Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why The Panic Shopping? Its Aug 4!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:37 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I like to do all my shopping way in advance. My kids have shabbos and weekday shoes, a Shabbos outfit, coats, underwear and socks for the new year. I got a few weekday outfits and will buy more later in the season from Zara etc. if I need more.
I shop before the crowds start, I cannot handle the pushing and I have peace of mind knowing I have what I need.
Last year at lockdown my kids were probably the only ones with complete wardrobes from shoes to hair accessories thanks to my in advance shopping.

This is where we are different . We didn’t NEED complete wardrobes including hair accessories during lockdown. I was thrilled not to have spent that money in advance when I much rather have it in my pocket than on a closet file of clothes when we didn’t go anywhere or do anything. No shul, no play dates, no simchas. Last seasons clothing worked just fine and I saved big $$$$

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
This is where we are different . We didn’t NEED complete wardrobes including hair accessories during lockdown. I was thrilled not to have spent that money in advance when I much rather have it in my pocket than on a closet file of clothes when we didn’t go anywhere or do anything. No shul, no play dates, no simchas. Last seasons clothing worked just fine and I saved big $$$$

That was not the point I was trying to make. My point was I shop early so I avoid the panic. I was done before lockdown, that’s how early I shop.... that’s the point.
Btw It did bring me tremendous joy seeing my kids in their yom Tov outfits, even if nobody saw them.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:12 pm
To feed the panic I was just in Rock Bottom(Lakewood) to buy my DD uniforms there was very little skirts left and the lady told me that the next shipment the price is going up so I brought all the size 12(all 3 of them) they also only had one shirt my DD size.

pause

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 9:58 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I like to do all my shopping way in advance. My kids have shabbos and weekday shoes, a Shabbos outfit, coats, underwear and socks for the new year. I got a few weekday outfits and will buy more later in the season from Zara etc. if I need more.
I shop before the crowds start, I cannot handle the pushing and I have peace of mind knowing I have what I need.
Last year at lockdown my kids were probably the only ones with complete wardrobes from shoes to hair accessories thanks to my in advance shopping.

I would love to be like this, but experience has taught me that shopping too early means the stuff won't fit by mid to end of the season. Sneakers for the summer purchased Purim time will not fit by August. Dresses get outgrown with knees showing. Maybe for teens you can do this, but how does this work for the younger kids?

Until when do you expect your kids' school shoes to last? When I buy shoes for September, I don't want to buy new ones in December.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 10:07 am
sky wrote:
Does this work for older kids?
I used to do this.
But once my girls got older and needed to cover their knees and had preferred styles it didn’t work out as well.

And now that I’ve discovered stores were I can buy new merchandise for $20 a Shabbos sweater or $17 a dress it doesn’t make so much sense for me to sift through sale merchandise to find what I need and hope it will still fit.

Advance buying never works for me, either. My kids never grow as predicted - sometimes more, sometimes less, and I wasted too much money too many times to repeat this again.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 10:44 am
So far it’s worked for me, I size up with clothing and shoes and hope for the best. I usually hem the clothing at the beginning of the season and let it down if they grow. If the shoes are too big they start out with an insole.

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 10:58 am
Ok so very different approaches here. I buy shoes that fit when new shoes are needed. My daughter just got new sneakers last month and she knows she will start school with these sneakers as they usually last 3 months before they’re outgrown. I believe upsized shoes is bad for their feet, and there is now way I’m paying a seamstress for hemming and let downs (not to mention time I don’t have at these appointments) to buy clothes 2-3 months before they’re needed. BH my children grow like weeds! I’m glad those that choose to buy early have a way to make it work for them but for me, it’s way more work and not (any) Benefit

sky

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:25 pm
realsilver wrote:
Which stores are these?

Sage in lkwd and monsey

girls summer dresses $17
Rubbed toddler sets $14
Shabbos dresses under $50 (got some for $43)
Robes $40
Toddler sweated $17-25

This is full price

Last edited by sky on Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:

I was thrilled my kids had new clothing lekoved yom tov.

I never buy clothes for others to see. I only buy comfortable practical clothing. Not clothing they have to change out of to play. We get dressed even if we don’t see anyone.

The clothing is for them to feel good and Lekovid Shabbos and yom tov.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
Advance buying never works for me, either. My kids never grow as predicted - sometimes more, sometimes less, and I wasted too much money too many times to repeat this again.

My kids don’t grow like weeds - so far they’ve grown a bit at a time. I don’t hem to let down later. Usually by shoe store if one kid the fitter says he still stayed same size I need to get a new pair anyway cuz the shoes he has are filthy and scratched up. If somehow someone jumps 2 sizes in shoes in December or January, the shoes are 50 off so I don’t lose money.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics