Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o fat shaming. Poll re size to see what average REALLY is
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 11  12  13  Next

What size do you wear?
0-2 or below  
 6%  [ 41 ]
4-6  
 19%  [ 132 ]
8-10  
 19%  [ 127 ]
10-12  
 18%  [ 120 ]
14-16  
 15%  [ 106 ]
16-18 or above  
 20%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 663

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:53 pm
Let's open a store with shlumpy small sizes and glam big sizes. Nothing against small sized people, but this would balance things out a bit.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I have found that in Frum stores most of the clearance rack is small and extra small.

People who are interested in this should look up styles that are sold from the garment district in Los Angeles. Each pack of 5 sizes from XS to XL may be 2, 4,4,4,2 or something like that where the majority is S,M,L. Then look to see how many styles have a plus size option. Just pick something like wholesale long black knit skirts and see how it is sold. Probably the cheaper frum stores are not relying on frum manufacturers only and it costs a lot for a store to produce it's own design.
I wonder why the large size frum public would rather buy at regular stores than at stores that go out of their way to give a selection and service to those sizes. These are small businesses.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Like I said, I was pushed to buy "old lady swing suits" from Lane Bryant at 17. And I was horribly traumatized by that.
I'd like to give my high school daughter the ability to go to "regular" Lakewood stores and buy similar styles to what her friends are wearing.
When she goes to Shabbaton or meets up with friends, she doesn't want to have to mumble that her outfit was purchased at the big and fat store.

And I've asked stores. They've said that *they are an exclusive store and not a place for shlumpy fat clothing*. They had no answer when I said to buy the nice fat clothing.
Bh, there are a few stores that accommodate and I shop there and publicly tell them and others.
Periwinkle in Lakewood

As I said, I hate the world.

Coach your DD to say "I don't like wearing the same things everyone else has, so my mom takes me to a boutique out of town. Don't you love their stuff?" There ARE similar styles for her. We just need to find them.

My girls aren't plus sized, but if I have time, I promise to trawl the net for some ideas for her, because there is nothing I hate more than people who are mean to teenage girls.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
People who are interested in this should look up styles that are sold from the garment district in Los Angeles. Each pack of 5 sizes from XS to XL may be 2, 4,4,4,2 or something like that where the majority is S,M,L. Then look to see how many styles have a plus size option. Just pick something like wholesale long black knit skirts and see how it is sold. Probably the cheaper frum stores are not relying on frum manufacturers only and it costs a lot for a store to produce it's own design.
I wonder why the large size frum public would rather buy at regular stores than at stores that go out of their way to give a selection and service to those sizes. These are small businesses.

Most of the girls we're talking about are not "large" except by frum standards. They wouldn't fit into plus sized fashion.

But more than that. No teen wants to go shopping with her friends and only stare at the scarves and socks. No teen wants to be told "we don't want someone like YOU in our clothing." No teen wants to look entirely different from her peers.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:12 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I chose 14-16.
I used to be 10-12, until my fifth baby (latest), and still have 20-25 lbs to lose. Baby is almost 2.
I'm overweight for myself, and sometimes feel it more than others, but while I don't look thin, I hide it pretty well. I'm 5'5 and in my early30s

I hear you. How do you hide it? I need some tips. I wear shapewear but maybe you do something else? Ty!! Thumbs Up

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Let's open a store with shlumpy small sizes and glam big sizes. Nothing against small sized people, but this would balance things out a bit.

thanks for the laugh, this made me laugh so hard.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Most of the girls we're talking about are not "large" except by frum standards. They wouldn't fit into plus sized fashion.

But more than that. No teen wants to go shopping with her friends and only stare at the scarves and socks. No teen wants to be told "we don't want someone like YOU in our clothing." No teen wants to look entirely different from her peers.

Teens are different than adult women who might have a better experience at a shop that is exclusively for larger sizes. It's the same as the situation with my old lady feet. I don't expect the trendy shoe store to carry old lady shoes. People who need specially fitted bras don't expect to buy a bra off the rack at Macy's.
If enough mothers of large teens demand a bigger selection, maybe the stores will meet the demand but the problem may be with the manufacturer. Maybe it's them that need to be informed that there's a market for their styles in bigger sizes.
The stores that sell school uniforms carry bigger sizes so they got the message.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I think it is all about wanting to project a high end/fancy/exclusive image. They don’t want “unattractive” (not my opinion) people representing their store. I think they would rather limit their costumer base to those who fit the image they want to project. They are happy for everyone else to shop elsewhere.

I agree. Many super high end non Jewish fashion designers have a sizing system with just sizes 0 1 2 and 3 with size 3 being equal to about a size 8 at max I'd say. They don't want fat ppl sullying their brand lol

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:56 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

My age buys that stuff.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:01 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Teens are different than adult women who might have a better experience at a shop that is exclusively for larger sizes. It's the same as the situation with my old lady feet. I don't expect the trendy shoe store to carry old lady shoes. People who need specially fitted bras don't expect to buy a bra off the rack at Macy's.
If enough mothers of large teens demand a bigger selection, maybe the stores will meet the demand but the problem may be with the manufacturer. Maybe it's them that need to be informed that there's a market for their styles in bigger sizes.
The stores that sell school uniforms carry bigger sizes so they got the message.

SouthernBubby, you're doing it again.
You're comparing a teenager buying a dress to wear to Shabbaton, a kalla looking for a vort dress, a young mother of 2 looking for something to wear to her son's upsherin.
You're comparing them to specialty bras and old lady shoes, when according to the poll, 16 and up makes up a significant percentage of frum Jewish Women.

penguin

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:04 pm
I have a couple of very old classic tops that are size 14 and fit me very well, even though in today's sizes I'm definitely at least a large. They are definitely cutting them much smaller!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:12 pm
This is not perfectly on topic, but since bras were mentioned, I want to point out that an estimated 70% of women wear bras that are too small. For some reason, society considers a D cup "big", but cup size is relative and the average bra size is 34DD. So women who know themselves to be small/average don't even try on a D cup.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:14 pm
That is also why bras in general are considered an uncomfortable garment even though a properly fitted and well designed bra can actually be more comfortable than going braless.

syrima

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:17 pm
If we're starting stores, can we also start one for people who are petite and plus size at the same time?
They can't "size up" as easily, are they chopped liver!?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:19 pm
Actually, it has long been my dream to open a semi-custom clothing store where customers shop off a rack and then get each garment custom altered. Problem: I have no idea how to actually do that.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:20 pm
penguin wrote:
I have a couple of very old classic tops that are size 14 and fit me very well, even though in today's sizes I'm definitely at least a large. They are definitely cutting them much smaller!

A 14 is a large, if not an extra large.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:42 pm
I have a pair of OLD jeans from the Gap that are sized as 8. However, today, those very same jeans are the same size at Gap sized ZERO. Women clothes sizing is a load of BULLLL.

Time to start using mens sizing formula for WOMEN!!!! Who's with me??? Hooray Hooray

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:53 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
SouthernBubby, you're doing it again.
You're comparing a teenager buying a dress to wear to Shabbaton, a kalla looking for a vort dress, a young mother of 2 looking for something to wear to her son's upsherin.
You're comparing them to specialty bras and old lady shoes, when according to the poll, 16 and up makes up a significant percentage of frum Jewish Women.

80% are not above a size 16 and probably fewer than 20% of teenagers are upwards of an adult size 16. This makes stores less incentivised to focus on that size range.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:56 pm
southernbubby wrote:
80% are not above a size 16 and probably fewer than 20% of teenagers are upwards of an adult size 16. This makes stores less incentivised to focus on that size range.

Honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Which store doesn't want to enlarge their income by 20%? Wouldn't YOU want a 20% raise in income?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Which store doesn't want to enlarge their income by 20%? Wouldn't YOU want a 20% raise in income?

Obviously there are reasons 🤷🏼‍♀️ maybe someone with a clothing line or store can chip in.
I do know of a clothing line that won’t sell to certain stores that aren’t up to their “standards” so it might be the same thing.
Page 5 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics