Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
Building collapse surfside Miami Florida
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ppl must’ve been saved immediately and the news isn’t publicizing it. Like I was reading there is a man Edgar Gonzalez missing from the ninth floor but his wife and daughter were saved.
I’d assume there are more ppl who survived immediately.
And unfortunately they are recovering as they work but not enough to identify right now.

It was very public that 35 people were rescued from the building right away. They were pulled from trapped doorways and balconies. They were not pulled from beneath the rubble but were pulled from the wreckage. 2 of those were pulled from the upper rubble (hand sticking out) and only 1 of the 2 survived.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
Or
It is possible that the fire department and mayor are making critical mistakes as they never dealt with such a catastrophe and arr unequipped. They didnt even start searching for a day. The families are allowed to question the decisions when its life and deAth

Everything and anything is possible, and everyone / anyone is allowed to vent. The thought that 156 people are trapped under rubble going into the fourth day now is just horrifying. With every moment passing by, the chance of anyone being found alive is just being reduced. They're not looking for a needle in the haystack, they are looking for 156 people! Why have hardly been located? Building have collapsed before, and the response never seemed to be so slow paced.

But on the flip side - the debris pile is so unstable that it took 20 hours to stabilize it to make it safe for rescuers. There are noxious gases, fires, fumes in the air, and debilitating heat that makes things tougher for rescuers. The debris is literally pancaked onto itself, so any one wrong move can send things flying in the wrong direction. The first goal of any rescue effort is not to create more casualties. So what is one to do in such an impossible situation.

If I, as an outsider, am frustrated at the pace of this rescue attempt, I can only imagine the torment and suffering of those who have loved ones involved.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
It was very public that 35 people were rescued from the building right away. They were pulled from trapped doorways and balconies. They were not pulled from beneath the rubble but were pulled from the wreckage. 2 of those were pulled from the upper rubble (hand sticking out) and only 1 of the 2 survived.

That is why I’m confused. I assumed the same.
But it clearly says that from a family in a ninth floor apartment that collapsed the wife and child were rescued and in hospital and husband is still missing
So they must’ve rescued them sometime?

windchime

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:14 am
Um whoa. Calm down. Yes everyone understnds the responders are selfless and risking their lives but it does seem like the rate the organizers are going is so slow that whoever is alive will die. So even if they are saving lives by going slowly there will be just bodies to pull out. In other wreckages people seemed to move much faster and save lives

This.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That is why I’m confused. I assumed the same.
But it clearly says that from a family in a ninth floor apartment that collapsed the wife and child were rescued and in hospital and husband is still missing
So they must’ve rescued them sometime?

They were rescued from the balcony and hallway.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:21 am
Or
It is possible that the fire department and mayor are making critical mistakes as they never dealt with such a catastrophe and arr unequipped. They didnt even start searching for a day. The families are allowed to question the decisions when its life and deAth

In these situations the local mayor and fire department are NOT making these decisions. The most experienced search and rescue teams from Florida and then from around the country and the world are making the decisions. The only time a local fire department would be running this kind of operation would be if they were an elite squad from an major city like NY - the kind of rescue squads that are transported to other locations when a disaster like this strikes.

The reason why I and other people find this line of criticism offensive is that it so completely lacks any kind of knowledge of how things actually are in the REAL WORLD and it is in line with other fantastic conspiracy stuff that I have read here and elsewhere on the internet.

To say that something is "off" implies there is either incompetence or even worse - malfeasance. It is slandering people who are literally risking their lives in horrendous conditions which are both dangerous and incredibly unpleasant. Working in dark places which are wet, dangerous and hot and humid given current Florida weather.

And shame on all of the people posting anonymously - I thought several weeks ago that Yael and others moderating had requested that imamother only be used when there was truly a reason for shielding one's screen identity. What possible reason could there be for doing this on a thread about a tragedy unless one is not willing to be associated with the ideas one is promulgating.

ETA - Your information is not even correct on the small details. They started searching immediately. It was in the middle of the night so they did what they could do under the chaotic immediate circumstances and managed to rescue people who were stranded in the building. They certainly did NOT WAIT A DAY to begin the search. Where are you getting this kind of wrong information. They immediately started searching the debris as soon as they were able to do so without endangering survivors or the rescuers by causing further collapses of the debris pile. That was NOT the "next day" - the next morning - the collapse happened at 1:30 AM/

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:29 am
Amarante wrote:
In these situations the local mayor and fire department are NOT making these decisions. The most experienced search and rescue teams from Florida and then from around the country and the world are making the decisions. The only time a local fire department would be running this kind of operation would be if they were an elite squad from an major city like NY - the kind of rescue squads that are transported to other locations when a disaster like this strikes.

The reason why I and other people find this line of criticism offensive is that it so completely lacks any kind of knowledge of how things actually are in the REAL WORLD and it is in line with other fantastic conspiracy stuff that I have read here and elsewhere on the internet.

To say that something is "off" implies there is either incompetence or even worse - malfeasance. It is slandering people who are literally risking their lives in horrendous conditions which are both dangerous and incredibly unpleasant. Working in dark places which are wet, dangerous and hot and humid given current Florida weather.

And shame on all of the people posting anonymously - I thought several weeks ago that Yael and others moderating had requested that imamother only be used when there was truly a reason for shielding one's screen identity. What possible reason could there be for doing this on a thread about a tragedy unless one is not willing to be associated with the ideas one is promulgating.

Thank you, Amarante, for taking the time to write this. You explained it better than I could.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:31 am
Amarante wrote:

Please stop shaming people and pointing fingers. These situations don't only involve logic, there are emotions involved too. While everyone logically understands that the rescuers are trying their utmost best, their emotions still push to the surface and they are allowed to vent freely.

It's a horrifying situation, don't add to the pain by shaming and pointing fingers. The rescuers are trained in this aspect and understand the raw emotions that come with the territory. When they encounter such behavior, they only offer understanding and care. They truly are heroes in every sense of the word.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
They were rescued from the balcony and hallway.

“The duo fell from the ninth floor to the fifth floor as the building crumbled, leaving Ms Gonzalez with a broken pelvis.“
They were in the same condo as their father when the building collapsed.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:59 am
For those who think there was something other than a structural cause, here is footage from inside an apartment at the moment the building started collapsing. There is no blast but just a series of creaky noises and you can see that stuff is slowly falling until the screen goes black because the unit itself has collapsed.

The owner of this unit had a security camera but wasn't in the apartment and the footage was fed to some external storage like her phone.

https://twitter.com/_rosiesant.....92512

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:30 am
All I'm gonna say is that I really hope this building isn't owned by Jews, considering the info that's coming out regarding major structural damage that the owners had knowledge of https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0......html

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
All I'm gonna say is that I really hope this building isn't owned by Jews, considering the info that's coming out regarding major structural damage that the owners had knowledge of https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0......html

This is a condo so the homeowners own the building and are responsible for repairs and maintenance of the common area.

There are probably lots of factors which came together to cause the catastrophic collapse - deferred maintenance; excavation of the building next to it; the type of limestone "soil" it was built on; proximity to the sea air which causes accelerated deterioration of building materials.

Unfortunately because of how condos work, the time frame in terms of when they got the engineer's report to when they started repairs is not that long especially since COVID would have slowed things down. A condo board is made up of volunteers. It takes a long time for them to hire experts - digest the information - determine what needs to be done - send it out for bids in terms of repairs.

AND they need to deal with homeowners who don't want to pay money for expensive repairs. The repairs recommended by the engineer would have meant a special assessment for homeowners for between $80,000 and $200,000 - that is in addition to their normal monthly maintenance. I have lived in condos and been on the Board and it is difficult if not impossible to get homeowners to agree to that kind of assessment. You have to handle it carefully with lots of informational meetings which takes time.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:43 am
Another expert crew arrives.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ....._link

boat

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:45 am
There's a live press conference going on now

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/li...../#app

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:58 am
I agree with those that feel that this is being mismanaged. Why is it taking so long to go through the rubble? There are 156 people stuck!?!! It makes no sense to me why it’s taking so many days! I have heard all the explanations but it still doesn’t really answer why they aren’t going through it at a rapid pace. Anyone who lived for an excruciating 3 days is probably not alive anymore due to the slow pace. That is really heartbreaking

boat

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 12:12 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
I agree with those that feel that this is being mismanaged. Why is it taking so long to go through the rubble? There are 156 people stuck!?!! It makes no sense to me why it’s taking so many days! I have heard all the explanations but it still doesn’t really answer why they aren’t going through it at a rapid pace. Anyone who lived for an excruciating 3 days is probably not alive anymore due to the slow pace. That is really heartbreaking

They said at the press conference there were crews on standby should Miami Dade rescue team need help, but they haven't called them in yet.
With all due respect to their efforts I smell some pride standing in the way.

Ima Piano

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 12:12 pm
Death toll rises to nine
How many more can they find
They race against time
Against the clock
The shift changes
It never stops
Agonizing each moment that passes by
Feels like four years not days
That they try
They are working hard we know
They are
But its hard to believe
When we wait in the dark
When family members lay crushed
And lost
When despair rings
And you feel no matter the cost
They need to try harder
To dig out our friends
And family
Don't they realize
Each minute
Is agony?
Its tough in the heat
To dig and to work
They've been flown in
Their jobs do not shirk
We need to keep hoping and praying
Hope never dies
Maybe they will find
Someone alive

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 12:17 pm
the IDF search and rescue crew is going in B"H
May Hashem Bench them with success in every way for revealed good.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
the IDF search and rescue crew is going in B"H
May Hashem Bench them with success in every way for revealed good.

Amen!! They rep said that he saved a man in Haiti after a few days, so he's hoping to do the same here.
THERE'S NOTHING IN THE WORLD LIKE ISRAEL and their willingness to help!! With all its politics and division.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 8:15 pm
Hate being negative but not one person found since the morning?

Will this take several months?
Page 10 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed