Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Hasidic Mother of 10 Becomes Doctor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 8:36 pm
sushilover wrote:
We read the same article, right?
I just can't believe that someone could read about a woman who became religious, raised nine children, lives a sheltered and G-d fearing life, and still manages to become a doctor at her age... and yet you dismiss her accomplishments because the story would have been "more compelling" if she went to went to Pupa.

I guess I kind of knew people would react this way, but it is sad.

Oh please. No one dismisses her living a God fearing life and working hard. But do tell me she's as sheltered as a Satmar born woman her age. She isn't. I'm a BT, too. She's had many more life experiences, a HS diploma, bachelor's, and experience of being in a medical school, for goodness' sake!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 8:37 pm
The title is a wee bit misleading. Someone who grew up secular and already has a degree and then became chasidish.... , is a huge difference from someone who was born and bred in Yiddish speaking schools and went on to become a doctor. I'm still waiting to see that happening :-D.

Still an amazing accomplishment!!

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 8:39 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The title is a wee bit misleading. Someone who grew up secular and already has a degree and then became chasidish.... , is a huge difference from someone who was born and bred in Yiddish speaking schools and went on to become a doctor. I'm still waiting to see that happening :-D.

Exactly!
Sushilover, you now heard the same from a BT and a born and bred chassidishe woman. You must be disappointed with both of us.

Purple2

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 8:58 pm
Totally agree with chestnut and mama bear. Those disagreeing probably don’t understand the nuances that you’re alluding to

sushilover

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:06 pm
chestnut wrote:
Oh please. No one dismisses her living a God fearing life and working hard. But do tell me she's as sheltered as a Satmar born woman her age. She isn't. I'm a BT, too. She's had many more life experiences, a HS diploma, bachelor's, and experience of being in a medical school, for goodness' sake!

Her accomplishments are dismissed when posters :
1) claim they don't understand what the big fuss is.
2) say that calling her chassidish is misleading.

And yes, I see no reason to believe she isn't living a sheltered life. (At least according to my definition of sheltered, ie: holy)

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:07 pm
Are you all the most jealous people? Why must you begrudge this woman her accomplishments?
I don’t care what kind of secular education and experiences she had before becoming frum, or what support she has. What she did is colossal.

Not sure why anyone here is negative.

r1

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:10 pm
sushilover wrote:

And yes, I see no reason to believe she isn't living a sheltered life. (At least according to my definition of sheltered, ie: holy)

Holy, yes. Insular aka typical chassidish? Nope.

Purple2

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:13 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
Are you all the most jealous people? Why must you begrudge this woman her accomplishments?
I don’t care what kind of secular education and experiences she had before becoming frum, or what support she has. What she did is colossal.

Your accusations are really juvenile.
Please reread everyone’s posts as you seem to be misunderstanding, and so you’re jumping in with ridiculous accusations of jealousy.
No one is begrudging. Everyone is happy and quite impressed.
We are just pointing out the disingenuous parts of the article.
As with any news, that is a valid approach when reading information. I’m sorry if that’s hard for you to understand

mom2mysouls

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:25 pm
Purple2 wrote:
Totally agree with chestnut and mama bear. Those disagreeing probably don’t understand the nuances that you’re alluding to

Me too - agree with them.

I also wonder why when a secular woman marries chassidish, she is referred to a hassidic woman. But when a chassidish woman marries a secular guy, she is not referred to as secular... Smile

sushilover

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:28 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:

I also wonder why when a secular woman marries chassidish, she is referred to a hassidic woman. But when a chassidish woman marries a secular guy, she is not referred to as secular... Smile

Because it's not about who she marries as much as the lifestyle she chooses to live.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:28 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:

Has it ever really happened that a secular person married a chassidish person? Or are you referring to when a BT marries a chassidish person?

theotherone1

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:30 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

What kind of education did Ruchie Frier have? Chassidish?

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:32 pm
sushilover wrote:

Um, we definitely have different definitions of "sheltered". It never occurred to me to define it as holy. Holy is holy, sheltered is not exposed to the non Jewish/frum society around us.
So, no, her accomplishments are most definitely not dismissed. Not everyone has the brains and zitz fleish for medical school. And to do it while raising a large family, regardless of how many are hers, his, and theirs, is major.
So,
1. Yes, we understand what the general fuss is.
a. We are just saying that becoming a Dr for this chassidishe woman or anyone like her is incomparable to a Satmar or pupa born chassidishe woman.
b. Doesn't take away from her success.
2. Sure, she's chassidishe cause she's leading a chassidishe lifestyle. Refer to 1a.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:35 pm
theotherone1 wrote:
What kind of education did Ruchie Frier have? Chassidish?

Not sure, BY of Boro Park/BY High School? Their education is actually pretty good. Good luck with getting your transcript for college, though, in those years.
I think her family is Bobov? Not sure of her parents.
How many Ruchie Friers do you know, by the way?

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:40 pm
Ha, I was right!
Freier was born in Borough Park, Brooklyn,[11][9] the eldest of five children in a Hasidic Jewish family.[12] While attending the Bais Yaakov high school in Borough Park, she took a course in legal stenography,[13] and she graduated from high school in 1982.[14] At age 19 she married David Freier, with whom she has three sons and three daughters.[12]

Mind you, her husband went to college before she did, while already married. Also don't see it too often with today's geberation of chassidishe young men. His yeshiva education could have been better than today's chassidishe schools, although I don't know which schools he went to.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:42 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:

Yes, it's about the life they're leading now, not whom she married. For all we know her husband is a BT, too. They're still chassidishe.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:44 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:

Who's negative and what negative things are being said about this woman?

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:45 pm
One of the pediatricians by my doc is also a chassidish women. I never thought about it un to l this thread. I doubt she's a bt because her yiddish accent is to strong.

sushilover

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:48 pm
chestnut wrote:
Um, we definitely have different definitions of "sheltered". It never occurred to me to define it as holy. Holy is holy, sheltered is not exposed to the non Jewish/frum society around us.
So, no, her accomplishments are most definitely not dismissed. Not everyone has the brains and zitz fleish for medical school. And to do it while raising a large family, regardless of how many are hers, his, and theirs, is major.
So,
1. Yes, we understand what the general fuss is.
a. We are just saying that becoming a Dr for this chassidishe woman or anyone like her is incomparable to a Satmar or pupa born chassidishe woman.
b. Doesn't take away from her success.
2. Sure, she's chassidishe cause she's leading a chassidishe lifestyle. Refer to 1a.

1) I'm glad you understand what the fuss is, but the poster I originally quoted clearly said she did not. Perhaps you can now understand my disappointment.

2) Comparing her struggles to someone else's is by definition minimizing. It's like saying "very nice that this 65 year old woman became an astronaut, but if she had been 80... now that would have been really compelling." lol!

3) To me (and my rav), sheltered means not exposing one's self to outside society in order to remain holy. When the exposure doesn't impact one's kedusha, the person is still considered sheltered.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 9:48 pm
small bean wrote:
One of the pediatricians by my doc is also a chassidish women. I never thought about it un to l this thread. I doubt she's a bt because her yiddish accent is to strong.

You never know. Would be curious to know.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics