Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
PJOurWay books review thread
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 5:34 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Trying to decide between The Inquisitors Tale and Not So Shy. We have the other two.

Were they appropriate?

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 5:46 pm
I had Charlie Thorne. Don't recall any objections. Cute read for those who like action thriller mysteries. The only Jewish element iirc was that it was largely set in Israel so very parve philosophically.

I don't know the others but I think I recall the Inquisitor one being discussed upthread. Will try to search for it.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 3:45 pm
seeker wrote:
I had Charlie Thorne. Don't recall any objections. Cute read for those who like action thriller mysteries. The only Jewish element iirc was that it was largely set in Israel so very parve philosophically.

I don't know the others but I think I recall the Inquisitor one being discussed upthread. Will try to search for it.

Thanks. Charlie Thorne looked too violent for my anxious child. I went with Mort Ziff Is Not Dead . I hope that's a good one. Anyone know?

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:10 pm
I vaguely remember getting it once, I think it was cute but you'd want to preread to see if it's up to your standards

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 5:56 pm
seeker wrote:
I vaguely remember getting it once, I think it was cute but you'd want to preread to see if it's up to your standards

thanks

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:28 pm
So... January, eh? After a couple of months of not ordering, looks like we might have some interesting options here. Has anyone read any yet?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:33 am
Does anyone have any suggestions for this month?

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 11:29 am
I ordered the time tunnel one. The others looked interesting but seemed like they would need me to screen them more attentively, while this one seemed very innocent and I don't really have patience to preread right now.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 4:55 pm
This month has a Judaica Press book by Leah Sokol. A choose your own adventure called The Spanish Plot.
Nothing else looked even a bit interesting.

mfb

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:22 am
Anyone else this month?
I have the one by leah Sokol already

happy chick

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:42 pm
mamaleh wrote:
This month has a Judaica Press book by Leah Sokol. A choose your own adventure called The Spanish Plot.
Nothing else looked even a bit interesting.

they actually all look interesting, but none appropriate other than the spanish plot.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:19 pm
happy chick wrote:
they actually all look interesting, but none appropriate other than the spanish plot.

Thanks, I didn't have time to screen

mamaleh

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:21 pm
happy chick wrote:

You’re right, they did look interesting just not appropriate. I guess I used interesting here as something we might be actually interested in ordering. I apologize if my wording was unclear.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:51 pm
I'm new to this, I just signed up as my oldest just turned 9. What do you all recommend for this month?

The choices are

How to Survive Middle School by Donna Gephart
A Place at the Table by Laura Shovan and Saadia Faruqi
Just a Girl: A True Story if World War II by Lia Levi
Mister Lister and the Two Way Gift by Judith Pransky

mamaleh

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:53 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
I'm new to this, I just signed up as my oldest just turned 9. What do you all recommend for this month?

The choices are

How to Survive Middle School by Donna Gephart
A Place at the Table by Laura Shovan and Saadia Faruqi
Just a Girl: A True Story if World War II by Lia Levi
Mister Lister and the Two Way Gift by Judith Pransky

If you don’t have mister lister, go for that. Frum author/publisher.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 1:09 pm
Mister Lister for sure. Love the easy choice this month.

If you already have it or have two kids, my next pick was Just A Girl. It's a personal memoir which to me is superior to other Holocaust stories, and it seems to be a different angle than the usual (the girl is from Italy)

Optione

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:23 pm
seeker wrote:

If you already have it or have two kids, my next pick was Just A Girl. It's a personal memoir which to me is superior to other Holocaust stories, and it seems to be a different angle than the usual (the girl is from Italy)

Did you find Just A Girl to be scary at all?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:14 pm
seeker wrote:

I agree
I chose those two.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:24 pm
Optione wrote:
Did you find Just A Girl to be scary at all?

I didn't read it yet, but it was rated as being for ages 9+ and the description and parent guide made it sound extremely mild. Like almost whitewashed. But I guess there's a place for that... The "content advisory" was that there's a historical afterword that mentions 6 million Jews being killed. So there's that?

happy chick

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:39 pm
I just had an epiphany. If you choose a book and then they decide to switch it out they just don't send you any books. How am I supposed to know of they switch my book choice?
Page 15 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics