Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Attn: yeshivish/charedi (semi) fashionistas? Is this awful?
Previous  1  2

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not yeshivish nor am I charedi.
However, I will be visiting and would like not to feel like a fool.
I do cover my hair, but with tichels on the weekday and structured wool or straw hats for Shabbos.
When I am traveling, I don't have the room to pack my Shabbos hats.
Is a black sequin beret like this awful or is it somehow okay?

https://www.amazon.com/VALICLU.....;th=1

I actually own it as it belonged to my mother, but I have never worn it because it seems too glitzy/80's.

For the record, I am in my upper 40s and consider myself a classic dresser. This is not my usual style but I thought when in Rome...(well actually Israel).

Thanks for the advice and I won't be offended if people tell me to burn it LOL

LOL

I think it’s gorgeous I would totally wear it

chanchy123

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:47 pm
LOL. My Bubby A"H wore the exact same berets in the 80s and 90s.
Anyhow, if you like it - wear it. Otherwise either wear your everyday tichel or buy a new head covering here. There are so many options.
I suggest that you just where whatever you want to, because you are going to stick out regardless. In my experience, most or likely all women will be wearing sheitels. I have seen (I mean in my family) chareidi women wear tichels on shabbat as well, but usually these are in a very different style and pattern than non-chareidi women.
Honestly, I'd take the opportunity to tap into the vast head covering fashion industry in Israel and try some new coverings and styles to take home with you. I actually usually wear berets too (but not really that kind).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:26 am
Thanks everyone!

It is actually my mother (who lives in the US) who was horrified at the idea that I am not taking along any shabbos headgear. But now I can be backed by Israeli imamothers who tell me to wear what I want--so tichels it will be!

I will definitely not have time to go shopping before my first Shabbos in Israel, but I will just embrace my otherness and wear a tichel I own.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:38 pm
I'm chareidi in Israel and if I'm not wearing a sheitel, I wear a pre-tied bandana with the longer tails.
I wear them on shabbos too, I just wear prettier ones.
Also, make sure all hair is covered.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:30 pm
A friend of mine took a regular chenille snood (IIRC) and added a fancy band in front for a wedding. It had perhaps some sequins and/or lace & looked quite elegant.

maybe one of these

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 11:05 pm
Why not buy one here? There are gorgeous Shabbos pretieds for 60nis. I’m happy to provide shopping information.

DVOM

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:44 am
When we visit our very yeshivish family in Israel, I do my own thing and hope I don't step on too many toes in the process. I know that from my head to my toes (hair covering, clothing, jewelry, nail polish, makeup, mannerisms, morning yoga, food choices, way of relating to my kids, types of yarmulkes and kids clothing, the toys they play with, everything really!) I don't really fit in. I'd find the effort of trying to blend in exhausting, and in the end, I doubt I'd manage it. There are just too many differences, and many of the differences are so subtle, I don't even realize I'm committing a faux pas until after I've already done or said or worn somthing that's considered odd or irreligious. Thankfully our family loves us, even if they don't always agree with or understand everything we do.

(I will never forget the kerfuffle over one of the 'immodestly dressed' female lego mini-figures one of my boys brought along with us on our last visit. In retrospect, quite hilarious!)

If sparkly is your thing, wear that barret with pride! I think it's kind of retro-cool. I'd wear it!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels