Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Yom Tov in 10 minutes or less
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 10:58 am
Deli or grilled chicken salad. You can make dressing now already. Grill the chicken and freeze it.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:05 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Any ideas for first course ?

Good old Hungarian cooked fish

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 11:11 am
tweety1 wrote:
Pickled tongue, pickled brisket, pickled chicken roll. I cook it in water. Freeze and slice. My family loves pickled roasts as is with no sauce.

Do you need to boil and throw out water first?

hanna2010

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:00 am
Has anyone made this chicken recipe that was posted above? I want to try it but can’t afford for it to be too weird and no one will eat

ROSH HASHANA APPLE & HONEY CHICKEN:
Remove chicken legs from package. Discard that awful pad they put underneath.
Place chicken legs in pan.
Open can of apple pie filling and dump on top of chicken.
Bake for at least an hour. (I usually do covered.)

Happydance

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:27 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Wow wow you're so good! I'm going to he planning my menu based on this thread!

Me too!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:43 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Do you need to boil and throw out water first?

No. Spilling out the water will dilute the taste and you'll miss out on half the seasonings.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:46 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Deli or grilled chicken salad. You can make dressing now already. Grill the chicken and freeze it.

Thank you for this idea. Can add Pomegranate seeds & sweeter than usual dressing to dress up for chag

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:57 am
hanna2010 wrote:
Has anyone made this chicken recipe that was posted above? I want to try it but can’t afford for it to be too weird and no one will eat

It doesn’t sounds good to me at all but I guess it depends on your taste.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:18 am
tichellady wrote:
It doesn’t sounds good to me at all but I guess it depends on your taste.

Yes, you have to like sweet chicken. I don't think I could see it either.
If you want something easy and do sweet chicken, try duck sauce, or cranberry sauce. (I generally don't.)

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:22 am
Apple Chicken
Stuff a whole chicken with one or two apples (whatever fits, and 1 tsp fresh rosemary. Rub chicken with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and a little more rosemary. Roast 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 350, basting if you remember. Pour sauce in the pan over rice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:25 pm
hanna2010 wrote:

It's not weird at all. It actually tastes exactly like you would expect to, like apple chicken. If you think that's a taste they would go for go for it.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 1:07 am
amother Hosta wrote:
Yes. It doubles fine and I usually make more than one.

Yummmmm just popped it out of the oven and smells heaven tasted little from the spilling on the pan yeah it's delicious! Had to bake it for like 65 mins on 350.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:58 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
Can I bake minute steaks this way? Any easy recipes for steaks or flanken?

This is what I make every yom tov. Super easy and soft

super easy & soft meat

Slice some onions
Put one layer in pan or pot
Slice tomatoes, layer above onions

Sprinkle some salt on one side of the steaks (optional - black pepper)
Place steaks (any kind. I like minute steak) in single layer above tomatoes, salt side down
Sprinkle salt on other side

Layer tomatoes on top of it, then onions again

Optional - pour in a bit of red cooking wine or regular wine (maybe 1 oz or so). It does make it much better but I don't always have.

Cook on low for very long (at least 2 hours) in covered pan

Enjoy!

Note: this recipe is from my mom who does this with roasts. Feel free to convert back. Would obviously need longer cooking time and more wine.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:16 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
This thread is excellent for my self esteem! Very Happy

GREEN BEANS
If you are using a stainless steel frying pan, begin heating it now over low heat. (If you are using a nonstick frying pan, you can skip that step.)
Cut up 1-2 large onions into medium or medium-small pieces.
Turn heat on stove up to medium/high.
Pour some oil into your pan, and dump in your onions. They will start making nice sizzly noises.
Stir them a few times until they are translucent.
Optionally decide to leave them for longer until they get browned, or even burned. (I don't recommend the last option.)
Open a bag of frozen fine green beans.
Dump into pan. Be careful, because frozen vegetables have small water crystals on them, and water + hot oil = splashing hot oil.
Stir, ideally using long wooden spoon.
When splashing dies down, add some sea salt. Optionally add some pepper or 2 frozen garlic cubes.
Continue periodically stirring, until green beans start losing their white freezer look and start looking green.
Turn off pan and let sit until done.

I am planning to do this, in a small pot, - without the onion, with the garlic, and add Pastrami pieces to make it more yom tov'dig

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:19 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
This thread is excellent for my self esteem! Very Happy

[I]And now for some general tips for the non-measurers among us:
- A pound of dry grain (like rice, quinoa) is about 2.5 cups.
- 1 lb of grain fits nicely in an 8x8 Pyrex pan
- 2 lb of grain nicely fills a 9x13 pan
- Grains can be baked in the oven and are more forgiving there than when made on the stove
- Starting with boiling water (from an electric urn) makes the baking process more efficient
- Electric urns, the kind with a pitcher that heats up on a base, are Hashem's gift to the portion of humanity that doesn't have instant hot water.
- If you have the Rubbermaid 2 qt plastic pitcher, the top of the lower handle is at the 5 cup mark. If you don't have it, buy* a measuring pitcher. Nothing is more tedious than refilling a measuring cup with water. You're welcome.
- When you need a certain amount of boiling water for a recipe, measure the water FIRST and heat just that amount up in the electric urn. Then you can dump the entire thing into your pan.
- If you CHECK grains, you must* buy yourself a nice large fine mesh strainer so you can do the shake method over a white plate or sheet of paper and check that for bugs.
- A tablespoon is 3 teaspoons. A half tablespoon is 1.5 teaspoons.

And a half tablespoon is one full disposable soup spoon! Game changer!

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:38 pm
[quote="amother Forestgreen"]
amother Hosta wrote:
By popular demand, let me c

LEMON PIE
(This tastes like cheesecake!)
Defrost 1 carton of rich's whip (8 oz) or equivalent. (I just double the recipe if I'm using a 16 oz carton so I don't have to measure half.) The defrosting part does take longer than 10 minutes unfortunately.
Pour whip into mixing bowl.
Add 4 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Mix with immersion blender until sugar is basically incorporated. (Try not to overmix because it grows in volume and will overflow Put graham cracker crust on baking stability. (Optionally line baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup if you're a messy cook like me.)
Pour mixture into crust. It may reach the top.
Bake for 45+ minutes. It may still be a drop wobbly in the middle, but firms (Some of my kids like it

Are you supposed to whip the richs whip first or just use staright from the container?

We like this frozen.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:57 pm
Thanks for the idea to put to cook the tzimmes with the chicken! Came out amazing.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 1:07 pm
1. Check your grocery to see if they have precut veggies for soup
2. Yukon gold potatoes don’t need to be peeled for kugel
3. Hungarian cooked fish can be made in bekelech and put straight into the fridge after
4. Fresh roasted veggies on YT are easy and delicious. You can put them in the oven in the morning on 225 or 250 and leave them there til the meal.
5. Spring greens make everything look fancy. For dessert a Shpritz of store bought chocolate syrup and/or whipped topping and it looks catered.
6. I freeze meats raw with sauce and bake them overnight on YT on 225. Delicious.
7. Many things can be baked in water in the oven including mashed potatoes and boiled eggs.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 1:44 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Thanks for the idea to put to cook the tzimmes with the chicken! Came out amazing.

Another idea for tzimmes
Use cans of sliced carrots.
I spread on a cookie sheet and drizzle with honey and bake.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:10 pm
Buy a carton of Abes Vanilla icecream. Defrost slightly. In your food processor, do 1/3 of it with a 2-3 chopped kiwis. 1/3 of it with 1/4 cup cranberries (the frozen kind) and a little sugar. And 1/3 of it with grated rind of some lemons. You end up with 3 colors of icecream you can serve in scoops. You can play around with the amounts of this, depending on how much icecream you need.
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics