Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
UK English vrs US English - light thread
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So.. having been married to a Brit for many years before finally moving to the uk, I thought I knew all the words. Well, apparently I don’t. I went to the store to ask for a porta crib because I’m waiting for my lift to arrive and she said, “welcome to England. Get with the program. We don’t sell porta cribs, they are banned from the uk for safety reasons. We sell cot beds and cots. And you aren’t waiting for the elevator you are waiting for your container.” 🙄

I’ll think of many other stories.

I knew cribs were cots. But I thought elevators were lifts.
And I believe cars have tyres. And they're parked in carparks. If you want to rent one, you hire one.
Sometimes when the word hospital is used, the article "the" is omitted.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:49 pm
"On holiday" for "on vacation"

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:06 pm
Posh - fancy

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:26 pm
As a Brit living in the states Ive had to live the differences.
I find that due to media and for the frum world the fact that books are primarily published here in the US , the Brits are very familiar with Americanisms and its not a big deal.
However the Americans are like what?!?Whats that etc. ?!? A cupboard!!! Whats a cupboard ( cabinet/ closet)

They literally published the first Harry Potter book with a different title. ( sorcerer vs philosopher) and changed words inside.
I cant understand why things cant be culturally accurate and expose people to different cultures.
So theres my rant. But this is meant to be a light thread.
. So what else can I add

Cutlery for silverware
Serviettes for napkins
( never heard of sanitary pads being called napkins in the UK. Maybe in Canada)

And finally heres one that took a while to figure out. In a heirachy “quite”in the US is on a different level than in the UK.

Heres the example:

Excellent
Very good
Good
Quite good
OK
Needs improvement

Vs
Excellent
Very good
Quite good
Good
OK
Needs improvement.

Which is which?

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
I find that due to media and for the frum world the fact that books are primarily published here in the US , the Brits are very familiar with Americanisms and its not a big deal.
However the Americans are like what?!?Whats that etc. ?!? A cupboard!!! Whats a cupboard ( cabinet/ closet)?

As an American, I am shocked to hear that Americans are bewildered by 'cupboard.' Even if you don't say it yourself, what about Old Mother Hubbard?

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:56 pm
At my engagement party I mentioned to my English mil that the women are in the den. She wanted to know if we own lions.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:56 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
As an American, I am shocked to hear that Americans are bewildered by 'cupboard.' Even if you don't say it yourself, what about Old Mother Hubbard?

I guess the Americans I encounter aren’t familiar with old mother hubbard….
Shocked may be to much of a harsh word.
There is a reaction more than we have in England. Where its more of a laugh as in , “oh that’s a vest!”
But then thats all cultural.

Ive been trying to think of words my kids complain about. ..:
I think they complain more about my pronounciation than anything… I say things wrong!

How about torch for flashlight

Brownies

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:00 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
However the Americans are like what?!?Whats that etc. ?!? A cupboard!!! Whats a cupboard ( cabinet/ closet)

They literally published the first Harry Potter book with a different title. ( sorcerer vs philosopher) and changed words inside.
I cant understand why things cant be culturally accurate and expose people to different cultures.
So theres my rant. But this is meant to be a light thread.
. So what else can I add

Cutlery for silverware
Serviettes for napkins
( never heard of sanitary pads being called napkins in the UK. Maybe in Canada)

And finally heres one that took a while to figure out. In a heirachy “quite”in the US is on a different level than in the UK.

Heres the example:

Excellent
Very good
Good
Quite good
OK
Needs improvement

Vs
Excellent
Very good
Quite good
Good
OK
Needs improvement.

Which is which?

I would say first is British, second is American....am I right?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:11 pm
So after I had lived in America for probably a good 10 years or so, I was hosting an English guest. He commented that whatever food he was eating was so nice. I was soooo surprised!!! Apparently I hadn’t noticed in my entire life that British people describe delicious food as being nice. Since then, I have noticed it multiple times, and horror - even from my own mother!! I love lots of things British, but that one is just odd!
Btw, American daddy long legs and British daddy long legs are one and the same! It’s not a spider, it’s one of those flying things that have long legs that bend, and 2 thin wings. They usually fly inside the house when it’s dark outside and the front door is open!
Anyone here ever read the book daddy long legs? Read it as a kid and loved it!!!!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:26 pm
I'm a brit living in the states for a few years now. Loving this thread!
A few things I've noticed-
American's don't say "I can't be bothered"
The best replacement is "I don't have patience for..." But it's just not the same Smile
They don't say "it's a good job that..." Instead, they'll say "it's a good thing that..."
They also don't generally say "parents in law" in conversation, usually just shorten it to " in laws". Which I find confusing because in laws could be more than just parents in law Scratching Head

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:36 pm
Brownies wrote:
I would say first is British, second is American....am I right?

Yep!

Totally agree about the use of NICE

and about the lack of replacement for
“I cant be bothered”. Although I actually assign that to the good value of being driven and ambitious in Americans.

I also will add that sometimes I literally forget the British word.
Like what did we call Bookbags/ backpacks.
Did we say Satchels?
Tests / exams / quizzes seem different to.

On school related words

Tick for check
Full stop for period
Break -recess
School dinner - school lunch
Headmistress/ head master for principal
What did we call a period in high school? And that we called senior school.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:48 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
I’m in my 30’s, a Brit living in the US for quite a number of years and blimey is one of my fave words! I use it all the time!!!

ME TOO! and my son's British teacher living in the USA always says 'cheerio'

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:59 pm
Haha I say cheerio also, but I’m not your sons teacher!
Anyone else have this issue…. August comes along, the school supply lists are sent, and you look at it and wonder what on earth they want????
Each year I suffer!! A 1 inch binder, a 2 inch binder, a folder with pockets, without pockets, a this a that, I never know if I’m getting the correct item!
When we were kids in England the school supplied our exercise books (here in the US they’re called composition books or marble notebooks or something else confusing!) and we brought a pencil case with whatever we thought was necessary and that was about it. No?
I’m a very normal, well adjusted, extremely capable woman, but American school supply lists will forever confuse me!! LOL

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:43 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
ME TOO! and my son's British teacher living in the USA always says 'cheerio'

Funny this reminds me of another word, porridge - oatmeal. We found this out after my son was telling a friend of his whose mother is American sth about having porridge for breakfast. His friend didnt know what that was and after my son described it he said oh you mean oatmeal!

A period we just call a lesson, as in first lesson second lesson.
When I was younger we called high school grammar school but now my kids call it high school. I think in stamfordhill they called it senior school?
I find what Americans have a harder time with is the British accent. When I'm in America I sometimes have to use an American accent in order to be understood whereas here in England we generally have no problem understanding Americans. That could be because of media etc. Also we call it America not the US.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:16 am
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Haha I say cheerio also, but I’m not your sons teacher!
Anyone else have this issue…. August comes along, the school supply lists are sent, and you look at it and wonder what on earth they want????
Each year I suffer!! A 1 inch binder, a 2 inch binder, a folder with pockets, without pockets, a this a that, I never know if I’m getting the correct item!
When we were kids in England the school supplied our exercise books (here in the US they’re called composition books or marble notebooks or something else confusing!) and we brought a pencil case with whatever we thought was necessary and that was about it. No?
I’m a very normal, well adjusted, extremely capable woman, but American school supply lists will forever confuse me!! LOL

yep. its my biggest challenge since moving here.... school supplies....

Debbie

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:20 am
Two that I can think of:
Side walk in USA, pavement in UK.
Aluminum in USA, aluminium in UK.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:48 am
lol. No one understands me with my American accent. English folks are too proud to admit they can understand what I’m saying… but anyway, let’s carry on… good girl.

Tin- cans
Corridor - hallway
Thongs - flip flops
Sofa - couch
Bill - check
Underground - subway
Subway- underpass
Autumn - fall
Trainers - sneakers
Hoover - vacuum
Fag - cigarette
Solicitor - lawyer
Let - rent
Film - movie
Full stop - period
Take away - takeout
Post code - zip code
Milky- dairy
Meaty- meat
Maths- math

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:58 am
Are there stinging nettles in the USA? My american friend was in the UK for a few months when she realised that stinging nettles were not a fictional plant from Harry Potter but actually exist. In far too large numbers I might say.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:11 am
Someone told me recently that 'chuffed' which means 'flattered' in British, means the opposite in American.
Is this true?
eg. in British English we would say "I'm so chuffed that you like the cake I baked".

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 5:02 am
The British are really generous with the word 'gorgeous' like 'Oh she is GORGEOUS' Americans are only using that in my experience as ''pretty'' or handsome'' while British use 'gorgeous' as ''she is everything'' like when they are all over some one. Next thread I will give a little Dutch lesson ok? =)
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics