Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Feral kitten in my house. HELP!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 7:32 am
Poor kitty cat.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:26 am
The Misrad Habriut called me this morning.

They wanted to know if the cat was still there, and I said yes. She said "OK, you have to watch it for 10 days." I said "I do not want the cat in here!" She says "Well the guy came over, and didn't see it." (I did not tell her that the guy was more interested in me than he was in the cat.)

She says "Are you sure it was THIS cat?" It's the only cat in the house!
"Are you sure it bit you?" What kind of question is that!
"Maybe it was a mouse. How do you know it's not a mouse." I'm not stupid! I know the difference between a cat and a mouse!
"Where is the cat right now?" I don't know, probably hiding under the furniture somewhere.
"Do you have any pictures?" My camera doesn't fit under the china cabinet. I told her that the cat is black, and very tiny, and very fast. If you blink, you'll miss it.

Then she told me to absolutely "Do not approach the cat" and then "Try to catch the cat."

The kitten can reach the kitchen counters now. I woke up to find a shredded bag of challah, a partially chewed red pepper (LOL), and explosive diarrhea all over my kitchen counters, kitchen floors, trailing into the dining area. The smell. Sweet baby cupcakes - that smell! Confused

There isn't anyone in my area that is even selling cat traps. No pet stores, not vets, not hardware stores. The closest trap I could find is 299 shekels, and I'll have to wait 2 to 3 days for delivery. I spent all morning Googling (after disinfecting the kitchen, and covering everything with large tents of foil that will make a noise if it's stepped on. ) It's insanely hot out, and there is no way I can travel to Jerusalem on the off chance that there might be a trap there.

Misrad Habriut says someone will call back tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

My sanity may not last that long. At wits end

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:12 pm
Ugh. (Sorry, this is gross, feel free to skip it.)

Hidden: 

I just spent 2 hours cleaning my kitchen counters and floor. First with tile cleaner to remove the dried poop. Then with boiling water to get up all the poop bits, and then with disinfectant to try to control bacteria and viruses. There were poopy little paw prints all over the place. There was poop on the lower cabinets, and poop on the refrigerator door. (How does that happen?)

My back is killing me, and the most frustrating thing is that I'll probably have to do it all over again tomorrow.

Sorry, but this cat is getting less cute by the minute. Mad

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:28 pm
If I'd be you I'd just put some poison out and let him eat it. Lol hakovod that you can do such a goo Job with him

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:32 pm
Uch I’m so sorry FF. Poor kitty and poor you. Sounds like kitty could be experiencing both dehydration and gastrointestinal issues that may be exacerbating one another. Is there a way you can block off (like with a full-length screen or plastic sheet) the doorways of the room that the kitten spends the most time in, to prevent him or her from going into the kitchen? Like tape a screen or large plastic piece to the doorway, so you can untape it and get in and out, but kitty would have to stay inside the room. The feces on your counters and near your food is definitely concerning.

Are you able to get ahold of Fish Mox or L-lysine? Fish mox is frequently used by rescues for ferals who may be having any kind of health issue. L lysine is an immune booster and can assuage a variety of conditions.

Re: the contradictory messages from the Misrad Habriut… Can't Believe It

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:35 pm
By plastic sheets I mean acrylic or plexiglass - not “loose” plastic, which is a safety hazard.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:42 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Uch I’m so sorry FF. Poor kitty and poor you. Sounds like kitty could be experiencing both dehydration and gastrointestinal issues that may be exacerbating one another. Is there a way you can block off (like with a full-length screen or plastic sheet) the doorways of the room that the kitten spends the most time in, to prevent him or her from going into the kitchen? Like tape a screen or large plastic piece to the doorway, so you can untape it and get in and out, but kitty would have to stay inside the room. The feces on your counters and near your food is definitely concerning.

Are you able to get ahold of Fish Mox or L-lysine? Fish mox is frequently used by rescues for ferals who may be having any kind of health issue. L lysine is an immune booster and can assuage a variety of conditions.

Re: the contradictory messages from the Misrad Habriut… Can't Believe It

I always keep L-lysine on hand, thanks for reminding me.

I can't afford rigid plastic, but I guess I could try and get some heavy tarp and try to keep it confined to the dining room until I can figure things out.

I told DD about the cat, and her response was "Oh mama, you have to save the baby kitten!"

Then I told her that it bit me, it's peeing and pooping everywhere, and it's getting into the food.

DD says "Mama, leave the house NOW. Burn it to the ground. It's the only way to be sure."

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:48 pm
I’m not crazy over cats but wouldn’t hurt them ever. I really think this one needs to be put down. As humanely as possible of course.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:55 pm
Why do you care for the kitten more then for your health and sanity??

Put it outside and don't let it back in

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:03 pm
They're going to test it for rabies? If so, catch it with a regular mousetrap (or you might need a rat trap) and be done with it. Your health 100% comes first.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:12 am
I just had a further thought about this kitten. He may be allergic to whatever food you ate giving him.

I had a kitten some time ago who was literally dripping everywhere she went, and was very unhappy about it. She also tried to eat anything she found, I think in an instinctive attempt to find food which she could digest. I discussed it with them at the pet shop, and bought her a higher quality (more expensive) cat food with more meat and less dyes and other chemicals. Within two days she was happy, eating her food nicely and using her litter box with no more accidents and overall much happier. It might be worth trying.

Success10

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:39 am
I agree with the sentiment that the poor cat was born with some sort of congenital defect and that's why it's mother abandoned it. I doubt it's going to last long, unfortunately. This thread started out as amusing, but now I am worried about all the droppings in your house FF. Can you post on the local group that you are in need of a mitzvah? Someone to come help you out and catch the cat and get rid of it?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:53 am
Thanks for your concern. Don't worry, my priorities are not misplaced. The cat has GOT to go.

Last night I woke up to the sound of several wine glasses shattering as they were knocked off a shelf.

Believe me, I would catch this cat if I could. I can't find a trap for love or money. I've spammed every FB group possible. "Cat lovers, Dog lovers, Beit Shemesh animal health care, How can I help you?, We are all Beit Shemesh, Beit Shemesh community" you name it, I've spammed it, with increasingly desperate messages.

B'H, the kitchen is still clean today, but I can't say the same for the dining room. I found a lemon that was starting to go bad, so instead of throwing the whole thing out I cut the zest off in large strips. I twisted the strips to release the oil, and then tossed them behind the fridge, under furniture, and other places in the kitchen where the cat has been. I'm hoping the citrus oils will act as a repellent. It's worth a try.

I hate the idea of getting a large kill trap. I can't even buy them at Ace Hardware, they don't sell them. Every time I leave the house, no matter where I go, I see tons of kittens around. I understand why there are no humane traps available. There's just a huge shortage right now.. Right now, my only option is to call a professional exterminator, and that's going to be crazy expensive.

B'H, the cat is showing no signs of incoordination or aggression, which would mean rabies for sure. Someone on FB told me that I could relax a little, because they have been no known cases of cat rabies in Israel in over 20 years. (Still, wouldn't that just be my luck to be the next one?) Not that I'm planning on having it, just being cautious. I don't freak out and worry a lot, but I don't take things for granted, either.

I WISH the cat would leave, but it has no reason to. It's way too hot outside, and my apartment is dark and cool. There are lots of safe places to hide here. He can get fresh water from a drip in the sink. Right now I'm making sure that there is no accessible food anywhere in the house. He tried to eat a tomato last night, but just gnawed at it and spit it out.

Not only that, but the Misrad HaBriut said that the cat has to be observed for 10 days from the time of the bite, or else I have to come and get the rabies shots right away. At this point, I think I'd rather deal with cat poop, than have shots. Don't worry, I'm cleaning with gloves on, and using tons of strong disinfectant.

Random cats don't just move in for no reason. I'm wondering what Hashem is trying to tell me. That sometimes you have to be a bit cruel to protect your own boundaries maybe?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:58 am
But can anyone come and help you catch him? Gardeners gloves to protect the catcher, and then he can be kept in s confined space for observation

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:07 am
Can you get rid of some stuff so he doesn’t have that many hiding places?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:16 am
I just emailed 8 exterminators, between here and Jerusalem.

I'm in a tiny apartment, and I've been shifting boxes, moving furniture, and trying to eliminate as many hiding spaces as possible.

With my bad back, fibro, and ME/CFS, it's really hard for me to get the place 100% free of dark corners. I'm trying, but he keeps finding new spots. He can fit under a dresser that only has a 2 inch gap - that's how tiny he is.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:18 am
FF my BIL lives in RBS shall I call him to get to you he can try to catch the kitty cat with some friends?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:31 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
FF my BIL lives in RBS shall I call him to get to you he can try to catch the kitty cat with some friends?

That's a wonderful offer. This cat is scared of everything (and rightly so) and is lightning fast.

I prefer to just leave a trap overnight with some yummy food, and be able to trap it that way.

(I'm also really embarrassed at how cluttered my house is right now. embarrassed When I got divorced, I moved from a 4 bedroom, 3 bath flat, into a studio apartment in a basement. I'm still in the process of getting rid of as much stuff as possible, but it's hard. It's my whole life in here.)

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:32 am
Just an FYI…..if the cat can jump all the way up to your counter top, it isn’t that small….I’m also wondering if there is another, larger cat in ur home.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
That's a wonderful offer. This cat is scared of everything (and rightly so) and is lightning fast.

I prefer to just leave a trap overnight with some yummy food, and be able to trap it that way.

(I'm also really embarrassed at how cluttered my house is right now. embarrassed When I got divorced, I moved from a 4 bedroom, 3 bath flat, into a studio apartment in a basement. I'm still in the process of getting rid of as much stuff as possible, but it's hard. It's my whole life in here.)

It sounds like having a few young men come over to shift things around (and catch the cat) might be just the thing. Maybe consider Chickensoupprof's offer. It seems like the best solution. You don't need to be hurting yourself chasing down a kitten whose hiding among all the stuff.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets