Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Frum FLYbabies
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Is your sink shiny?
Yes, of course!  
 39%  [ 23 ]
No, I don't do that part.  
 18%  [ 11 ]
No, I can't get it shiny..  
 13%  [ 8 ]
Huh?  
 27%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 58

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 16 2005, 12:44 am
I have porcelain and I just spray it at night w/ clorox clean-up. next morning I just wash it off and its nice and clean

hisorerus

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 10:09 pm
How I want my Shabbos routine to work (not in order yet)...

Fri Nite:
- lay out clothes
- don't shine sink, but clear sink (all dishes in tub)
- set up breakfast on table
- 10 minute straighten up so house stays Shabbosdik
- mouthwash
- negel vasser
- GO to bed, not fall asleep on couch

Shabbos Morn:
- Dressed to shoes (davka not lace-up, but yes dress-up)
- Make bed, dump negel vasser
- Brachos
- Daven
- set table
- 15 min straighten up
- 15 min prep meal, will do rest while serving (I HATE serving)
- take and enjoy relaxing time!

For Yom Tov, do home blessing hour the day before, ignore and don't worry about zone work.

I'm not there yet, but I hope that it will help me get this place together someday!

chen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 10:20 pm
ladies, ladies, get a grip! if it isn't pesach and it isn't tref, what the hey? will the Abishter ask you at the final judgement if your sink was shiny? (Just a reality check from one who scours her blech with steel wool Rolling Eyes If that isn't psycho nothing is.)

My stainless steel sink was never shiny, not even when new, and never will be. It is a gunk and mold magnet and every little speck shows. when it gets too putrid even for me, I take a nice shmatte--old t-shirts are great--and wipe off the whole gesheft. I take a little edge of the t-shirt and slide it under the faucets to get rid of the glop that collects there (waste of time, by the next day it's back, but seeing all that gunk on the shmatte is so satisfying.)

good grief, I gotta get a life!

roza

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 10:22 pm
hisorerus, Thumbs Up Mr. Green

hisorerus

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 1:52 am
Nu, time goes by and here's the daily routines I'm growing into:

- empty at least one sink (I have a double, both kosher and fleishig)
- pj's (nightgown) put away clothes worn, lay out outfit for tomorrow
- Negel Vasser
- brush teeth

- Wash negel vasser before turning over to feed baby (if it's light out)
- dump negel vasser
- get dressed to lace-up shoes
- make bed
- DAVEN first thing- at least Shma & Shmone Esrei

If you share Hachlatos, it's supposed to help... right? Very Happy
Any suggestions?

Rivka

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 4:40 pm
I use the liquid milton that I used to sterilise the baby's bottles in a cold water steriliser. It works a treat.

Tefila

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 8:10 pm
Ok so think of it this way if u were to walk into someone elses home what is the first thing you see. Thats how I go about cleaning my home each room has it's focal point so e.g. my hallway has only the shoes put on the shoe rack out of site back packs go straight upstairs or into closets coats get hung up on hooks but away from immediate view since who has time to use the closet to actually hang them up.
My dining room has ka"h bookshelves galore so the ones that is the hardest to keep mentchluch since the little ones read and don't puit back just right I have awya from immediate view but the china cabinet and couch with pictures on mantle is facing the person entering so it looks tidy atleast for first impression. My kitchen focal point which I hate but no choice right now is my stove and two countertops so that is always clear and tidy except for the stove when I am cooking I have another countertop hidden from immediate view which I hide my shabbos unwashed soaking dishes in a coverd bowl my sink is double one is kept coverd with matching countertop board and has last min dishes in there the other is always empty not always shining though but definatley clean.
My Upstairs doesn't resemble downstairs right now Confused but slowly we r getting better. There is nonething worse then being scared of where you will sit when coming as a guest to someones home I.e. crumbs on seats and scared when sitting at the table your hands will get stuck to the cutlery or table or bentcher for that matter.
Nonething worse then stepping on crumbs or sliding over spilt something so vacuuming and sweeping is a must mopping twice a week imo. A clean or atleast allusion of it Twisted Evil makes a guest incl the hostess feel wonderful. Time and effort is akll that is needed no need to be a perfectionist trust me.
And scrubbies w/h comet work just fine for cleaning almost anything incl my blech Wink

raizy

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 1:08 am
comet it makes me vomit it makes my mouth turn into listerene. ...

instead of useing comet I use VIM it really works and it smells nice. it takes off practically all dirt from my house .

also if u have only a few minetes to clean up before guest arrive just sweep everything in a big pile and put it in a basket. that what I do with all the toys. then when I have time I put it nicely away..

I checked out flyladies... hummm alot of what they are saying doesnt apply . I have the beds made all laundry picked up and put in the washing machine the kitchen is clean and 3 kids out of the door at 9:00 a.m/ the room clean and tidy...

SO WHO CARES IF U HAVE SHINY SINKS OR NOT!
as long as they are emty! what I do to get it to have the dry look all the time is after washing the dishes I use a rag and wipe the whole sink clean... and dry.it looks really great!!!

hisorerus

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 1:55 am
The shiny sink issue is supposed to be psychological. If your house is together, you don't need Flylady so much! Keep doing what you're doing. My house is a disaster, and even when I straighten up, it doesn't last. I need a system to help out.

Please be sensitive when talking to people like me, whose homes are a catastrophe and it's not that they're bad people.

hisorerus

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 2:17 am
With all the sensitivity threads up now, I'm surprised at the way people are talking here. Saying that "it's easy to keep your house in order" is insensitive. Saying "if you only did [insert 2 second technique here] everything would be great" is insensitive.

If Hashem blessed you with that inborn talent, good. I was blessed with disorganization, procrastination, and a very high tolerance for mess.

Hence, I'm trying to use FlyLady to help me get things together.

As my Mommy likes to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." There are other threads where you can brag about the beautiful home you keep on an impossible schedule. This thread should be supportive of any and all SHE's on the site. (SDWOTN)

hadasa

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 2:56 am
hisorerus wrote:
(SDWOTN)

translation?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 3:25 am
Hisorrerus, we're two of a kind. (hope you don't mind) but I like your style. chaos loves company?

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 8:43 am
Hisorerus I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad but just saying it can be done. Remember we haven't got to the upstairs of my home yet.... wonder why I haven't talked about that Twisted Evil
And I am not so organized by any stretch of the imagination and cleaning not irioning is not my favourite pasttime but in the end it's worth it Exclamation
So what I am saying is if I can basically do it so can absolutley anyone Wink

Also I have to tell u I've been there done that so it's not like I was actually born this way haalavay. Rolling Eyes But when I had yrs ago under 3 children three and under I had my fair share of embarrassing moments conc my home, thats when I woke up. And I'm still waking up Rolling Eyes

hisorerus

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 12:16 pm
SDWOTN = sarcasm doesn't work on the net

SaraYehudis- you're invited! Wink

shayna82

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 2:16 pm
I clean my sink every other day with dish soap.. it makes it sparkle and smell nice..

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 8:13 am
If we are talking about keeping counters clear, (not just sinks), here's my question:

Whenever someone takes out a disposable cup, plate or bowl from the shelf, along with it comes another two or three. When we're eating, there's always the possibility that someone will need another cup, or bowl. When we're finished eating, where do those extra plates, bowls go?

Not back to the original pile, because they were on the table, at an either fleishig or milchig meal, and now I will keep it in either category. So up on the counter to hang around? Into the dish cabinet to be forgotten about? (I barely use the dishes these days, only some on Shabbos).

My counter seems to be swimming in those disposables that don't have a place. It really looks messy. Does this happen to anyone else? any good ideas? and please as hisorrerus says SDWOTN.

chen

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 8:32 am
Forgive me if this sounds sarcastic, but why are you taking down extra dishes? Why can't you simply go to the shelf and remove dishes when and if they are needed?

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 11:00 am
It's not dishes, disposable cups etc. They're sort of stuck to each other, you mean to take one, and two or three come off the pile. Your hands might be a little sticky if you're in the middle of any kitchenwork too, so I don't return them to the pile.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:04 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
It's not dishes, disposable cups etc. They're sort of stuck to each other, you mean to take one, and two or three come off the pile. Your hands might be a little sticky if you're in the middle of any kitchenwork too, so I don't return them to the pile.

Try slipping your hands into a plastic bag like the one you use to hold produce from the market) before counting out the paper goods. may take a little practice but not too bad if you have strong fingernails. The goods will stay clean and you'll be able to put back any extras. (good also for answering the phone while cooking.)

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:18 pm
hisorerus, I'll join your club. my house is complete chaos during the week. my DH can't stand it. usually Friday is clean-up day, so by shabbos it's presentable. but I would be mortified if a/o walked into my bedroom (ie. the dumping grounds).
I signed up for flybabies emails, but I only got 1! I should really try again, cuz it sure is embarassing when my mom pops in and sees what my living/play room looks like!
I did a mega-cleaning of my sink once, DH though I was nuts- why spend a half-hour cleaning the sink, when the rest of the house is a wreck?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics