Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
PJOurWay books review thread
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13 14  15  16  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:34 pm
Judging books by their covers, nothing even compelled me to click for more details.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:39 pm
seeker wrote:
Judging books by their covers, nothing even compelled me to click for more details.

Same

happy chick

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:18 am
albert einstein and the book of secrets both look so-so. any opinions?

the other 2 are both big no-nos.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:34 am
Personally I don't consider Einstein a Jewish role model per se so I wouldn't go for a book that tries to make him one. I'd rather have a biography of him that isn't produced by PJ, I'm sure the library has plenty. But that's just me.

Don't know the other one.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:07 pm
seeker wrote:
Personally I don't consider Einstein a Jewish role model per se so I wouldn't go for a book that tries to make him one. I'd rather have a biography of him that isn't produced by PJ, I'm sure the library has plenty. But that's just me.

Don't know the other one.

It's not produced by PJ. It's a DK book.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:21 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
It's not produced by PJ. It's a DK book.

They often modify books to a PJ version. That said, it's possible this isn't one of those. I don't know. I'm just not so compelled to find out, this is going to be one of those months I save the environment by not getting books we might not read.

SaraFruma

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 12:10 pm
Hi! I wanted to see if anyone had read these books or had any thoughts...before I "order" them through PJ Our Way, I wanted to get a better idea if they were appropriate/hashkafically in line.

The Time Tunnel: The Dreyfus Affair by Galila Ron-Feder-Amit
The Book of Secrets by Mat Tonti
Aviva vs. the Dybbuk by Mari Lowe
Armstrong & Charlie by Steven B. Frank

Thanks!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:28 am
SaraFruma wrote:
Hi! I wanted to see if anyone had read these books or had any thoughts...before I "order" them through PJ Our Way, I wanted to get a better idea if they were appropriate/hashkafically in line.

The Time Tunnel: The Dreyfus Affair by Galila Ron-Feder-Amit
The Book of Secrets by Mat Tonti
Aviva vs. the Dybbuk by Mari Lowe
Armstrong & Charlie by Steven B. Frank

Thanks!!

Aviva vs. the Dybbuk features frum characters, but it also centers around a women's mikveh so consider that when you order it. (I thought it was fine for my daughter when I pre-read it but it's just something to be aware of. Slight discussion of periods.)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 12:18 pm
The selections this month seem pretty good! I chose the two historical fiction books. Johanna Hurwitz is a great author and her books are, as far as I know, usually kosher, but I don't like fantasy, and the other books seem great too, so...

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Fri, Sep 01 2023, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamaleh

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 12:28 pm
Does anyone know how the aging out process works? Does it stop at their 13th birthday? Can they get a book the month of their birthday?

happy chick

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 1:30 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The selections this month seem pretty good! I chose the two historical fiction books. Johanna Hurwitz is a great author and her books are, as far as I know, usually kosher, but I don't like fantasy, and the other books seem great too, so...

Lucky broken girl has something about the girl davening to Hashem and also other G-d's. Not something our young kids should be reading. Jmho.

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:55 pm
Any opinions on this months books?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:22 pm
happy chick wrote:
Any opinions on this months books?

Definitely the last selection by Leah Sokol from Judaica Press

SaraFruma

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:19 pm
Does anyone have any feedback on the book "How To Be A Mensch" by Catherine Newman? It looks like it would be a funny "life skills" type of book, and it has a more comic-book feel, which my kids usually like. It's on this months PJ Our Way list.

happy chick

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:09 pm
SaraFruma wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback on the book "How To Be A Mensch" by Catherine Newman? It looks like it would be a funny "life skills" type of book, and it has a more comic-book feel, which my kids usually like. It's on this months PJ Our Way list.

There was something in the parent guide that I didn't like. Can't remember what it was. Maybe that it's a non-jewish book that pj tried to turn into a "Jewish read". Im scared of those type of things.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:34 pm
SaraFruma wrote:

I have that book
There were some pages that I didn't want my boys to read yet.. I dont remember it all but there was a section on menstruation.... .
Its a decent book but I would read it thru again before passing on to my kids...

happy chick

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 12:45 pm
has anyone read sweep? seems a little scary. between the falling down the chimney, almost dying in a fire, etc.

the jake book said something about one of his friends being the first to come out as gay.

happy chick

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 12:49 pm
I just refreshed the page and they switched out sweep for the storytellers beads.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 11:17 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

Just got Rip to the Rescue over Yom tov. Very appropriate and great book. (Subtle girlfriend reference)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 11:23 am
If you didn't choose your October book, there's a new selection. Adina at Her Best from Menucha Publishers. (They've offered it before, so I have it already.)
Page 13 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 12  13 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics