Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What price range should we be going for?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:36 pm
Bus drivers get paid very well. He should look into it if he likes driving btw.

Watching another baby in your home is also a good idea

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:40 pm
Why dont you qualify for WIC or medicaid?
If you're not breastfeeding, WIC gives 9 cans of formula its such a big big big help.

Would you be an ABA therapist? No degree necessary its a lot of behavioural activities. I did it when I was in college getting my BA/MS for speech.... it makes good money for no degree

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:40 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yes hopefully after I give birth to this baby I’ll start working again. The hours in the special needs place I used to work at is not really mommy baby friendly. I’d have to go from 3-10 or 12-8
But I think we would both have to work.

I'm asking because I may be considering having someone in my home next year..

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Why dont you qualify for WIC or medicaid?
If you're not breastfeeding, WIC gives 9 cans of formula its such a big big big help.

Would you be an ABA therapist? No degree necessary its a lot of behavioural activities. I did it when I was in college getting my BA/MS for speech.... it makes good money for no degree

Yes- the aba therapists that work with my daughter make $25-$30 an hour.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:56 pm
If thats all you make
You definitely qualify for FS

Also I would go the varIous Latino organizations

You speak Spanish
You said you look hispanic , why shouldnt they help you

happy12

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:56 pm
If he is just getting his license it will be a while until he drives well enough that he can start taking driving lessons for a CDL which is a special license for driving buses and trucks.
Can he find a different type of work to bring in income.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:58 pm
"I really think you should go on food stamps and wic. You are living very tightly. Dh is working as hard as he possibly can so there is no shame in accepting it. Your family has to eat. Being worried out about money all the time is very stressful.
You are also eligible for healthcare as well.
Please look into them."

EXACTLY THIS. please do yourself a favor and get hooked up with what is available. You seem to be very legitimately eligible, and really no shame at all if you are not abusing the programs

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:59 pm
What about the future? Forget the next 3 years, what are your plans for the next 7 years? Maybe you should go on food stamps now and your husband should take some kind of course to pursue a job that can support your family further down the line.

saltandvinegar

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:01 pm
OP, you seem like a very caring special person, yid, and mommy.
If I lived in BP I would love to have you as my babysitter!!! You seem to have a knack for it, would you consider opening up a small gan?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:01 pm
Your rent can not be more than a third of your monthly income. If he is making $2800/month, is that a cash job? Or are taxes coming from that? $2200/month that you asked about before utilities would leave you with $600 for the rest each month. Thats not enough and I would be surprised if you a landlord would give you a lease for that at this point. You also left other bills out of your first post. Cell phones x2, internet at home if you have it, taxis and busses, sheitel wash and sets, mikvah... it all adds up to a lot. Seeing as its your only income, ideally you should not be paying more than $1000/month for rent. Thats not possible in BP. If you insist on staying in BP, you have to make changes. You are expecting but you can still bring in an income by babysitting in your home now. If your husband refuses to allow you to get WIC and foodstamps, he is taking food out of your and your kids mouths.

Fave

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:03 pm
There’s no shame on getting Food Stamps and Wic. If you are eligible, then you are required to take advantage of whatever is out there to help feed your kids. This will free up an extra $400-$600 in available cash each month.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:08 pm
Bshaa tova. Never apologize for your procreation decisions. Which doesn't mean that you don't have to figure out the finances.

Assuming that your husband works or is paid 52 weeks a year, and you're discussing net income, he brings home $36,400 a year.

A $2200 a month apartment would cost you $26,400 a year.

So can you afford to live on $830 a month, including all food, transportation, utilities (if not included), clothes, health insurance, and chagim.

In any case, according to https://www.localize.city/blog.....0%25, your annual salary needs to be 40 times your rent. That means that landlords would require a gross income of $88,000 for your $2200 apartment. I don't know what your DH's gross is, but its not $88,000. And https://www.localize.city/blog.....0%25. says rent should be 30% of net, topping you out at ... well, you're going to need to spend more than that.

I don't think you qualify for food stamps (https://www.ny.gov/services/apply-snap), but I'm no expert. WIC would be a good idea.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:20 pm
It’s food stamps, wic, vouchers for both of your kids
That is a tremendous help you should take.
Take it as a gift from me, it would make me so happy knowing that my taxes went to such a special family.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:21 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
If thats all you make
You definitely qualify for FS

Also I would go the varIous Latino organizations

You speak Spanish
You said you look hispanic , why shouldnt they help you

Why do you think she would qualify for Food Stamps? Their net income is $700 per week, or $36,400 per year, net.

https://www.ny.gov/services/apply-snap places the gross income limit for a family of 4 at $39,300. They're WAY over that.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:24 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Why do you think she would qualify for Food Stamps? Their net income is $700 per week, or $36,400 per year, net.

https://www.ny.gov/services/apply-snap places the gross income limit for a family of 4 at $39,300. They're WAY over that.

They will be a family of 4 in a few months. 36k is less than 39k. Why wouldn't they qualify??

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:29 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
They will be a family of 4 in a few months. 36k is less than 39k. Why wouldn't they qualify??

Because the qualification figure is gross -- before taxes -- while her income seems to be net -- after taxes.

If the income she mentions were gross, she could not possibly be asking if she could afford $2200 a month for an apartment, as their take home would be $2400 to $2600 or so.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:41 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I really think you should go on food stamps and wic. You are living very tightly. Dh is working as hard as he possibly can so there is no shame in accepting it. Your family has to eat. Being worried out about money all the time is very stressful.
You are also eligible for healthcare as well.
Please look into them.

The max earnings allowed for fs for family if 3 is about 2300 a month.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:42 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Because the qualification figure is gross -- before taxes -- while her income seems to be net -- after taxes.

If the income she mentions were gross, she could not possibly be asking if she could afford $2200 a month for an apartment, as their take home would be $2400 to $2600 or so.

I did not get the impression she knows if it is gross or net and when she asks her husband to explain it all, he brushes her off.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:47 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
The max earnings allowed for fs for family if 3 is about 2300 a month.

If she expecting, it's considered a family of 4 iirc.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:52 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
If she expecting, it's considered a family of 4 iirc.

I think for wic and medicaid it does, but family size for food stamps only counts the baby once he/she is born
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics