Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Story Supplements in the Yom Tov Magazines
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I didn't get the feeling that she was unhappy. More like she felt guilty that she wasn't the perfect wife as protrayed by the Shalom bayis teacher. At the end, she realized that relationships mature and what she had was right for her and her husband at that time and then she was able to relax and appreicate it.

Yes that's also how I read it!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:27 am
WIF, if you happen to be reading this, I enjoyed your story of the mother who was too picky and nixed all the shidduchim, though I didnt like to see the father go over her head. There was a lack of communication there between the daughter and mother as well.
Also, I loved the story of the kid who was left behind on the space station. Really clever!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:28 am
I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who thought that of the ami stories. Lmeisah I do feel a bit bad complaining since I know that the editors put in hours and hours of really hard work, but on the other hand, $11 for something that kept me occupied for maybe 30 minutes, and it being too heavy to hold laying down, is a bit much.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
WIF, if you happen to be reading this, I enjoyed your story of the mother who was too picky and nixed all the shidduchim, though I didnt like to see the father go over her head. There was a lack of communication there between the daughter and mother as well.
Also, I loved the story of the kid who was left behind on the space station. Really clever!

Actually I liked that story because that’s what happened to me- my mother was in denial and unrealistic about what type of shidduch I needed so eventually with my rav’s guidance I went behind her back. That’s how I met my husband.

torquoise

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:30 am
Loved the Mishpacha stories. I especially loved Rachael Lavon's, where the parents end up dating. It was maybe a little unrealistic (such a catch of a guy has stayed unmarried for 20 years??) but who can refuse some great Jewish romance??
I could not get through Lily. Cold, wet, raw hands? Whipping, pulling hair?? Hashem yeracheim. Extra painful knowing this stuff really happened.

mommy2379

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:32 am
torquoise wrote:
Loved the Mishpacha stories. I especially loved Rachael Lavon's, where the parents end up dating. It was maybe a little unrealistic (such a catch of a guy has stayed unmarried for 20 years??) but who can refuse some great Jewish romance??
I could not get through Lily. Cold, wet, raw hands? Whipping, pulling hair?? Hashem yeracheim. Extra painful knowing this stuff really happened.

Well I'd like to think he pushed off shidduchim for a long time while he focused on raising his young children, now that they are older its time to get married. OR maybe he just hadn't met the right one yet...(and I can think these things because I wrote it.) Very Happy

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:36 am
mommy2379 wrote:
Well I'd like to think he pushed off shidduchim for a long time while he focused on raising his young children, now that they are older its time to get married. OR maybe he just hadn't met the right one yet...(and I can think these things because I wrote it.) Very Happy

Your the author? Great story. Love frum romance when it’s done right.

mommy2379

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:40 am
SuperWify wrote:
Your the author? Great story. Love frum romance when it’s done right.

Thanks!

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:29 pm
Anyone read the binah supplement and want to discuss? Don't see those stories mentioned yet...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:57 pm
mommy2379 wrote:

Wow!! I absolutely LOVE your writing and think you are one of the most talented frum writers out there. I wish you would write another serial. Also is your first serial ever coming out in book form?

torquoise

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:00 pm
mommy2379 wrote:

No way!! I think I've loved every single piece of yours that I've ever read! From the Mishpacha serials to the one about HG. And actually, in the back of my mind as was writing my comment above, I was thinking about him being busy raising his own kids. But still, in today's world, do you think shadchanim wouldn't have been down his back, to the point that he would just have to agree at least to a first date? Successful career, good looking, kind, gentle warm...
Maybe there are assertive people out there who would say "call me in 10 years" and hang up, but he didn't seem that type.

mommy2379

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow!! I absolutely LOVE your writing and think you are one of the most talented frum writers out there. I wish you would write another serial. Also is your first serial ever coming out in book form?

Thanks so much. I'm slowlllllyy working on another serial. But like really slowly, have to get my act together and really put in some time to make it happen. I had a few offers to publish House of Mirrors in book form but it only ran for half a year, so its a bit too short for a novel, so no, I have no plans on publishing at this time.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:05 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Thanks so much. I'm slowlllllyy working on another serial. But like really slowly, have to get my act together and really put in some time to make it happen. I had a few offers to publish House of Mirrors in book form but it only ran for half a year, so its a bit too short for a novel, so no, I have no plans on publishing at this time.

Well please write more!. I also absolutely loved every piece you have ever written. I especially love your humor.

mommy2379

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:06 pm
torquoise wrote:
No way!! I think I've loved every single piece of yours that I've ever read! From the Mishpacha serials to the one about HG. And actually, in the back of my mind as was writing my comment above, I was thinking about him being busy raising his own kids. But still, in today's world, do you think shadchanim wouldn't have been down his back, to the point that he would just have to agree at least to a first date? Successful career, good looking, kind, gentle warm...
Maybe there are assertive people out there who would say "call me in 10 years" and hang up, but he didn't seem that type.

Hear that. In my mind he'd dated a bit here and there over the years. I didn't think she was the first woman he'd dated since his divorce, I'm wondering if I wrote something in there that made it seem like she was? I'll have to go back and reread!

torquoise

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 1:29 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Hear that. In my mind he'd dated a bit here and there over the years. I didn't think she was the first woman he'd dated since his divorce, I'm wondering if I wrote something in there that made it seem like she was? I'll have to go back and reread!

I did get that feeling too. You're right, it could just be that he hadn't met the one.
I loved the way he was all awkward on the phone at the end. It was adorable!!

iyar

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 3:16 pm
mommy2379 wrote:

I was lurking here reading without saying a word because I thought some of the writing was... let's just say- not stellar, and I was afraid the writers might be lurking here too.
But- You're here?!
I loved your short story!
Write more! Please.

I'm not going to add any specific comments on other writing but here's one thing I think I can mention without offending any authors- I hate the way Hamodia feels they have to tell us, in big letters, which story is science fiction and which is satire. As if we'd never have figured out what's what on our own.
And that satire piece- Great writing, I'm sure some people enjoyed, but seriously? You think I'm relaxing with the story supplement because I wanted a mussar shmooze? What it needed, instead of "SATIRE" emblazoned on the front page, was a warning from the surgeon general.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 3:31 pm
mommy2379 wrote:

Cool. I shall have to stalk you. Your story was oneg Shabbos. (See earlier post last page.)

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 3:37 pm
mommy2379 wrote:

Haven’t read the Mishpacha one yet but I am always a huge huge fan of your work, if I’m understanding correctly that you are Rachel Lavon. Thank you for doing such a great service for the frum world! Quality interesting fiction!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 3:49 pm
iyar wrote:
I was lurking here reading without saying a word because I thought some of the writing was... let's just say- not stellar, and I was afraid the writers might be lurking here too.
But- You're here?!
I loved your short story!
Write more! Please.

I'm not going to add any specific comments on other writing but here's one thing I think I can mention without offending any authors- I hate the way Hamodia feels they have to tell us, in big letters, which story is science fiction and which is satire. As if we'd never have figured out what's what on our own.
And that satire piece- Great writing, I'm sure some people enjoyed, but seriously? You think I'm relaxing with the story supplement because I wanted a mussar shmooze? What it needed, instead of "SATIRE" emblazoned on the front page, was a warning from the surgeon general.

I do appreciate when they specify "fiction" or "non-fiction". I've been an Ami reader since the very first issue and have still not figured out what genre their "Our Days" section is. Although it usually seems to be essays, there were times that I've read articles written in the first person but the narrator's name doesn't match the author's name, leading me to wonder if it's fictional. I find that in general, an inspirational piece of writing makes more of an impact when it's nonfiction, and when I want light reading, I prefer a good piece of fiction. It definitely impacts how I perceive what I'm reading, if I can identify the genre. So please specify!

iyar

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 3:59 pm
Of course Amelia, we want to know what's true and what's fiction. We don't need to have them spell out for us that something was meant to be satirical. A good writer can get that point across without putting it on the front page.
Interesting, as you point out, that when it comes to the line between fiction and non, Ami prefers to blur that in some columns. There was a long series in one of the magazines, stories by a certain author, that were presented as having actually happened but they never spelled out if there was a good portion of non-fiction mixed in. I always suspected the stories were either completely fictitious or at least partially and after a while stopped reading it.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room