Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/O what house do you think you'd be Sorted into? Explain
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

What house do you think you'd be Sorted into?
Gryffindor  
 11%  [ 8 ]
Hufflepuff  
 18%  [ 13 ]
Ravenclaw  
 58%  [ 41 ]
Slytherin  
 11%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 70

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:18 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I used to be a Ravenclaw (I think a high proportion of Jewish people would sort themselves that way due to our value of knowledge and discourse), but now I’m a Hufflepuff. Ultimately, we gotta care about people.

(Though my true belief is that the sorting system at Hogwarts does more harm than good and should be abolished. Hasn’t anyone Hogwarts got a background in child psychology or development?!? We’re just passing generational trauma onto the next batch of wizards... 😜)

Kids at Hogwarts had to grow up fast!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:18 am
cbsp wrote:
So I thought this analysis was interesting

Why Hermione Is Not a Ravenclaw
https://www.mugglenet.com/2018.....claw/

Maybe it similarly applies to you...

Wow. That does apply to me. I'm not the creative type. Maybe Hufflepuff would've been my House!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:23 am
Aaaaand this is my Sorting on Buzzfeed's quiz.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:38 am
I took the test more than once and was sorted into Gryffindor. I can't say I'm a particularly brave person though lol.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:39 am
scruffy wrote:
But every house produced both good and evil wizards.

Snape was a Slytherin.

Pettigrew was a Gryffindor. (Although honestly I don't think he personifies his house.)

It's like being born under the mazal of Ma'adim: you can choose to become a mass murderer, or instead to be a shochet or mohel Smile

But mazal is nature and being sorted for 7 years of school is more nurture - there’s no reason why someone with a particular nature should then also be limited to only interact with similar people. Wouldn’t you want an impulsive child’s nature to be tempered by (not sublimated or ignored, but influenced by) friendship with a more thought-out child? Why surround a spoiled, racist Slytherin child with more spoiled, racist children unless you want to get racist adults?

It’s not even like the education in each house was intentionally different. Ravenclaws didn’t get more advanced classes and Gryffindors had no battle training - this was a social thing only, not educational.

Integration is important - unless you want to maintain the status quo. Which both the wizarding world and JKR don’t see much of a problem with.

(Stuff like this is why I say that I don’t consider myself a fan of Harry Potter, but I am a fan of the Harry Potter *fandom*. The fan analysis is waaay more interesting and nuanced than anything in the original books.)

keym

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:46 am
The thing is that some characters when it came down to it, their core was so different than everyone expected.
I always wondered. At the very end, when the chips were down, Neville showed himself to be a true Gryffindor brave at heart by standing up to Voldemort. But Narcissa Malfoy when it came down to it, exhibited Hufflepuff behavior- loyalty to loved ones lying for Draco's life. Yet, she was always a Slytherin?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:26 pm
keym wrote:
The thing is that some characters when it came down to it, their core was so different than everyone expected.
I always wondered. At the very end, when the chips were down, Neville showed himself to be a true Gryffindor brave at heart by standing up to Voldemort. But Narcissa Malfoy when it came down to it, exhibited Hufflepuff behavior- loyalty to loved ones lying for Draco's life. Yet, she was always a Slytherin?

Because she acted rather like a Slytherin most of the time.

Is caring about your family at odds with being a Slytherin?

keym

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because she acted rather like a Slytherin most of the time.

Is caring about your family at odds with being a Slytherin?

And Neville acted mostly like a coward, except a few brave moments.

I don't know. I always thought there was something very significant that Harry was saved by Draco's mom's love. I mean the parallels between Harry being saved and surviving because of his mother's love, and Draco's mom.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:40 pm
I always get sorted into Ravenclaw, though I identify as hufflepuff.

I tried Watergirl's link, and dang! Got sorted into Ravenclaw again.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I always get sorted into Ravenclaw, though I identify as hufflepuff.

I tried Watergirl's link, and dang! Got sorted into Ravenclaw again.

It's okay. You can identify as a member of whichever House you want. Use their dorms and bathrooms, too.

Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:21 pm
keym wrote:

I don't know. I always thought there was something very significant that Harry was saved by Draco's mom's love. I mean the parallels between Harry being saved and surviving because of his mother's love, and Draco's mom.

But Neville grew into himself in the 7th book. It's different to have latent potential that manifests when you grow up vs. being an ambitious, oft-cruel snob who loves her family.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Snape was not a good person, though. Brave- yes. Ultimately on the right side- yes. But selfish, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons? You bet. He's a complex character, but I don't think you can call a person like that good.

Why Pettigrew was a Gryffindor is beyond me. I know he was nearly a hatstall, probably because there's no good House to sort him into. It was just by default.

The Houses are still a little too cut-and-dried to represent real life. I'm sure there are many other mazalos besides Ma'adim.

Snape is complex and honestly one of my favorite characters in the series. He struggles with his emotions and duties throughout the books. He's not good or evil, he's real.

Agree that the Houses are too-tightly defined boxes, but that's no different than any other typing system, like the enneagram you mentioned Smile or MBTI. And the Enneagram has 9 options, and MBTI 16, so the 4 Houses make even less space for differences.

Personally, I'll get 2, 5, or 9 on the Enneagram, depending on the quiz. In reality, people fit into multiple boxes at the same time. We're complex too!!

singleagain

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:18 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

(Stuff like this is why I say that I don’t consider myself a fan of Harry Potter, but I am a fan of the Harry Potter *fandom*. The fan analysis is waaay more interesting and nuanced than anything in the original books.)

Oh my God you just put my feelings of the fandom into words amazing

Now for my house so I apologize for school cuz I'm voice to texting

Second I joined a Harry Potter fan writing website and the way it worked was you created a student and went to Hogwarts my first character was sorted into Gryffindor and my first character he was very much meat but except that he was in 11-year-old boy actually he was 12-year-old boy anyways he was very much my personality I put a lot of me into him and I found him in Gryffindor I didn't wasn't trying to get him into any specific house The funny thing is when I was trying to get a specific character into Slytherin she ended up in ravenclaw and when I was trying to get a specific character into Gryffindor she ended up being in Slytherin I had to change her personality a little bit to get her back into Gryffindor

The sorting was done by sorting moderators You would fill out your the moderatoring would be based on the sorting I mean would be based on three priorities of your character plus their strength and their weakness unless you were creating an adult and then that was a slightly different procedure anyways The point is that it was also kind of subjective because there were several different moderators who were sorting hats but it was it was very interesting because you know seeing the different characters and stuff

I also had at one point about 10 different characters and they were in all houses It was really really interesting because I I felt very connected to all of my characters in a different way so I guess I'm kind of all encompassing although me personally if I were to sort myself I would have to say I'm a hybrid griffons or Hufflepuff because the truth is I fell in love with Hufflepuff a little bit later on you know

so that's my rambling post of the day that's my rambling post of the day

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:21 pm
scruffy wrote:
Snape is complex and honestly one of my favorite characters in the series. He struggles with his emotions and duties throughout the books. He's not good or evil, he's real.

Agree that the Houses are too-tightly defined boxes, but that's no different than any other typing system, like the enneagram you mentioned Smile or MBTI. And the Enneagram has 9 options, and MBTI 16, so the 4 Houses make even less space for differences.

Personally, I'll get 2, 5, or 9 on the Enneagram, depending on the quiz. In reality, people fit into multiple boxes at the same time. We're complex too!!

I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, Snape is a very real person, but at the same time, he is undeniably a mean person in the day-to-day. From a frumkeit perspective, someone like that is terrible bein adam lachaveiro. Yes, he's understandable. Yes, his childhood was miserable. But the way he treated his students is inexcusable. Yes, James bullied him, and his vengeance is totally understandable- but how he continued to treat Harry? Disgusting.

The Houses are much more narrowly defined than the MBTI or Enneagram. If you include the wings on the Enneagram, you have a lot more variations. Four traits? And those specific four? That's a lot.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:28 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
But mazal is nature and being sorted for 7 years of school is more nurture - there’s no reason why someone with a particular nature should then also be limited to only interact with similar people. Wouldn’t you want an impulsive child’s nature to be tempered by (not sublimated or ignored, but influenced by) friendship with a more thought-out child? Why surround a spoiled, racist Slytherin child with more spoiled, racist children unless you want to get racist adults?

It’s not even like the education in each house was intentionally different. Ravenclaws didn’t get more advanced classes and Gryffindors had no battle training - this was a social thing only, not educational.

Integration is important - unless you want to maintain the status quo. Which both the wizarding world and JKR don’t see much of a problem with.

Interesting what you're saying about social classes. We also tend to box people in early as a society- the kid who learns to play Mary Had a Little Lamb will get the piano lessons and get better. We create our own self fulfilling prophecies. But good point about in HP, there is no difference in education between houses.

I agree by putting people with their own type, you perpetuate the existing social structure. They're kind of indoctrinated that their group is the best. Reminds me of Brave New World: betas are taught to be glad that they're a beta etc. "I'm glad I'm not a horrid gamma" etc.

Scotty

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:33 pm
As a kid, Gryffindor, because I would have thought it the noblest thing.

As a teen, Ravenclaw, because I would have thought the pursuit of knowledge the ultimate thing. (I mean teenaged me was pretty close, but...)

As an adult? Hufflepuff. They seem to prize the traits a wise and healthy adult wants most to cultivate - resilience, balance, satisfaction, joy.

Slytherin must have its pluses too. But it’s hard to extrapolate them from the limited data set of nasty characters we see in the books.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, Snape is a very real person, but at the same time, he is undeniably a mean person in the day-to-day. From a frumkeit perspective, someone like that is terrible bein adam lachaveiro. Yes, he's understandable. Yes, his childhood was miserable. But the way he treated his students is inexcusable. Yes, James bullied him, and his vengeance is totally understandable- but how he continued to treat Harry? Disgusting.

The Houses are much more narrowly defined than the MBTI or Enneagram. If you include the wings on the Enneagram, you have a lot more variations. Four traits? And those specific four? That's a lot.

Maybe I am Slytherin after all, I'm so bent on defending Snape!

Yes he is nasty to his students, and to others. But to me it always feels like he's constantly examining his inner world. He's honest to himself and in the end, he triumphs.

I think as humans we love labeling ourselves as much as we love showing how we're unique. Four Houses as opposed to thirty just brings the harsh lines drawn between groups across more blatantly.

Definitely agree that the four traits of the houses are random, sometimes I think that J. K. Rowling literally pulled them out of a hat Wink They have no shaychus to each other.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:47 pm
keym wrote:

That is a fascinating observation which I never thought of before!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:47 pm
scruffy wrote:
Maybe I am Slytherin after all, I'm so bent on defending Snape!

Yes he is nasty to his students, and to others. But to me it always feels like he's constantly examining his inner world. He's honest to himself and in the end, he triumphs.

I think as humans we love labeling ourselves as much as we love showing how we're unique. Four Houses as opposed to thirty just brings the harsh lines drawn between groups across more blatantly.

Definitely agree that the four traits of the houses are random, sometimes I think that J. K. Rowling literally pulled them out of a hat Wink They have no shaychus to each other.

Is Snape really honest with himself? Does he acknowledge that he doesn't see Harry clearly? Does he truly recognize that Voldemort is bad, or does he only join the good side because Voldemort killed Lily? Like, say if Lily had stepped aside and Voldemort had killed baby Harry. Would Snape have remained a Death Eater? Probably.

I thought that the distinction between purebloods and Muggle-borns was supposed to represent the whole boxing in/racial stuff.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:56 pm
I like the explanation that the Sorting Hat sees what you value, and sorts accordingly. Hermione might be brilliant, but she values bravery.

And I quote:

“Books! And cleverness! There are more important things! — Friendship! And Bravery!”

(That other explanation about being open-minded was also interesting.)

It does seem rather random to take only 4 values and sort all of humanity accordingly. Then again, I feel the same about the enneagram 9 and the MBTI 16.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room