-out", and they are getting lazy with precautions. Following rules is a serious pain in the neck, I get that. Still, total lockdowns are an even bigger pain - but people seem to not see the bigger picture or the common good.

Wishing you a refuah sheleimah, and no lasting effects! Hug

I'm getting my first vaccination shot tomorrow. Wish me luck. 😷

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:09 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
The Israeli government thinks otherwise. You have to admit, it doesn't look good.

Health Minister:
'We must impose a total lockdown and close all schools' Amid rising infection rates, Yuli Edelstein calls for total lockdown, closing schools and all non-essential businesses, with no gatherings.

In the past day, another 1,777 students tested COVID-19 positive bringing the number to 14,292.
The number of students in isolation has risen to about 70,000. In the last day, 111 kindergartens were closed.

Common sense seems to be thin on the ground around here. People have "Covid burn-out", and they are getting lazy with precautions. Following rules is a serious pain in the neck, I get that. Still, total lockdowns are an even bigger pain - but people seem to not see the bigger picture or the common good.

Lockdown makes sense as a short term solution only. In Israel they're doing well as far as getting people vaccinated quickly. If they go into total lockdown now they can continue vaccinating everyone and this lockdown wouldn't have to go on for very long. Here my age group isn't expected to get the vaccine until April. No, I'm not willing to lockdown that long. Sorry not sorry. I already had covid and so did the rest of my family. There's a limit to how much you're willing to do to when it's no longer a personal risk for you.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:14 am
tweety1 wrote:

I will say this for the one millionth time, louder for people in the back.

MASKS WILL SOMEWHAT PROTECT YOU, BUT THEY WILL DEFINITELY PROTECT OTHER PEOPLE!

MASKS ARE SO THAT YOU ARE NOT SPREADING THE VIRUS AROUND!

SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTECTS BOTH YOU AND OTHER PEOPLE.

If you are in the two or three days before your first symptom and you are contagious, but don't know it yet, and you get up in someone's face and breathe on them without a mask, you are spreading a disease!

WHY IS THIS SUCH A COMPLICATED CONCEPT???????

For that matter, why are you OK with sick people getting up in your face and breathing virus particles all over you? Banging head

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Health Minister:

A lockdown is a last resort for short term damage control. The after affects of lockdown are awful for so many. The numbers are out of control where I live also but their is a lot in between full lockdown and doing nothing. The problem is that common sense has fled.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:33 am
I didn't read all responses, but my aunt and uncle are doctors and at the hospital they work at, there have been kids sick with covid-19, including a 5 month old baby in the ICU.

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:35 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I will say this for the one millionth time, louder for people in the back.

MASKS WILL SOMEWHAT PROTECT YOU, BUT THEY WILL DEFINITELY PROTECT OTHER PEOPLE!

MASKS ARE SO THAT YOU ARE NOT SPREADING THE VIRUS AROUND!

SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTECTS BOTH YOU AND OTHER PEOPLE.

If you are in the two or three days before your first symptom and you are contagious, but don't know it yet, and you get up in someone's face and breathe on them without a mask, you are spreading a disease!

WHY IS THIS SUCH A COMPLICATED CONCEPT???????

For that matter, why are you OK with sick people getting up in your face and breathing virus particles all over you? Banging head

Ummm... no. Literally no doctor believes this. It minimizes risk for others around you, doesn't eliminate it altogether. Have you read about the swiss cheese model?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:35 am
My husband is in Hatzolah and they got a call from a electric biker two weeks ago whose entire helmic cracked and broke all over his face. He had blood all over and was rushed to the ER.

So I guess helmets don't work either.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics