Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Be honest. Do you like receiving photos as gifts?
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's impossible to please. Forget him. He hates everything. This year I got him one of those blankets with sleeves and he can keep it or re-gift it.

I'm asking in general (and to know what my inlaws are thinking!).

Sounds like my MIL. The only gift I've ever given her that she really liked was wind chimes. But she does like the pictures I've sent. One year I gave her and my parents a mouse pad with my kids picture on it. My parents still use it. My MIL displayed it and never used it.

Most grandparents like pictures of their grandchildren.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
No, I would not like to receive framed photos.

As the safta, if I want to display photos, I want to choose which ones to develop and frame. For example, I like natural photos and really don't need a studio family portrait. I also want to choose the frame. My décor is casual but everything was chosen with care, and I don't like it when someone foists a décor choice on me.

I do love receiving fridge magnet photos or stam photos that I can stick on the fridge. Those aren't permanent type gifts that will need to be displayed on a shelf forever. Fridge photos are fun.

That said, we don't really do chanuka gifts at all and I am not expecting anything (we are in Israel and at least in my circles chanuka gift giving is not a thing). But in any case, I would prefer nothing to a framed picture that I must display long term, whether I like the frame or specific photo or not.

This is why another poster wrote to know your recipient. I hate having magnets on my fridge. My kitchen is small and when my fridge is covered in magnets it looks very cluttered. I threw out all of my magnets besides a few that my kids really wanted and those are on the side of the fridge that you only see when you're standing on that side.

But I love to display pictures of my grandkids in the frames my kids bought. I love the look of all the different sizes and types of frames mixed together.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:00 pm
I do. I ask people to send me pictures all the time.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:00 pm
No. Only for grandparents. Exception is for a nanny IF she herself is ALSO in the picture with the kids.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:28 pm
Another option I know some recipients have loved is an electronic frame you can email pictures to. It’s clean and can constantly be updated with minimal work.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:29 pm
from my kids, definitely. Even more so if framed but even if not. From other people? Not so much.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:38 pm
My father regularly requests such photos.

Anyone other than a grandparent? No.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
No. Only for grandparents. Exception is for a nanny IF she herself is ALSO in the picture with the kids.

Don’t give that to your nanny as a holiday gift except it’s along with other gifts.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
With all due respect, what you have on your fridge is not what I am asking about. I am asking those who have received framed photos of their children/grandchildren if they like to receive it as a gift.

I apologise for joining the discussion and sharing what I enjoy receiving.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:11 pm
My parents specifically requested pictures of my family and children for their birthdays. They actually told me they don't want me to get them anything else just nicely printed photos in frames.
(I know you said you want to hear from the receiver but this message is basically coming from them 🙂)
I wouldn't give someone this as a gift unless they have asked for it or I know for a fact it is something they would want.
And like others are saying it's usually only an appropriate present for a parent/grandparent.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
Don’t give that to your nanny as a holiday gift except it’s along with other gifts.

Don't worry, we give it with a whole lot of cash

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 4:40 pm
For mu virthday and mothers day my kids bought me a necklace with all their names on it. I love it and never take it off.
On Friday a package came in and 2 of my dd's were here. They wanted to video me opening the package as it was a gift from all the kids and they wanted to share my reaction to it. I said "after getting me this necklace, how can you outdo that?" I really thought it wasn't possible for me to be as pleased and happy with anything else. Well, the package was mixtiles. 27 pictures of my children and grandchildren. I love them. I was so touched that almost cried seeing them. https://www.mixtiles.com/

So yeah, give me pictures any day.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 4:52 pm
I’m not a grandparent but I love getting pictures of kids I know/am close to.
I give my parents in laws and grandparents pictures whenever I can, and I do have my recipient in mind.
My mil is bothered by many many things I do, so she gets very few pictures because I know she will be deeply bothered by a picture of a kid with messy hair/no socks/any other imperfection, take your pick.

My mom loves getting pictures of the grandkids, no matter what they look like. If it’s a nice picture or they look like they are having fun, she receives it. Electronically or in print.

For our Chanukah gift this year we are giving a professional photo of all the grandkids. I know she is going to love it.

hellokitty

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 4:59 pm
personally, "my side" of the family is small and I have only one nephew - I'm especially close with him and his parents. they gave a photo and I framed it myself; I would love an updated photo to fit in my existing frame.

I'd be overwhelmed by framed photos from dh side, many more kids and not as close

I'd say you gotta know the recipient to decide

essie14

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 8:10 pm
My in laws love getting framed photos of the kids and they display them all over their home. If it's not framed they might never get around to buying a frame.
My parents as well, but my mom is better at buying a frame if the photo is not framed but I usually gift the same thing to both sets of grandparents.
Everyone else gets photos via whatsapp or maybe a photo magnet. My siblings wouldn't display framed photos of my kids so why bother.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 8:24 pm
I like getting framed photos of my grandchildren, but not every year for every occasion. It's true that I'm a loving grandmother, and it's also true that I'm a well-rounded individual with a variety of interests.

I do like to have updated, recent photos. I don't need pictures all over the place. But some grandparents do. This isn't a one size fits all gift suggestion.

twizzlers1

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 10:50 pm
I personally do not like just regular framed of photos. I don't have that many places to keep hanging them. And the ones I have I want to all match on a gallery wall. I get pictures all the times and I'm very happy to pick and choose the ones I personally like. So for me I really wouldn't appreciate that for a gift. Maybe if it was on a mug or something like that I would like it.

amother
Freesia

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:56 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Another option I know some recipients have loved is an electronic frame you can email pictures to. It’s clean and can constantly be updated with minimal work.

Do you have a link for a good one? Would love to get something like this for my parents.

ellacoe

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:59 pm
I love getting pictures of my children and grandchildren.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:48 am
I like to see pics of nieces and nephews digital. I've got nowhere to store framed photos of them. I'll keep a the space I have for my own children. I would find it weird if I receive a pic frame of siblings kids. It's literally just to show off cos it's not my nachas.

But grandparents are different. 1 set love pics although without frames, they like to pick up their own. The other doesn't want pics. Each to their own.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics