Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o fat shaming. Poll re size to see what average REALLY is
  Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next

What size do you wear?
0-2 or below  
 6%  [ 41 ]
4-6  
 19%  [ 132 ]
8-10  
 19%  [ 127 ]
10-12  
 18%  [ 120 ]
14-16  
 15%  [ 106 ]
16-18 or above  
 20%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 663

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Btw size 16/18/20 in the jewish stores isn't usually an average size 16, 18 or 20, but smaller. In macy's I would generally be a Large if tight-fitting an XL. in a jewish store I fit into the largest size (if) and I don't look too big honestly. I have sympathy for this larger than me, I have no idea how they find clothes.

I did see a woman today who appeared to have made two dresses into one; probably because she went to a non frum store and needed the extra fabric for the length.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:40 pm
But the designers' choice to base their prototype for standard sizes on a size far below average definitely affects the way the design translates to plus size.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:43 pm
Also, there are some manufacturers who do have a larger range of sizes. Maybe they redo the whole pattern for the plus size version, but they offer the same garment in different sizes.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:50 pm
southernbubby wrote:
But people here are expecting that the same styles created for standard sizes will be carried over into plus sizes but what ends up is a garment that doesn't fit in the larger sizes.

Except that's not usually true, as Style not Size proves. Or proves to me, at least.

Moreover, the consumer should make that decision. Not a third person saying that certain fashions simply aren't for larger consumers, and they should limit themselves to other choices.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:13 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Except that's not usually true, as Style not Size proves. Or proves to me, at least.

Moreover, the consumer should make that decision. Not a third person saying that certain fashions simply aren't for larger consumers, and they should limit themselves to other choices.

Type in the question in the search bar "why do some stores not sell plus sizes".

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:22 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Type in the question in the search bar "why do some stores not sell plus sizes".

First article under that search:

Quote:
The fact that women’s fashion sizing is less than inclusive is not exactly a new issue. The average female shopper in the U.S. is a 14 or 16 – depending on whose numbers one is looking at, 35 percent to 60 percent of women are defined as “plus-size.” But the average store doesn’t carry plus sizes –14 is generally as large as it gets, which means a woman looking for a larger size will most likely have to find a specialty retailer.

Fashion designers notoriously prefer to design for a “perfectly petite” size four – though most fashion models are in fact a size or two smaller than that. The late Karl Lagerfeld once notoriously said that the closer a model’s physical resemblance to a clothes hanger, the better. Larger women, the explanation often goes, are more complex and difficult to design for, and to ensure that the clothes look exactly as intended, it’s safer to design for the very slender.

As a result, noted Alexandra Waldman, the co-founder and chief creative officer of Universal Standard, plus-sized women are often left to pick from the “best of the worst” when it comes time to shop for clothing. Because clothing for larger people isn’t simply designed to be bigger, she noted, but in many ways, it’s sub-par in terms of design standards and quality.

“For me, it was this trifecta of terribleness. You were either infantilized – you couldn’t buy a T-shirt that didn’t have a kitten or a puppy on it, or some sort of horrible French saying, or you were hyper-sexualized,” Waldman wrote for Quartz. “Your options were this kind of leopard-print bodystocking. The third branch on that trifecta was the very marmy stuff, fabrics that were the cheapest kind of synthetics to the point where you thought if you walked a little too quickly, you might set yourself on fire.”

Your point?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:30 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
After having 3 kids ka”h, I was able to lose weight down to 137 lbs at 5’4 but I was still a size 12.

That’s interesting. I am 5’4” and at the high end of my weight. I’m between 121-132 pounds depending on the season. Now I am at the 132 mark and I wear a size 4 and xs. Sometimes a Small or a size 2. Depending on how it runs.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:40 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
That’s interesting. I am 5’4” and at the high end of my weight. I’m between 121-132 pounds depending on the season. Now I am at the 132 mark and I wear a size 4 and xs. Sometimes a Small or a size 2. Depending on how it runs.

I am 5’4” and when I was 125 I was a size 6. I was never smaller than that.
Now at 160 I’m a size 12/14

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:05 pm
I was just in periwinkle because I saw on this thread that they have bigger sizes. She said that they barely have any bigger sizes left because they sell out so so fast, since so many people need it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:31 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Your point?

It's not just the store to blame. If a frum boutique takes a chance on plus sizes, they have to make sure that the public knows that they are selling it and then they have to hope that the public is pleased with it.
DTC selling (direct to consumer online) is more cost effective for the seller because, say for example size 28, is not commonly purchased enough for one boutique to profit from it.
There is also the element of image and perception in the article you linked that brands that want to attract the "in crowd" stay away from anything that might not be cool or s3xy.
This is why you might not see plus sizes in small stores.
They are not engaged in direct fat shaming but indirect. They are simply avoiding producing for or selling to overweight people because they are afraid that it will either tarnish their brand or sit on the shelves. They are not trying to deny plus size customers anything but they also don't feel the need to provide for them.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I am 5’4” and when I was 125 I was a size 6. I was never smaller than that.
Now at 160 I’m a size 12/14

Sizing is so weird. Every body is diff. I’m 5’5” and weigh 147. I’m a size small and wear size 4-6.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:39 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Sizing is so weird. Every body is diff. I’m 5’5” and weigh 147. I’m a size small and wear size 4-6.

But this is why someone who is 5'5'' and weighs 200 lbs is probably still able to buy a standard size.

GLUE

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I was just in periwinkle because I saw on this thread that they have bigger sizes. She said that they barely have any bigger sizes left because they sell out so so fast, since so many people need it.

Did you ask them why they can't stock more?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:07 pm
I appreciate all those who are taking the time to answer back...
this conversation and having to defend ourselves is draining. It is a great view of exactly what goes on for us in the real world.

I am not sure why people feel the need to challenge our lived experiences. Perhaps there should be a "safe space." I don't have energy to engage any longer with that kind of posts but kudos to those who are hanging on. I think this thread is anyways great in that we're creating awareness what it's like for us and for those open to hearing it's there for the taking. It's sad that we need to be emotionally beaten along the way by people who have never had to deal with this.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I appreciate all those who are taking the time to answer back...
this conversation and having to defend ourselves is draining. It is a great view of exactly what goes on for us in the real world.

I am not sure why people feel the need to challenge our lived experiences. Perhaps there should be a "safe space." I don't have energy to engage any longer with that kind of posts but kudos to those who are hanging on. I think this thread is anyways great in that we're creating awareness what it's like for us and for those open to hearing it's there for the taking. It's sad that we need to be emotionally beaten along the way by people who have never had to deal with this.

We should ask for a safe space, we need to discuss our reality without being treated the way we are by some people. I have been trying to stay away because I just don't need this attitude in my life. It's so disheartening to see people dig in and refuse to learn about a topic they really don't get.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:15 pm
GLUE wrote:
Did you ask them why they can't stock more?

I asked if she will be getting more she said maybe for Shavuot... I should’ve worded it your way though. She said it really flies off the shelves

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:16 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I asked if she will be getting more she said maybe for Shavuot... I should’ve worded it your way though. She said it really flies off the shelves

So are they getting more in any time soon? I just saw you said maybe shavuos lol. I should go check them out.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:18 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
So are they getting more in any time soon? I just saw you said maybe shavuos lol. I should go check them out.

You should probably call and ask before going.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:49 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
We should ask for a safe space, we need to discuss our reality without being treated the way we are by some people. I have been trying to stay away because I just don't need this attitude in my life. It's so disheartening to see people dig in and refuse to learn about a topic they really don't get.

I did look up just why stores avoided plus sizes. I don't think that means that I refuse to learn. It shed a lot of light on why a potentially lucrative business is getting ignored.
I don't believe that creating a safe space will mean better selection and service in stores because being aware or "woke" doesn't necessarily mean activism. If you feel better, though, go for it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:54 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Sorry
Double post again
Page 11 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics