Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/O Things that make life easier
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:20 pm
Second freezer!

What is a tzomet device for a dishwasher? I think I want one

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:22 pm
@amother buttercup

Which smartwatch do you have? I've also been on the fence. I think it would help me in the same way. I have an iPhone.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:24 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
I run my house in a way that I am CONSTANTLY looking for things to make my life easier. I have ADHD and a large family B"H so to stay sane and calm and keep things at least minimally functioning, I am always on the lookout for ways to improve things.

Here's a very partial list:

- Blackout curtains! I got 100% blackout from Walmart, they are very cheap and do a great job. Kids sleep better with darker rooms, and I can close the shades early on a summer night to encourage sleepiness.

- Large washing machine. I used to have to do two loads where now I can do one!

- Dishwasher with third rack for cutlery. I thought this was an unnecessary luxury. It makes unloading the dishwasher SO. MUCH. EASIER. that it actually gets done.

- Newer dryer with moisture sensor. Loads get more consistently dry, without wasting electricity on extra-long cycles.

- Online shopping! I have Walmart+, Target Circle and Amazon Prime. Instacart is too expensive for me, but I know it is great for a lot of people. I order food from frum stores online too. Other go-to websites for me are DriveGoods.com and Baytaynu.com.

- Smartwatch. I resisted this for a long time but it has enhanced my life immeasurably. I think I now have to split my life into "before watch" and "after watch."

- Ink tank printer. My kids need a lot of stuff printed for school and not having to keep "worry about ink" on the radar is very freeing!

- Standing dustpan. Every time I can't find mine and have to bend down to sweep the floor I thank Hashem again for mine.

Can you help me? Which smartwatch do you own and how can it help with ADHD?
I'm trying to find apps that could help me organize too. I also have ADHD.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
@amother buttercup

Which smartwatch do you have? I've also been on the fence. I think it would help me in the same way. I have an iPhone.

She said she has the SE. I have the series 6 Apple Watch and love it. The only main difference is the “always on” feature which means I can always glance at my watch and will see the time vs having to flick my wrist a certain way to activate it. I have this need to see the time at all times so I love that feature but if you don’t care then definitely worth the money you save to just get the SE. I use it for work as well and find it super helpful.

emzod42

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:26 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Thanks. I'm very torn if I should get one or not. My kids always leave toys everywhere so I'm wondering if the Roomba is even worth it or will I have to spend so much time cleaning beforehand that I might as well just sweep also...

Yeah it ended up not being so worth it for me because of this.. You have to make sure the floor is reasonably clean before. I need a robot that tidies and puts away laundry!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
A tzomet device on my dishwasher. I load the dishes on Friday night and have them clean for the morning.

(So many of the conveniences being mentioned are only available in the US. I thought I'd mention an Israeli one )

What is tzomet can you link it please?

cupcake123

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:42 pm
That's part of why I love roomba.. after supper my house is full of crumbs/little dirt /dust. Theres a ton of toys also. I quickly clean up the toys then turn on roomba. When I come down everything is spotless. Imo roomba is worth every penny. In fact I have 2 ☺️ one for each floor! No cleaning help..

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Second freezer!

What is a tzomet device for a dishwasher? I think I want one

Essentially, it makes it possible to use a dishwasher on a timer on shabbos.

Normally, the dishwasher won't turn on if the door is not properly closed. So closing the door of the dishwasher allows the cycle to start. (And can't be done on shabbos.) Tzomet adds a switch that disables this feature. The downside is that the machine will go on at the set time even if the dishwasher hasn't been properly closed.

There are a few other considerations, but that's the main one.

I find that I host much more often because having guests is so much easier.

ETA here's a link
http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/?C.....asher

honeymoon

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
No, it doesn't get stuck on toys. I would pick up anything with strings that could get stuck.

We have one that returns to the base itself to recharge, and empties itself. So our version of a child (the dog) is fast asleep when it runs at 5 am.

Can you please post a link?

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:36 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Ppl with a roomba- does it get caught on every toy etc that's on the floor? How do your little kids react to it?

You definitely need to clear the area first. But some are "smarter" than others. My roomba would knock into things and get stuck all the time and stop cleaning. My roborock goes around the toys that are on the floor and cleans around it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:55 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
Shipt for Target!

YES!! I end up spending so much extra though Can't Believe It

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 7:01 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
The sorter for my laundry that I bought 15 years ago for $50 and dh hated at the time, but it was a game changer for me for laundry.

I do a weekly walmart order for pickup (I started this almost two years ago when COVID started, but I should have started it years before), and I use walmart or amazon free shipping for most of my shopping needs for things I can order online.

I have some staples I do S&S for on amazon (food and paper). I am particular and see what's a good price.

Getting a second freezer was a game changer---highly recommend.

Roomba

I have a kindle fire tablet. I particularly like to use it to read e-books from the library or amazon prime reading. (FYI if you live or attend university anywhere in NYS, you can get a NYPL e-library card.)

My hot water urn I use all week, set up with disposable cups, coffee, tea, etc.

My instant pot, particularly for pre-YT cooking (and I have a separate pressure cooker for pesach too---which I do use A LOT for pesach cooking.)

Years ago, I also got a caddy for my table for disposable plates, cups, bowls, flatware, etc. We typically use disposables for milchigs, and rather than chase my kids around re: dirty dishes, if they take something I just prefer they use disposable and throw it away.

Programmable thermostat---even a basic one--is so great. I have a wifi enabled one so I can adjust the program or temp from my bedroom or when I'm out and about, but even just a regular programmable thermostat was a great upgrade when I first did it years ago.

What’s a laundry sorter?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
What’s a laundry sorter?

It’s like a cart with 3-4 cloth bins that hang on it. So I can sort the laundry as it goes in the hamper.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 7:07 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
It’s like a cart with 3-4 cloth bins that hang on it. So I can sort the laundry as it goes in the hamper.

Do you have a link, that sounds interesting.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 7:18 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Not op , but this is the one we have. It's almost 5 years old and in amazing condition. We never put the wheels on. It's a life changer being able to throw in a load without waiting to sort. SONGMICS 4-Bag Laundry Cart Sorter URLS90H, Rolling Laundry Basket Hamper, with 4 Removable Bags, Casters and Brakes, Black https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....2be5c

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 7:19 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....893f4

I love these because the laundry sorts itself, and you can just wheel the hamper from the bedroom to the laundry room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....916f8

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 7:59 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....893f4

I love these because the laundry sorts itself, and you can just wheel the hamper from the bedroom to the laundry room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....916f8

I just grab a bag at a time to bring it to the machine (challenge is always returning the bag to it's place)

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:07 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
The sorter for my laundry that I bought 15 years ago for $50 and dh hated at the time, but it was a game changer for me for laundry.

I do a weekly walmart order for pickup (I started this almost two years ago when COVID started, but I should have started it years before), and I use walmart or amazon free shipping for most of my shopping needs for things I can order online.

I have some staples I do S&S for on amazon (food and paper). I am particular and see what's a good price.

Getting a second freezer was a game changer---highly recommend.

Roomba

I have a kindle fire tablet. I particularly like to use it to read e-books from the library or amazon prime reading. (FYI if you live or attend university anywhere in NYS, you can get a NYPL e-library card.)

My hot water urn I use all week, set up with disposable cups, coffee, tea, etc.

My instant pot, particularly for pre-YT cooking (and I have a separate pressure cooker for pesach too---which I do use A LOT for pesach cooking.)

Years ago, I also got a caddy for my table for disposable plates, cups, bowls, flatware, etc. We typically use disposables for milchigs, and rather than chase my kids around re: dirty dishes, if they take something I just prefer they use disposable and throw it away.

Programmable thermostat---even a basic one--is so great. I have a wifi enabled one so I can adjust the program or temp from my bedroom or when I'm out and about, but even just a regular programmable thermostat was a great upgrade when I first did it years ago.

Whats S and S?

Whats the link for the caddy?

Moonlight

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:07 pm
My insta-hot. Coffe ready when I need it. Also I dont need to wait for water to boil for eggs or pasta etc

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:14 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Roomba!!

my kids call it "Baby Roomba!" we love it!
I'll add extra clean chicken bottoms!
salmon slices spiced and ready to bake
my cleaning lady!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics