Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Doona article in Ami magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:36 pm
It's not about the doona really that people are objecting to. It was the tone of the article making it seem like a must have on the level of disposable diapers or something, to the extent that women are literally panicking and freaking out that if they can't find a doona they don't even want to bring their baby home from the hospital.
As satire or humor, ok (if a bit dumb. It's hardly on the level of a Shirley Jackson essay on the trials and tribulations of childbearing to put it kindly). But if it was really meant to be a serious article, OY is all I can say.

scintilla

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:42 pm
Honestly? When my doona expires I will panic if it's not easily replaceable. I am not trendy in any way nor do I have much disposable income (actually got mine second hand), but the doona has been the number one best thing that has helped me with my baby, no question. Living in Brooklyn with steps and subways and taxis, you just can't imagine the difference the convenience makes. For me it has nothing to do with "status".

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
It's not about the doona really that people are objecting to. It was the tone of the article making it seem like a must have on the level of disposable diapers or something, to the extent that women are literally panicking and freaking out that if they can't find a doona they don't even want to bring their baby home from the hospital.
As satire or humor, ok (if a bit dumb. It's hardly on the level of a Shirley Jackson essay on the trials and tribulations of childbearing to put it kindly). But if it was really meant to be a serious article, OY is all I can say.

This
If you know me irl, you know I’m a very live and let live kind of person. It was the articles message that really irked me.

I’ll be the first to buy a doona toddler version.
Trust me, shlepping around a car seat+ big stroller with a big kid+ lots of bags is not easy on my back.

Edited a typo

Last edited by Sunny Days on Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:48 pm
scintilla wrote:
Honestly? When my doona expires I will panic if it's not easily replaceable. I am not trendy in any way nor do I have much disposable income (actually got mine second hand), but the doona has been the number one best thing that has helped me with my baby, no question. Living in Brooklyn with steps and subways and taxis, you just can't imagine the difference the convenience makes. For me it has nothing to do with "status".

Sure. But to the extent you wouldn't want to take your new baby home from.the hospital if you don't have one??
It was so hyperbolic that I assumed it was tongue in cheek. Is it? Now I'm not so sure. Maybe an Ami staff person can weigh in here....

GLUE

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:51 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
They do look awesome and they should totally come in a toddler version! Then we’re talking simplify life!

There are toddler car seats that become strollers the one person that I know who got it, got it for an airplane. She said it was good for the plane but not something she would buy for her car.

scintilla

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:54 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
Sure. But to the extent you wouldn't want to take your new baby home from.the hospital if you don't have one??
It was so hyperbolic that I assumed it was tongue in cheek. Is it? Now I'm not so sure. Maybe an Ami staff person can weigh in here....

So that part I laughed at, to me it seemed like a humorous intro to a serious article about supply chain issues and results of you-know-what-19, but I can see how it could come across as ridiculous if you take it at face value!

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:59 pm
GLUE wrote:
There are toddler car seats that become strollers the one person that I know who got it, got it for an airplane. She said it was good for the plane but not something she would buy for her car.

From the research I’ve done, I have not come across anything that would work for us.
I’m good now though. I have a hack now for hooking the car seat in back of the stroller (can only work with a heavy stroller frame).

Also, the doona has a huge disadvantage in my opinion- you can’t carry much with it. I’ve used a graco snap n go & bugaboo/maxi cosi combo in the past to have ample storage space.

Again, I’m happy for all that life’s quality is much improved with a doona, but please, let’s keep our articles on luxury a bit toned down...

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:15 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I happen to not like the doona- I think it’s expensive and not useful beyond 6 months. I never had snap ngo either. Car seat stayed in car child went in stroller.
But the snap n go is still two pieces. The doona is one. Fold the wheels put into the car. For some that is important.
Especially if they use car service or switch cars. Makes life easier.

No problem! Whoever wants one can buy one! What bothers me is the idea that its a MUST have item. People are surprised when someone with a new baby doesnt spend the 550 to buy one. This article implied how 9necessary it is and how no one can manage without it. That bothers me. I'm not denying it can be convenient for some. But the tone and implications were in very poor taste.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:21 pm
bsy wrote:
A graco snap n go is less than 100. Add the 2 together and it's less than 200. Nowhere near 550 for a doona.

550? Have you done your research? Can easily get on sale straight from the Doona website for $400. I seriously don’t understand this obsession with Doona hating. No one is pretending it’s the most cost effective solution. For those who want to pay more for convenience good for them. Why the need to bash people’s choices?

Edit I did not read the article. This is just a response to this thread and similar threads bashing Doona’s on imamother.

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:30 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
550? Have you done your research? Can easily get on sale straight from the Doona website for $400. I seriously don’t understand this obsession with Doona hating. No one is pretending it’s the most cost effective solution. For those who want to pay more for convenience good for them. Why the need to bash people’s choices?

Edit I did not read the article. This is just a response to this thread and similar threads bashing Doona’s on imamother.

The article stated the price went up from 499 to 549. I'm not doona bashing. I'm turned off by the attitude portrayed in the article.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:30 pm
The article was actually spot on. In certain communities, women were actually behaving like that. I've seen it. Women panicking and going crazy because of the doona shortage and "it's gonna be so embarrassing to walk on the street without a doona."
Many people pre ordered for when they'll be back in stock.

Fox

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:52 pm
I almost never buy the frum glossy magazines, but last week was an exception, since I was going to be more-or-less confined to bed.

I'm far too old to have a dog in this particular fight, but let me say this: if you buy these magazines regularly and leave them around the house where anyone can see them, you have zero right to complain about the Doona article.

I mean, have you actually LOOKED at these magazines? Every other page hawks new "collections" of luxury children's clothing; expensive home improvements; jewelry; vacation packages; and gourmet foodstuffs. Oh, and tzedekkah ads interspersed, because, hey, it's a "frum" magazine.

I have no doubt that the Doona is a worthwhile investment for some and a silly luxury for others. I also found elements of the article interesting, such as the reasons for the production slow-down.

But if you're buying these magazines regularly and G-d forbid leaving them where children can find them, it's hard for me to take seriously complaints about a specific article encouraging mindless consumerism. Remove the endorsements of mindless consumerism, and these magazines would be blank.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:18 pm
When I had my baby and people realized I wasn't pushing a Doona... you had to see the shock register on their faces. Before even asking me if it was a girl or boy in the stroller, the question was, "Why didn't you get a Doona????"

(FTR I have nothing against Doonas and would ttly get one for my next baby if I thought it was a huge help for my lifestyle, which it personally isn't.)

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:35 pm
Fox wrote:
I almost never buy the frum glossy magazines, but last week was an exception, since I was going to be more-or-less confined to bed.

I'm far too old to have a dog in this particular fight, but let me say this: if you buy these magazines regularly and leave them around the house where anyone can see them, you have zero right to complain about the Doona article.

I mean, have you actually LOOKED at these magazines? Every other page hawks new "collections" of luxury children's clothing; expensive home improvements; jewelry; vacation packages; and gourmet foodstuffs. Oh, and tzedekkah ads interspersed, because, hey, it's a "frum" magazine.

I have no doubt that the Doona is a worthwhile investment for some and a silly luxury for others. I also found elements of the article interesting, such as the reasons for the production slow-down.

But if you're buying these magazines regularly and G-d forbid leaving them where children can find them, it's hard for me to take seriously complaints about a specific article encouraging mindless consumerism. Remove the endorsements of mindless consumerism, and these magazines would be blank.

I disregard ads. but an article promoting this is different.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:41 pm
I used Graco with all of my children (who have now all outgrown the carriage stage, b'h), but this article actually didn't bother me. I understood it as - hormonal new mom is going crazy because she had her heart set on THIS carriage and it's not in stock! I think it's much more understandable for a lady who has just given birth yesterday to get hysterical over a carriage than for someone who is making, let's say, a wedding, to go crazy over the color scheme. Am I in the minority for thinking so?

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:42 pm
I have nothing against people buying Doonas but the attitude in the article was horrible and so off putting. I would have guessed that it was from a magazine geared toward teens. Is that how the young moms are acting these days, like a bunch of spoiled teenagers?

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:47 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
Those aren’t the safest car seats. Sure, you can in a pinch. But the car seats that adjust in the front and don’t need to be rethreaded to change the harness height are not under $100. People who buy those cheap car seats often don’t have them secured properly. Spend $50 more for the convenience. Please and thank you. I don’t have a Doona and will never have one, but stop with the ‘in my day I walked uphill both ways, barefoot, in the snow’ argument.

This is false and not true information. Every single car seat is safe if you use it correctly. Happens to be that the majority of people don’t know how to install car seats properly. I see people with doonas installed wrong (actually most people don’t even harness their babies properly). It doesn’t make it any safer to have a doona than a Graco. Unless you’re spending on a seat that has specific safety features (but the doona doesn’t have any added safety features like anti rebound bar, load leg, rigid anchors, etc).
Also, regarding rethreading the harness, for real? In the lifetime that your kid is in a doona, you’ll have to do that 2-3 times ever. So it’s weird to Spend $400 more on a car seat just for the no rethread harness feature. A simple Graco for $100 is perfectly safe, but, yes, you’ll have to labor over the rethread harness like 2-3 times, sigh...

DREAMING

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:53 pm
Fox wrote:

I hardly look at the ads. Found the article in poor taste.

Signed,
Love my bugaboo!!!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:56 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Very important!
Especially when I go to the car with another two toddlers multiple times a day.
I don’t understand- if you don’t like a doona then don’t buy one? What’s the problem if other people do like it?
I don’t understand why you guys get to decide what I should or should not buy.
For your info I think the drinks you just bought at the grocery are a massive waste of money, water is so much better. Also that snack bag please take outa your cart, I have a sugar free cookie recipe that is so so much cheaper, and healthier!

Couldn't agree more!!!

Fave

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
My first thought was Victoria has changed over the years.

The article made it sound like she had a baby this summer. It was badly edited, with a repetitive paragraph.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room