Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chassidish move to Florida
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:22 pm
pause wrote:
North Miami Beach is probably the closest you'll get, but you need to be prepared for lots of change, compromise, and a long time waiting till others come... Chassidishe people are reluctant to leave their mother's Shabbos fish packages and miss out on countless simchos.

Or how about people have good jobs that they can't leave because there aren't that many good job opportunities in Florida?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:23 pm
If your kids are currently in "ultra chassidish" schools as you describe, be aware the schools here (even the most right wing) will be a huge shift and probably a culture shock for them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:26 pm
In regards to Cheder and schools, yes that is one of the only things is still keeping us back from finalizing the move. We are ok with waiting 2-4 years, hoping that more chassidim would join so that we can open a chassidish mosdos... my kids are between the ages of 6 months- 3 years old....

Last edited by amother on Sun, Mar 13 2022, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

perfume1998

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:36 pm
In regards to the culture shock, I think it also depends a lot on the parents. I think that goes in to the category of teaching my children the importance of basic respect for others regardless their way of life.

The reason why we are not so concerned about mixed community even though we are ultra chassidish is because my husband was raised in an out of town community since his father is the rabbi of the city, and all of his siblings turned out ultra chassidish like their parents despite being raised as the only chassidim in the community.

That taught me that chinuch has a lot more to do with how you are being raised in at home, vs. the outside world. Of course, I am not dismissing the importance of sending to a chassidish mosdos and raising your kids in an neighborhood catered for their chinuch. I think that it is very important and you should give it to your kids if you have the opportunity, but I will also point out that I find that the out of town frum people grow up to be a lot nicer and sincere human beings. That is one of the good points that weighs towards the move when weighing pros and cons.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:49 pm
Esty 4 wrote:
Orlando community sounds perfect, there still in planning stages and excepting serious applications

Do you know for when they're planning to move?

Esty 4

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:28 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
Do you know for when they're planning to move?

they don't want to move before everything is thoroughly planned out... should be soon enough, they're hard at work...
if u are interested I would advise u to contact them directly as I have no more info

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:29 pm
Esty 4 wrote:
they don't want to move before everything is thoroughly planned out... should be soon enough, they're hard at work...
if u are interested I would advise u to contact them directly as I have no more info

Ok thanks. I see you can only email would love to to speak to someone in person wonder if it will be ready for coming school year or it will still take a while

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:40 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I highly doubt that. Unless if they don’t care to change the lifestyle they’re coming from. I’m sure they love the climate though.

Do you actually know them that you can say you doubt they're happy? They didn't change a thing about their lifestyle. The girls go to BY wearing their brown tights, the boys go to yeshiva with their long curly payos and they seem happy enough.

Why would they have to change anything?! If they firmly believe that the lifestyle they are living is truly emes whatever everyone else around them is doing doesn't come into any equation.

singsong

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:44 pm
perfume1998 wrote:
In regards to Cheder and schools, yes that is one of the only things is still keeping us back from finalizing the move. We are ok with waiting 2-4 years, hoping that more chassidim would join so that we can open a chassidish mosdos... my kids are between the ages of 6 months- 3 years old....

Someone has to be the first one though 😉. I see quite a few shtreimels in NMB but aside from the rav of khal chassidim that is planning to open a chassidish cheder (still in the planning stages from what I hear, and I don't know a thing about it since it wouldn't be applicable to me even if it was already opened), most chassidim living here seem happy enough sending to the local schools - chabad, YES, Toras Emes, and Bais Yaakov.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:46 pm
perfume1998 wrote:

I would be shocked if there will be a chassidish school in the Miami area in the next 2-4 years. There are very few families currently there, and the ones there send to the existing schools. There's no movement to open a whole new set of mosdos for chassidim.

Those who desire that are moving to Tampa or possibly Orlando. If that's important to you, I'd suggest you look into those communities. If you're set on Miami, accept that non-chassidish mosdos will be part of the package for a long long time, possibly forever.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:16 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
Do you actually know them that you can say you doubt they're happy? They didn't change a thing about their lifestyle. The girls go to BY wearing their brown tights, the boys go to yeshiva with their long curly payos and they seem happy enough.

Why would they have to change anything?! If they firmly believe that the lifestyle they are living is truly emes whatever everyone else around them is doing doesn't come into any equation.

I know a thing or two about Tosh and it’s impossible that they didn’t have to change at least somewhat to be able to fit into BY style schools in Miami. Even BY anywhere in Canada or NY is way different than Tosh, forget about BY in Miami. It doesn’t mean they did anything wrong. But it would be naive to think that they are exactly the same as till now just in a different location. It’s not realistic to believe that so I won’t let anyone convince themselves or others that they are exactly the same and that it’s a simple transition for a Chasidish family.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:20 pm
Are you ok knowing your children will grow up less chassudysh and way more open minded?

losingweight

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:26 pm
The reason why we are not so concerned about mixed community even though we are ultra chassidish is because my husband was raised in an out of town community since his father is the rabbi of the city, and all of his siblings turned out ultra chassidish like their parents despite being raised as the only chassidim in the community.

Being the rabbis kids, you're expected to be way for chassidish/frum than the mainstream communite you live in. ThatS possibly one reason his family remained so strong to their chassidish lifestyle. Being the only ones in a community that are different, you need to work much harder for your kids to hold onto your mesorah. my humble opinion

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:29 pm
You can ask the rabbi from Khal Chassidim in NMB to connect you to chassidish families who are already there. There are a couple of families like yours. My husband met a guy like that in shul when we were there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:36 pm
I am aware about them growing up more open minded, but in regards to less chassidish, that is not a concern for me. As I mentioned before, Real chassidus, and chassidish pride comes more from the home, and they way the parent role model the chassidus to the children plays a greater role in the chinuch regardless the location.

My in-laws live out of town, and raised their large family in a town where they were the only chassidim. All of their children turned out frum and chassidish just like all their cousins that grew up in chassidish communities did. If the parents are passionate about their chassidishkeit, and live it with authenticity and value, it will go right over to the kids. My in-laws claim that the reason they were successful raising all their children in the same path as them is because they live chassidishkeit with healthy pride and genuine values, if you have that then the kids will follow you because all kids want is a healthy value system ,and a culture they belong to with pride. Non Of their children ever thought for a moment to change despite being constantly surrounded by different people. The reason for that is because they had a healthy attachment to their home, and were raised with genuine values for chassidishkeit, therefore they felt no need to ever think of maybe changing....

Last edited by amother on Sun, Mar 13 2022, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

pause

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:11 am
perfume, your kids are still young and you are very idealistic. There are people who can make it work with that kind of idealism. OTOH, your kids are their own people and as they grow up, they might not follow the idealistic trend you're hoping for them. Most kids are affected by their peers - at least to some extent. Should you move anywhere without a chassidish infrastructure, you need to be ok with the possibility of your kids turning out not chassidish.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:16 am
I think it depends on what ultra chassidish means to you. If your children are in Beer Miriam and you share those values, you would not even be considering a move to Florida. Parents of children in mosdos like Pupa could consider moving and there are brokers in NY who help the chassidishe community out with finding FL real estate.

busy mommy

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:41 am
I just want to point out there are a sprinkle of chassidish (streimel, long payos etc) families in NMB now but they are not your typical in town chassidish families. Also regarding the cheder that the rav of Khal Chassidim is planning on opening, it is not going to be a chassidish school but rather a more right leaning Chedar. They do not plan to accept anyone just because the father wears a streimel.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:42 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I know a thing or two about Tosh and it’s impossible that they didn’t have to change at least somewhat to be able to fit into BY style schools in Miami. Even BY anywhere in Canada or NY is way different than Tosh, forget about BY in Miami. It doesn’t mean they did anything wrong. But it would be naive to think that they are exactly the same as till now just in a different location. It’s not realistic to believe that so I won’t let anyone convince themselves or others that they are exactly the same and that it’s a simple transition for a Chasidish family.

looks like you havn't been in Tosh in a long time... Or you just dknow one type...
I live in Tosh and THERE ARE ALL TYPES (think non shaving...).
I know the family who moved to Florida and no, they did NOT change. They are still as neutral chasidish and refined as they were when living here.
As a matter of fact there are families that are even more open minded than them still living here...

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 7:27 am
perfume1998 wrote:
I am aware about them growing up more open minded, but in regards to less chassidish, that is not a concern for me. As I mentioned before, Real chassidus, and chassidish pride comes more from the home, and they way the parent role model the chassidus to the children plays a greater role in the chinuch regardless the location.

My in-laws live out of town, and raised their large family in a town where they were the only chassidim. All of their children turned out frum and chassidish just like all their cousins that grew up in chassidish communities did. If the parents are passionate about their chassidishkeit, and live it with authenticity and value, it will go right over to the kids. My in-laws claim that the reason they were successful raising all their children in the same path as them is because they live chassidishkeit with healthy pride and genuine values, if you have that then the kids will follow you because all kids want is a healthy value system ,and a culture they belong to with pride. Non Of their children ever thought for a moment to change despite being constantly surrounded by different people. The reason for that is because they had a healthy attachment to their home, and were raised with genuine values for chassidishkeit, therefore they felt no need to ever think of maybe changing....

As someone said above, you are still young.
Kids are not just continuations of their parents' idealism and values.
It worked for your dh's parents and their entire family. That's lovely. It does work sometimes. That doesn't mean it always works.
Also, your dh is a different generation than his kids will be.
I live in an extremely open, pluralistic community. And I can tell you that kids will often surprise you. It can work in any direction. For example, the child of very secular, loving, idealistic and well-educated parents can suddenly become an extreme BT.
There is no guarantee at all that your kids will go in your direction, but it does help if you send them to schools that embrace your values.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating