Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Salaries in Israel - Vent 😟
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 6:55 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
To all those calling these minimum wage jobs - isn't minimum wage here 25 shek? Yes, her jobs aren't well paying but they're way more than minimum wage.

It's 29 shekel per hour and 5800 monthly.

Success10

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:00 am
Also, you really need to move somewhere cheaper. It's not easy to make the jump, but most people who make similar moves out of the city are very happy in the long run. You'll save thousands a month.

Teomima

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:01 am
I don't have much to add except to emphasize what others have said:
Going to school to qualify for a higher paying position, figuring out how to manage your debt (that's an incredibly large debt, even for people not making ends meet), and please please please do contact Paamonim. They can really help you figure out how to make it work. You actually have a lot of potential, if your combined income is close to 13,000nis (it's time to stop thinking in dollars). It's not easy but a family of six can actually make ends meet on that. Paamonim will also help you navigate the system and figure out what discounts or benefits you might qualify for.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:01 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
To all those calling these minimum wage jobs - isn't minimum wage here 25 shek? Yes, her jobs aren't well paying but they're way more than minimum wage.
No minimum wage is just under 30 shrk an hour.
But ill say that many place that wants hourly workers, will pay a bit more than that. Ive had hourly jobs before and none have been more than 35 shek an hour.
Id say up to 40 is still pretty low.
Minimum monthy wage is roughly 5,500 shekels. Thats very little to live on.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:02 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
This is one of the reasons that makes me hesitant to move to Israel. My husband and I make a very comfortable salary and the thought that it might be slashed by a third, maybe even half? After all of the schooling we’ve done, moving up the ranks, waiting our turn for promotions, recognition, etc. Just don’t know if we can do it.
What are your professions?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:38 am
I don't think in dollars, it's just for the Americans who might be reading this,
I have a home baking Business, and I also give classes in my expertise, which pays quite well, if I'm really busy with it, I would love to expand my clientele to the general population, the baked goods I sell, and my classes, this will take a lot of advertisement, but it has a lot of potential.
It makes way more sense than working per hour.

Our debt is mainly from buying our apartment,
Dh also had a period of depression, couldn't work, therapy expenses, it's really not hard to accumulate debt, life continues whether you can afford it or not.
We're working with someone who's trying to help us come up with a plan for paying off the debt and living within our budget.
It makes sense for us to sell the apartment, because its worth went up a lot since we bought it, although it's really hard for me to think about it.

We were actually considering moving to New York, because we're not sure we can live so tightly with no end in sight, if we have to move anyhow.
We both come from comfortable backgrounds, so it's extra challenging.
Sorry for complaining so much, it's just a hard stage for us, we will be"h find a workable solution,
It just doesn't seem like there can be an easy solution at the moment

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't think in dollars, it's just for the Americans who might be reading this,
I have a home baking Business, and I also give classes in my expertise, which pays quite well, if I'm really busy with it, I would love to expand my clientele to the general population, the baked goods I sell, and my classes, this will take a lot of advertisement, but it has a lot of potential.

Dh also had a period of depression, couldn't work, therapy expenses, it's really not hard to accumulate debt, life continues whether you can afford it or not.
We're working with someone who's trying to help us come up with a plan for paying off the debt and living within our budget.
It makes sense for us to sell the apartment, because its worth went up a lot since we bought it, although it's really hard for me to think about it.

We were actually considering moving to New York, because we're not sure we can live so tightly with no end in sight, if we have to move anyhow.
Sorry for complaining so much, it's just a hard stage for us, we will be"h find a workable solution,
That, op, is true. There is NO EASY ANSWER. But that doesnt mean there isnt wny answer or solution.
So when you say debt, do you actual mean your mortgage?

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:45 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
It's 29 shekel per hour and 5800 monthly.

Before taxes and fees like bituach leumi. With taxes and fees it's more like 4600.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If your debt is just your mortgage I suggest you don't sell. Housing continues to rise - in 5 years you would would more selling your apartment if you'd like - and then you can possibly buy a small place in a cheap area with little to no mortgage.

I really think you just need to keep going and tighten your budget and do away with some extras. Being able to afford even a downpayment sounds like a dream to me - the fact that you have an apartment means you are doing much better than half the people around you.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:52 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Before taxes and fees like bituach leumi. With taxes and fees it's more like 4600.
Are you sure? I also work hourly and have never had that much taken off for taxes, ever.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
Are you sure? I also work hourly and have never had that much taken off for taxes, ever.

Income tax is 10% - https://www.kolzchut.org.il/he.....D7%94

That doesn't include bituach leumi, pension, bituach briut etc.

I used to make a little more than minimum and worked crazy hours - like 9 a day and only came home with like 4300.

The second you make a little more money it's 14%. Maybe you worked under the table.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:55 am
Teomima wrote:
I don't have much to add except to emphasize what others have said:
Going to school to qualify for a higher paying position, figuring out how to manage your debt (that's an incredibly large debt, even for people not making ends meet), and please please please do contact Paamonim. They can really help you figure out how to make it work. You actually have a lot of potential, if your combined income is close to 13,000nis (it's time to stop thinking in dollars). It's not easy but a family of six can actually make ends meet on that. Paamonim will also help you navigate the system and figure out what discounts or benefits you might qualify for.

We actually live in Jerusalem with 4 kids and make it work on 13,000/month, and we pay rent. So I'm not sure, maybe Op has way more outgoings?

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 7:56 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
We actually live in Jerusalem with 4 kids and make it work on 13,000/month, and we pay rent. So I'm not sure, maybe Op has way more outgoings?

The jobs OP have pay much less. She's likely finishing with 8-10k a month. Not 13k.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:01 am

I used to make a little more than minimum and worked crazy hours - like 9 a day and only came home with like 4300.

The second you make a little more money it's 14%. Maybe you worked under the table.

That's odd. About ten years ago I had a minimum wage job with Clallit, where everything was on the books. I worked four to five hours a day, and my monthly salary was around 4,000₪.

About half went on my rent, and I had the other half to live on. That would have been a struggle for a family, but since I was single I coped, though I was rarely able to save much.
When I needed to I could take on odd jobs in the afternoon to increase my income.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
That, op, is true. There is NO EASY ANSWER. But that doesnt mean there isnt wny answer or solution.
So when you say debt, do you actual mean your mortgage?

No, the debt is money we owe MANY people, just from trying to cover the basics over the years
Dh also had a failed business, so lots of money owed

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:07 am

I never worked under the table. Ever. But as soon as I worked full time + a bit over minimum wage, I made at least 6k a month.
How much were you making that you walked away with so little? Very strange.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, the debt is money we owe MANY people, just from trying to cover the basics over the years
Dh also had a failed business, so lots of money owed
So sorry OP. Its good you are ginally talking to someone to try to figure your finances out.
No easy answers or easy way to fix it.
Good luck.

Teomima

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:11 am
The jobs OP have pay much less. She's likely finishing with 8-10k a month. Not 13k.

She said just over $2000 each. That's about 13,000 by today's conversion rate. You're right that it's unclear if this is neto or bruto, but there was a time we were managing with 4 kids and 10,000 net income, in Jerusalem. You have to budget every shekel, though, and it sounds like that is challenging for OP.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:33 am
Elfrida wrote:
That's odd. About ten years ago I had a minimum wage job with Clallit, where everything was on the books. I worked four to five hours a day, and my monthly salary was around 4,000₪.

About half went on my rent, and I had the other half to live on. That would have been a struggle for a family, but since I was single I coped, though I was rarely able to save much.
When I needed to I could take on odd jobs in the afternoon to increase my income.

ITs very possible that taxes were not this much ten years ago. I wasn’t living in Israel then so I don’t know. I moved here a few years ago.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 8:37 am
Thank you for all the kind replies
We'll make it work iyh, we're ready to work hard, spend less, move...
I'm off to cleaning up and ironing for Shabbos, I fired both my cleaning lady and laundry help last week
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics