Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Hasidic Mother of 10 Becomes Doctor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

sky

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:10 pm
pause wrote:
She got married in 2008 and already has 10 kids? Wow! (OK, there's a set of twins there, but still...) I wonder if her DH's two kids are counted in the 10 total.

But what's up with the moving from CH to Monsey to Florida?

An article said her dh was married before. He had children from previous marriage.
When you get a residency you go we’re you get it. She is lucky it’s in Florida and not in middle of no where.
It also made it sound like her husband was in a position to help a lot.

Zehava

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:12 pm
sky wrote:
An article said her dh was married before. He had children from previous marriage.
When you get a residency you go we’re you get it. She is lucky it’s in Florida and not in middle of no where.

She’s an army brat, so I’m guessing moving around is normal to her

sky

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:14 pm
Zehava wrote:
She’s an army brat, so I’m guessing moving around is normal to her

Right but moving 9 or 10 chassidish children is very different then moving around as a non frum kid.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:14 pm
Did people actually read the article or are they attacking her and the article reflexively

Her husband was very supportive as were the children. He changed shifts so he could be available for them when she wasn't physically able. She figured out a way to study at home and incorporate her children as part of her "team".

From the article

Every obstacle seems to get blown out of the way,” said Mr. Friedman, who received a dean’s award from Touro for being a supportive spouse. “It makes me realize that this was just meant to be. This is what she’s meant to do.”

He began working nights in order to tend the children during the day.

Far from being a distraction, Dr. Friedman said her busy family life provided balance and stress relief from the tense demands of studying for boards and exams.

Instead of hitting the library with her fellow students, she studied at home with her children around her. They quizzed her with flash cards and adorned her anatomy and surgery textbooks with brightly colored stickers. They watched her practice her sutures before bedtime.

Dr. Friedman’s children adorned her anatomy and surgery textbooks with brightly colored stickers.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jun 25 2021, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

BokerTov

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:16 pm
pause wrote:
She got married in 2008 and already has 10 kids? Wow! (OK, there's a set of twins there, but still...) I wonder if her DH's two kids are counted in the 10 total.

But what's up with the moving from CH to Monsey to Florida?

Her oldest is 21, don’t know the history but she didn’t birth 10 kids since 2008...

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:17 pm
Again from the article for those who didn't seem to actually read it.

Touro’s sensitivity to Orthodox students, she said, made it “an easier sale” to the rabbi, who recounted a story about how his grandfather, also a rabbi, once urged a woman in Israel to become a midwife to help other Hasidic women.

He ultimately agreed, even after Dr. Friedman wondered if her friend was right about her becoming a cashier instead.

“He said absolutely not — he wanted me to be of service to my community,” said Dr. Friedman, who interviewed for admission to medical school four days after giving birth to the couple’s seventh child.

Zehava

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:17 pm
sky wrote:
Right but moving 9 or 10 chassidish children is very different then moving around as a non frum kid.

I know more than one family who moved around a lot because the father was a pedophile or a criminal and running from the law and society.
These kids have each other and if their parents are supportive they’ll be okay.
It may be hard and a bit uncomfortable but not the worst thing.
I actually think the fact that there are a lot of them is a boon in this case.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:19 pm
What is the Touro College of Osteopathic medicine? Is that a regular medical school?

Anyway, mazel tov!

If she moved from Crown Heights isn't she chabad?

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:20 pm
BokerTov wrote:
Her oldest is 21, don’t know the history but she didn’t birth 10 kids since 2008...

Her husband was a widower with 2 kids before they married. I think the oldest two of the 10 are his kids from previous marriage. Also she has at least one set of twins that the article mentions.

Edit: sorry, didn't read previous posts.

pause

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:30 pm
sky wrote:

Her DH was a widower when she married him. My question was if the 10 includes her DH's two from before. Like, did Alexandra give birth to 10 kids in 13 years or did she (only) birth 8? Either way, major accomplishment.

greenhelm

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
Did people actually read the article or are they attacking her and the article reflexively

Her husband was very supportive as were the children. He changed shifts so he could be available for them when she wasn't physically able. She figured out a way to study at home and incorporate her children as part of her "team".

From the article

Every obstacle seems to get blown out of the way,” said Mr. Friedman, who received a dean’s award from Touro for being a supportive spouse. “It makes me realize that this was just meant to be. This is what she’s meant to do.”

He began working nights in order to tend the children during the day.

Far from being a distraction, Dr. Friedman said her busy family life provided balance and stress relief from the tense demands of studying for boards and exams.

Instead of hitting the library with her fellow students, she studied at home with her children around her. They quizzed her with flash cards and adorned her anatomy and surgery textbooks with brightly colored stickers. They watched her practice her sutures before bedtime.

It is so beautiful to read about how involved and supportive the whole family is!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:35 pm
finprof wrote:
It is amazing that she could do that with such a large family and I'm sure she will be an asset to the community. More proof that BTs are an asset to their communities and should be embraced.

Beautiful post.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:38 pm
pause wrote:
Her DH was a widower when she married him. My question was if the 10 includes her DH's two from before. Like, did Alexandra give birth to 10 kids in 13 years or did she (only) birth 8? Either way, major accomplishment.

I am sure it does because most functional families count step children as "their" children especially when the biological mother is dead. It is often viewed as offensive when people differentiate children unless it is actually relevant to the discussion.

In this case it wasn't because this woman raised them as a. mother whether she physically birthed them or not.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:40 pm
Raisin wrote:
What is the Touro College of Osteopathic medicine? Is that a regular medical school?

Anyway, mazel tov!

If she moved from Crown Heights isn't she chabad?

In the US, it is like regular medical school - it isn't a lesser kind of school. One of my neighbors is a dermatologist who graduated from an osteopathic medical school. He did residency etc. just like someone who graduates from the standard medical school.

I think at one time there was a reason for the difference but at this point they seem to be fully credentialed.

lovingmommy3417

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 12:52 pm
As someone who is going to nursing school currently with kids this was very inspiring. It's amazing how supportive her family is of her dream. It is hard going to school with a family and she had 3 kids during that time! What an inspiration!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 1:06 pm
Amarante wrote:
In the US, it is like regular medical school - it isn't a lesser kind of school. One of my neighbors is a dermatologist who graduated from an osteopathic medical school. He did residency etc. just like someone who graduates from the standard medical school.

I think at one time there was a reason for the difference but at this point they seem to be fully credentialed.

They've always been fully credentialed. Its just a different approach to medicine. MDs take a more scientific approach, and DOs a more "whole body" (still scientific) view, with more emphasis on preventive medicine. Although (I) MDs are still considered "better" by a lot of people; and (ii) people frequently choose an MD vs a DO depending on where they get in, as opposed to philosophy.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 1:17 pm
This article is amazing. I'm so impressed. Our community needs more frum female doctors-it's so much more comfortable going to the doctor when you don't need to explain everything to them😉
Thanks Amarante for sharing.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 1:26 pm
It is amazing. I'm going to assume that she has a skill set not all of us has. Starting with a proficiency in science. Kol hakavod to her, and may she continue to be a blessing to her family and our community.

enjoying kids

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 1:38 pm
I think at this point in time there is more prejudice against those of us whose dream is to take a less demanding job to be more available to our kids. That makes me sad

Amalia

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 3:06 pm
enjoying kids wrote:
I think at this point in time there is more prejudice against those of us whose dream is to take a less demanding job to be more available to our kids. That makes me sad

Very interesting and insightful comment, I think. (And I like how it goes with your username 🙂).
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics