Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
UK English vrs US English - light thread
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 11:29 am
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
I remember years ago my Australian sil, newly graduated, tried to reach a friend and said, "she's engaged."
I said, "Oh, your friend is engaged?"
She explained that she meant that her phone line was busy.

Too funny!
We say it's engaged (as in the phone)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 11:57 am
Roundabout- circle
Giveway- yield
Fun fair- amusement park
Bounce castle- moonwalk
Tip ex- white out
Petrol- gas

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Roundabout- circle
Giveway- yield
Fun fair- amusement park
Bounce castle- moonwalk
Tip ex- white out
Petrol- gas

A funfair is a small area of rides. Like at a beach or a park.

We say amusement Park or a theme park for the big places, like Chessington, alton towers etc...

perquacky

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:48 pm
Here's one that I still don't understand.

Pudding = dessert

So, if you're having a slice of cake after dinner, would you be eating cake for your pudding?

Then what is pudding (as in chocolate, vanilla, rice, tapioca pudding) called?

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:49 pm
perquacky wrote:

Pudding = dessert

So, if you're having a slice of cake after dinner, would you be eating cake for your pudding?

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"

Also, in some places the evening meal is called tea. So you could have spaghetti and meatballs for tea.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:51 pm
perquacky wrote:

Pudding = dessert

I've never heard anyone in England calling dessert 'pudding'. Where do you get that from?

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
Also, in some places the evening meal is called tea. So you could have spaghetti and meatballs for tea.

No one calls the evening meal tea. Tea is the old fashioned iconic snack sit-down at 4pm.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:54 pm
"Pudding" and "tea" are definitely things, I know those from my online communities. I don't think in England, but the thread title says "UK," so...

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:54 pm
I think people are getting ideas from books that are set in the background of the 19th century Very Happy

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:56 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
"Pudding" and "tea" are definitely things, I know those from my online communities. I don't think in England, but the thread title says "UK," so...

Tea was definitely a thing in old fashioned England, but it was never an evening meal.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:58 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Tea was definitely a thing in old fashioned England, but it was never an evening meal.

There is somewhere in the UK where it is. I see this usage all the time in my baby feeding group.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:00 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
There is somewhere in the UK where it is. I see this usage all the time in my baby feeding group.

As a hot evening meal? Tea would be around 4pm. (Though I've never heard of anyone doing it in contemporary England. Though yes, people do still drink tea.)

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:03 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

This is old school talk, so older yidden might call dessert pudding but most just don't. I've heard of non Jews calling it that.

Same goes for tea really.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
I've never heard anyone in England calling dessert 'pudding'. Where do you get that from?

im from England never heard of such a thing

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:32 pm
[quote="amother [ Linen ]"]I remember replying on a thread about baby bottles and talking about the 'teat'. Apparently you Americans call it a 'nipple'.

Also a stroller would be a buggy or a pram (short fcall a carrycot not a bassinet).[or the classic prambulator). A pram usually refers to a bassinet style stroller (which we /quote]

I'm BBB - I remember from my childhood that what my Mummy called a carrycot, was the bassinet part without the wheels, which could be carried.

Who remembers the huge "Silver Cross" prams in England about 40 years ago?
No way could that monstrosity be taken on the bus.
The good part of it was it had good springs which made it easier to push and pull up steps.
We kids called it a limousine b.c it was so spacious and nice looking. We had navy n silver colour.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:39 pm
[quote="amother [ Daylily ]"]
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I remember replying on a thread about baby bottles and talking about the 'teat'. Apparently you Americans call it a 'nipple'.

Also a stroller would be a buggy or a pram (short fcall a carrycot not a bassinet).[or the classic prambulator). A pram usually refers to a bassinet style stroller (which we /quote]

I'm BBB - I remember from my childhood that what my Mummy called a carrycot, was the bassinet part without the wheels, which could be carried.

Who remembers the huge "Silver Cross" prams in England about 40 years ago?
No way could that monstrosity be taken on the bus.
The good part of it was it had good springs which made it easier to push and pull up steps.
We kids called it a limousine b.c it was so spacious and nice looking. We had navy n silver colour.

Yes of course, my mother had the same great silver cross pram for all 5 of us. You could fit triplets in it bc it was so big lol! My mother loved it and talks about it nostalgically.

Even for my youngest brother she used it in the garden when they were sat outside. She didn't use it for shopping trips etc. He's 22.5 now

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:46 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Teatime around late afternoon on the dot: a trolley was wheeled into the room where the family was seated around the table. On the trolley was small china cups and saucers, a matching china jug filled with tea n water, a smaller china jug of milk, and sugar. And serviettes.
Remember tea - an English cuppa tea is with milk. I still drink it. Delicious. Next to the tea one could eat a scone or biscuits.
Mealtime was very proper: everyone sat up straight without elbows on the tables, no slouching, no slurping, and everyone ate with a knife, fork and spoon at all meals. I'm still so happy that table manners was ingrained in me.

The evening meal was a cooked meal called supper.
I still call it supper.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Oh and in England, if you're not feeling well, you have a tummy ache and make sick
In America, you're not feeling good, have a stomach bug and throw up.
And don't tell an American that it's spitting outside (very lightly raining). They'll think that you've gone mad! (Crazy)

I never heard the word "spitting' used for light rain. We'd say, "it's drizzling outside."

I wonder if in different parts of England, like Manchester, Gateshead etc. some words are different than in London? The accents and dialects are certainly different.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
Teatime around late afternoon on the dot: a trolley was wheeled into the room where the family was seated around the table. On the trolley was small china cups and saucers, a matching china jug filled with tea n water, a smaller china jug of milk, and sugar. And serviettes.
Remember tea - an English cuppa tea is with milk. I still drink it. Delicious. Next to the tea one could eat a scone or biscuits.
Mealtime was very proper: everyone sat up straight without elbows on the tables, no slouching, no slurping, and everyone ate with a knife, fork and spoon at all meals. I'm still so happy that table manners was ingrained in me.

The evening meal was a cooked meal called supper.
I still call it supper.

Can I ask what age group you're in?

We weren't so proper growing up. No tea time and we could practically do as we liked at the table. I suppose every family is different. I'm in my early 30's

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:00 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
I never heard the word "spitting' used for light rain. We'd say, "it's drizzling outside."

I wonder if in different parts of England, like Manchester, Gateshead etc. some words are different than in London? The accents and dialects are certainly different.

We say spitting. Manchester Smile
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics