Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
"We paid for it with points"
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

fleetwood

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:27 am
keym wrote:
Same. But we don't actually get cash in our hand, we use our cash-back to towards paying the credit card.

We do that too..so smart

Zehava

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:32 am
It’s not worth it to spend points on an economy flight. That’s true. Sell the points to a travel agent and you’ll get more money than you need to pay the ticket in cash.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:35 am
[quote="fleetwood"]
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see this mentioned a lot when people discuss their vacations/getaways. What exactly does this mean?

We actually get cash back which is so much better than points. I never understood why people prefer points when you can have actual cash in hand ..

Because the value of the points is worth more than the cash.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:39 am
Not all points are redeemable for cash. But the big way of earning points is not by regular spending it's by bonuses, for opening the cards. That's when you get a huge chunk of points for relatively little spending, so it's worth a lot.

While some airlines the mileage redemption fluctuates based on ticket prices, with some airlines, it's based on region.
For example, 12,000 miles a way for domestic travel. So if a ticket is costs only $100, it's probably not worth it, but for a ticket that costs $500 (either because of location or last minute booking), it's for sure worth it.

We use hotels points and miles for travel that we are doing anyway (going to family for yom tov, going to a simcha, my kids going to and from yeshiva etc).

Selling miles can be lucrative, but you need to sell a lot at a time for it to be worth it, and there's always the risk of getting shut down.

I think the reason pple say they did it with points is either- they feel they need to justify the cost, so they're saying they didn't really pay out of pocket for it (when our whole family flew somewhere for a wedding and I didn't want pple to judge I made a point if saying we had points) or they feel a sense of pride for having played the game right and want bragging rights Smile

Lady A

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:19 am
My husband travels a lot for work and stays in Hilton affiliated hotels. He accrues points this way. We use them for our family vacations so we don’t pay for hotels.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:34 am
I just did this recently/ told my sister that we paid for vacation with points (we did)
The reason why I felt the need to say it was because she can’t afford to go on a long vacation and I was feeling bad that we are going

WaterKissed

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:41 am
When I hear people who don't own business say "I paid that vacation with points" it's a telltale sign they they are in credit card debt.

Day to day spending does not earn you a 10 day luxury vacation yearly.

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:54 am
WaterKissed wrote:
When I hear people who don't own business say "I paid that vacation with points" it's a telltale sign they they are in credit card debt.

It could mean they have 7 kids in yeshiva and pay tuition on CC, and pay it off at the end of the month. It could mean so many other things... lets be DLKZ. (I am someone who has no money for vacations or to even attempt to accrue points and I have only 1 CC with a super low limit so I would be the first to agree with you if I was not someone who could fargin someone else their vacation... I'm happy for people who can go. I can't... but I'm thrilled if you can).

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:55 am
WaterKissed wrote:

Nope there are businesses where you buy products to accrue points and sell it to a seller.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:06 am
WaterKissed wrote:

We spend about 20k a month (almost all our expenses) on a card which we pay in full every month and every few years we can go on a nice vacation

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:06 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
I just did this recently/ told my sister that we paid for vacation with points (we did)
The reason why I felt the need to say it was because she can’t afford to go on a long vacation and I was feeling bad that we are going

This is the part that bothers me and where I agree with OP. First of all, you shouldn't have to feel bad about your vacation. But apologizing for it because you have points - it's like you think you can go because you got it for free, while she can't. But in reality we all have credit cards, but she probably has a cash back instead of travel points. So in that sense, your vacation is not free.

Enjoy your vacation (as long as you don't brag about it.) If you feel bad for your sister, maybe suggest she start using such a credit card, that way she can do the same.

And I'm curious. Even though you might get more value from travel points, are there no hidden added costs? Or is it really a good deal, as opposed to cash back?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:08 am
Zehava wrote:
It’s not worth it to spend points on an economy flight. That’s true. Sell the points to a travel agent and you’ll get more money than you need to pay the ticket in cash.

Exactly

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:14 am
WaterKissed wrote:

Lol points aside: I don’t know Anyone who takes 10 day luxury vacations every year, you do? I say this as someone who routinely uses the phrase, on points.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:20 am
WaterKissed wrote:

This doesn't even make sense. I have to pay up my credit card every month in order to accrue points, otherwise the interest would be way more than the points I could get.

People will often pay for part of their vacation with points and tell everyone that it's points - it's somehow proof of something, not sure what. But if someone is going on a 10 day luxury vacation yearly with points, that is likely what they are doing (unless they are multi millionares and spend $100,000 a month or more on their credit cards).

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:29 am
Its simply a way of people justifying their vacation expenses, or trying to win at the game of "who got it cheaper."

If you can afford the vacation, kol hakavod.

If you can afford the vacation because of the points, kol hakavod.

If you're living paycheck to paycheck with no savings cushion and praying that the school lets your kids in because you're that far behind in payments, you're not impressing me with your claim of using "points" that can be put to better use.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:58 am
Simple1 wrote:
This is the part that bothers me and where I agree with OP. First of all, you shouldn't have to feel bad about your vacation. But apologizing for it because you have points - it's like you think you can go because you got it for free, while she can't. But in reality we all have credit cards, but she probably has a cash back instead of travel points. So in that sense, your vacation is not free.

Enjoy your vacation (as long as you don't brag about it.) If you feel bad for your sister, maybe suggest she start using such a credit card, that way she can do the same.

And I'm curious. Even though you might get more value from travel points, are there no hidden added costs? Or is it really a good deal, as opposed to cash back?

There are some cards that give you cash back if you use it to book flights and hotel. And some cards where you get cash back and yes obviously if you’re strapped for cash you’ll use that for groceries

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:58 am
So I see many of you get my question 😃
I guess it really is a way of saying, " we can't really afford a vacation, but we bh used our cc points" , so noone should think that they are wealthy or robbed a bank Very Happy

WaterKissed

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Lol points aside: I don’t know Anyone who takes 10 day luxury vacations every year, you do? I say this as someone who routinely uses the phrase, on points.

I actually do know people who take several luxurious vacations a year.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I see many of you get my question 😃
I guess it really is a way of saying, " we can't really afford a vacation, but we bh used our cc points" , so noone should think that they are wealthy or robbed a bank Very Happy

For me, yup. Plus, we’re pretty proud of our points Savvy. We also like to talk about how much we paid for stuff, on sale for x, Upgrades, Chinese auction winnings etc etc. Anyone can play full Price, we’re proud that we don’t.

WaterKissed

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:13 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
This doesn't even make sense. I have to pay up my credit card every month in order to accrue points, otherwise the interest would be way more than the points I could get.

People will often pay for part of their vacation with points and tell everyone that it's points - it's somehow proof of something, not sure what. But if someone is going on a 10 day luxury vacation yearly with points, that is likely what they are doing (unless they are multi millionares and spend $100,000 a month or more on their credit cards).

It's a game, and you have to know how to play. People open many cards at a time, do balance transfers pay minimum balance amounts and still get points and go on vacation. Maybe not everyone, but there are many people like that.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics