Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Must-reads in the Pesach papers?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:44 pm
https://mishpacha.com/stardust/ Stardust

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:50 pm
The Treasure Keeper https://mishpacha.com/the-treasure-keeper/

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:50 pm
I enjoyed the Ami very much. The lunch break interview is a must read was very inspiring. In general, their articles are well researched and edited. Also the stories are structured more on inspiration and awareness, and not causing you to feel judgement or trying to make you think a certain way about issues, as I feel is the theme in other magazines.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:56 pm
Game of Chance https://mishpacha.com/game-of-chance/
I remember this too

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:00 pm
https://mishpacha.com/no-need-for-knives/ no need for knives

shanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:29 pm
Thank you so much HaShem Yaazor! I’m looking forward to reading the links!!!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:19 pm
Thanks Hashem Yaazor. Blasts from the pasts. Some I remembered better than others.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:03 pm
The one story I couldn't actually handle was the story about the Mother-in-law who has access to the top doctors for her daughter's sick child, but the couple is being obstinate and ignores her advice and the offered appointment with the one doctor who might be able to save the baby's eye, instead going to some random doctor that the son-in-law's chavrusa recommended. Sorry, but if you're a MIL out there with a similar story, please speak up and insist on your child listening to you. Go over to your kid and say "I don't care if this destroys my relationship with you, you're making a huge mistake. It's your child's eye we're talking about, and I'm willing to ruin my relationship with you in order to save a little child"

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:34 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
The one story I couldn't actually handle was the story about the Mother-in-law who has access to the top doctors for her daughter's sick child, but the couple is being obstinate and ignores her advice and the offered appointment with the one doctor who might be able to save the baby's eye, instead going to some random doctor that the son-in-law's chavrusa recommended. Sorry, but if you're a MIL out there with a similar story, please speak up and insist on your child listening to you. Go over to your kid and say "I don't care if this destroys my relationship with you, you're making a huge mistake. It's your child's eye we're talking about, and I'm willing to ruin my relationship with you in order to save a little child"

I think the point was that she tried that, and they still insisted on going behind her back and doing it their way, so ultimately she had to come to grips with the fact that this was something she could not control - just like in a situation where there really is nothing to do.

But yes that one was very painful to read! Unless there were serious risks to the option that could save the eye, I wanted to cry for the fictitious baby losing her eye!

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:38 pm
seeker wrote:
I think the point was that she tried that, and they still insisted on going behind her back and doing it their way, so ultimately she had to come to grips with the fact that this was something she could not control - just like in a situation where there really is nothing to do.

But yes that one was very painful to read! Unless there were serious risks to the option that could save the eye, I wanted to cry for the fictitious baby losing her eye!

Exactly. And I guess the author's point was that specifically, about realizing not everything is in our control. Except in a non-fictional adaptation of that fictional story, I wish the MIL would've caused more of a ruckus.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:07 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
Exactly. And I guess the author's point was that specifically, about realizing not everything is in our control. Except in a non-fictional adaptation of that fictional story, I wish the MIL would've caused more of a ruckus.

Trying to remember. Did she ask a rav what her halachic obligation was?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:25 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:

Very painful story but also very unrealistic, I thought.
Its not ike the mother was a caterer or interior decorator, and they could refuse her services bwcause they didnt want her involved.
She is a medical liason! Her kids know that she deals with life and death issues. You dint play with kavod and boundaries when your kids life is at stake.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:59 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Very painful story but also very unrealistic, I thought.
Its not ike the mother was a caterer or interior decorator, and they could refuse her services bwcause they didnt want her involved.
She is a medical liason! Her kids know that she deals with life and death issues. You dint play with kavod and boundaries when your kids life is at stake.

I am definitely a terrible person for thinking this even though its a fiction story but I wanted the daughter and son in law to "learn their lesson" the hard way and was actually disappointed that thing turned out ok for them
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room