Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why The Panic Shopping? Its Aug 4!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:20 pm
Uch saw “panic shopping” and had a ptsd flashback to last year when supermarkets were cleaned out.
B”H everything is so much better now.
Glad this thread is about something normal B”H.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:36 pm
Lol pp, Hashem sense of humor. The food distribution has all of our pantries and freezers bursting at the seams!
I’m not “panic Shopping”
I’m shopping for back to school cuz it’s 3 weeks away. We need
Uniforms
Backpacks
School supplies
Shoes
Socks
Seamstress with uniforms (don’t ask, didn’t have a jumper that fit dd)
Bh there are errands to be done unrelated to rosh hashana

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:45 pm
I’m shopping now because I have a seminary kid and I’m making a bar mitzvah. And I work full time. And no one’s uniforms fit. And every time I buy tights, they tear in the next 2 weeks.
But I refuse to buy scotch bonnet jackets for $200. That’s insane.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Rosh hashana and sukkot will probably not be winter clothes weather. The stores love to make it seem like everything is selling our to get people shopping. If you must have a certain item and matching for your kids go now. If your not so picky you can wait a bit and things will start to calm down and then go on sale.

I think there will be plenty of clothing but if you want
1) matching clothing for your kids
2) your picky about price like not wanting the more expensive brands
you gotta shop now!
I just found a dress I love for a reasonable price.
I went to two stores, I found only one size for my DD, I needed to order the rest online, I needed to sift through multiple sites- they were ALL SOLD OUT!
I don't think the stores are making it up.
they bring in a certain amount of each style and that's it. the store owner told me she couldn't order more because the company wasn't reliable to send more before YT...

carnation

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:38 pm
sky wrote:
Now you’ll really make fun.
My mesivta son is coming home Thursday and starting yeshiva on Monday

We went new shoe and shirt shopping before he even went to camp. .

I admire and respect people who plan in advance! You're amazing.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:41 pm
living in Monsey, did anyone notice how chilly it was the past few days? continuing down this path we'll definitely need coats by Sukkos.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:55 pm
Now is the best time to shop! Gotta go with the flow if you wanna find your sizes and the clothes you like.
Btw stores not so quite anymore..... lots of people are back and shopping 🛍

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:36 pm
I like to finish my shopping before the country season ends. I am a teacher, and my time becomes too precious once the school year begins.

My kids' schools don't have uniforms, so they need clothing for the first week of school. I find that summer clothes are rarely presentable by the time we get there. Everything is either stained, torn, short, or simply worn out. So I try to find darker colored clothing that are thin enough for September (end of August this year!) but still have that "school fresh" look. I especially like clothing that can be layered for winter wear.

Additionally, if you need matching clothes for more than one kid (and yes I know it's not technically a need lol), you have to shop when sizes are still in stock. Sure, they'll have stuff to choose from later, too, but not that adorable matching set that you want for family photos/chol hamoed outing.

This week I was frustrated to find some stores sold out of sizes while others hadn't yet received their fall collection. I guess this shopping thing is supposed to be strategically planned.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:46 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
One year I decided not to buy a coat right away for one kid. Waited till sukkos and sure enough my kid’s size was sold out in every single store and kid was disappointed had to find something else. So this year bought one now.

Lol every single Jewish store you looked in, not every store! There’s a vast world out there and there are coats sold all through the fall and winter! I mean, get what you want when you want it but don’t make it sound like your kid would have gone cold that winter

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:08 am
Sorry the companies are at fault.
Every season they try to outrush the other companies.
And once stuff is in the stores, people will shop becuase why not be ahead of the game.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:12 am
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
Lol every single Jewish store you looked in, not every store! There’s a vast world out there and there are coats sold all through the fall and winter! I mean, get what you want when you want it but don’t make it sound like your kid would have gone cold that winter

She wrote the kid was disappointed with whatever they ended up buying, which means they found something after all. In some places, it's important to the kids (especially at a certain age) to wear the "right" kind of shoes and coats and whatever.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 1:24 am
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:

my my my
she didn't say her kid was cold- she said he was disappointed.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:27 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
living in Monsey, did anyone notice how chilly it was the past few days? continuing down this path we'll definitely need coats by Sukkos.

It's just the usual fluctuations of temperatures. The heat is coming right back over the weekend.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:32 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
I think there will be plenty of clothing but if you want
1) matching clothing for your kids
2) your picky about price like not wanting the more expensive brands
you gotta shop now!
I just found a dress I love for a reasonable price.
I went to two stores, I found only one size for my DD, I needed to order the rest online, I needed to sift through multiple sites- they were ALL SOLD OUT!
I don't think the stores are making it up.
they bring in a certain amount of each style and that's it. the store owner told me she couldn't order more because the company wasn't reliable to send more before YT...

This. If you have strong ideas and have limited flexibility what you believe is ok to dress your children in, then you have to run to be first in line.

I do agree that the stores are selling out quickly, but that sadly speaks to the mindset of our community. The particulars of clothing (not referring to the tznius aspect) is such a high priority that people will literally run home from their bungalows and vacations to make sure they find stuff to fit their rigid criteria.

If your mindset is that clothing is just clothing, and there's a whole range of options that work for you, you have no need to rush and be part of the stampede. The stores, local and worldwide, have plenty of stuff to sell all year round. And your kids will be ok (or rather be better off) being dressed this YT in seasonal appropriate clothing rather than the stifling wool and velvet clothing.

bsy

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:17 am
I've never been into this rat race of getting new clothes and shoes each season. I get sale stuff at the end of a season and save it for the next year. I can't really relate to this panic shopping matching kids mentality.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:41 am
bsy wrote:
I've never been into this rat race of getting new clothes and shoes each season. I get sale stuff at the end of a season and save it for the next year. I can't really relate to this panic shopping matching kids mentality.

Does this work for older kids?
I used to do this.
But once my girls got older and needed to cover their knees and had preferred styles it didn’t work out as well.

And now that I’ve discovered stores were I can buy new merchandise for $20 a Shabbos sweater or $17 a dress it doesn’t make so much sense for me to sift through sale merchandise to find what I need and hope it will still fit.

Zehava

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:50 am
I guess it does help that I’m not matching-obsessed.
My daughter gets to pick out what she likes from whatever is available before school started
My boys get vochen stuff online and shabbos things sometimes match if it works out.
Sure glad I’m not under pressure to run into the city now!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:55 am
I dress my children matching but it doesn't have to be brand new or trendy.

realsilver

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:23 pm
sky wrote:
Does this work for older kids?
I used to do this.
But once my girls got older and needed to cover their knees and had preferred styles it didn’t work out as well.

And now that I’ve discovered stores were I can buy new merchandise for $20 a Shabbos sweater or $17 a dress it doesn’t make so much sense for me to sift through sale merchandise to find what I need and hope it will still fit.

Which stores are these?

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:35 pm
I like to do all my shopping way in advance. My kids have shabbos and weekday shoes, a Shabbos outfit, coats, underwear and socks for the new year. I got a few weekday outfits and will buy more later in the season from Zara etc. if I need more.
I shop before the crowds start, I cannot handle the pushing and I have peace of mind knowing I have what I need.
Last year at lockdown my kids were probably the only ones with complete wardrobes from shoes to hair accessories thanks to my in advance shopping.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics