Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What do you wish Lakewood has?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:00 am
jeg wrote:
Jews of different ethnic background. Black Jews. A Latinx Jews. Etc.

Jews of different ethnic backgrounds are around 1% of the orthodox population in general so aside from a few small exceptions it’s pretty hard to get that. However, there are definitely black frum Jews living in Lakewood, which I know to be 100% true. The kids are in regular Lakewood schools and look basically Sephardi. Not giving any more information for their privacy, but they’re here. I also know Mexican Jews living here.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:04 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
Jews of different ethnic backgrounds are around 1% of the orthodox population in general so aside from a few small exceptions it’s pretty hard to get that. However, there are definitely black frum Jews living in Lakewood, which I know to be 100% true. The kids are in regular Lakewood schools and look basically Sephardi. Not giving any more information for their privacy, but they’re here. I also know Mexican Jews living here.

And a large temani Jewish population

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:08 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
And a large temani Jewish population

Yep. But I guess pp is looking for black and Hispanic gerim. Not sure why that’s the only sign of diversity (as opposed to Jews from Russian and Yemen, Morocco and Netherlands….), but anyhow they’re here too.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:16 am
They take vsp. Experience is different.

OK B"H. I pay for that plan (thru work), was getting worried that I'm paying for nothing! How was the experience different?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:18 am
Chayalle wrote:
OK B"H. I pay for that plan (thru work), was getting worried that I'm paying for nothing! How was the experience different?

I ended up paying more $$. Used to walk out with just copay - now there were more add on fees. And they charge to use the warranty. Not much but with lots of ppl in glasses I’m really disappointed.

My dh is ready to switch to a place that doesn’t take vsp but we will get reimbursed out of network partially.

jewishmommy1

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:36 am
We have gotten glasses through vsp at Optical Eyeland (Minzer's eidim). They charge you up front and then they process insurance (maybe as out of network? not sure) and we got a full refund within about two weeks. So the glasses were totally covered by vsp. And Optical Eyeland has definitely replaced many of my boys' glasses under warranty! Not sure if those pairs were purchased through jerseycare or vsp, but I think some were vsp.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:39 am
jewishmommy1 wrote:
We have gotten glasses through vsp at Optical Eyeland (Minzer's eidim). They charge you up front and then they process insurance (maybe as out of network? not sure) and we got a full refund within about two weeks. So the glasses were totally covered by vsp. And Optical Eyeland has definitely replaced many of my boys' glasses under warranty! Not sure if those pairs were purchased through jerseycare or vsp, but I think some were vsp.

I tried optical island. I had a much higher copay going through them (like $100 instead of $10) and I get free lens enhancements I thought I needed to be in network to get.
Maybe I should try again.
I loved how they did the warranty. They were extremely generous. Like replaced parts of glasses each time. Better then any place I’ve gone.

Maybe I should try again next time.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:04 am
The heart of lkwd has always been bmg and a yeshivish community. That is literally why the lakewood community was started and grew. Anyone who has come recently is piggy backing on that.

If ppl want more diversity they would have to open schools and whatever to attract more of that. .
(There is diversity in terms of litvish, chassidim, Sephardim all living together. Just not the diversity some are looking for )

Lakewood has always been supported by "outside" money. I know most of my grade & camp mates moved here as young couples in the late 90's. They were far from what I consider yeshivish... They wore Escada and Mondi (lol) Vacationed and were far from deprived... Not sure what the difference is.... Maybe because they came with $$$?
Plenty of fine people from Bp who need to move in because of the change of times. Do you think bp always looked like today? No. People moved in from Williamsburg , Crownheights and wherever else. I hope they didnt get the atitude we are getting.
We are all in the same Golus and because you were in an area first doesn't give you the right to push frum erlich yidden away.

I just for the life of me don't get why a large Bais Yaakov like bybp doesn't open up. The school is nice It's a no brainer... The school is a nice frum enviroment today, would fit right into lakewood....
Anyone has any idea? Is the Vaad controling to keep the power ?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:06 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Lakewood has always been supported by "outside" money. I know most of my grade & camp mates moved here as young couples in the late 90's. They were far from what I consider yeshivish... They wore Escada and Mondi (lol) Vacationed and were far from deprived... Not sure what the difference is.... Maybe because they came with $$$?
Plenty of fine people from Bp who need to move in because of the change of times. Do you think bp always looked like today? No. People moved in from Williamsburg , Crownheights and wherever else. I hope they didnt get the atitude we are getting.
We are all in the same Golus and because you were in an area first doesn't give you the right to push frum erlich yidden away.

I just for the life of me don't get why a large Bais Yaakov like bybp doesn't open up. The school is nice It's a no brainer... The school is a nice frum enviroment today, would fit right into lakewood....

What’s specific about bybp? Schools are opening. You mean a large school? That’s what bais faiga is. Unless you mean something else?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:26 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:

Who is pushing frum women away?
I was just explaining why the town may not be as diverse as ppl would like and may not have schools or community they want that ppl are complaining about.
If ppl would like to create it that is great.
But it isn’t here already created waiting for them.
Lkwd is a town bursting at the seams. If someone has the means to create more schools ppl would be thrilled.
Many New York schools have already opened branches in lkwd - both boys and girls.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:38 am
I ended up paying more $$. Used to walk out with just copay - now there were more add on fees. And they charge to use the warranty. Not much but with lots of ppl in glasses I’m really disappointed.

My dh is ready to switch to a place that doesn’t take vsp but we will get reimbursed out of network partially.

What about contact lenses?

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:40 am
Who is pushing frum women away?
I was just explaining why the town may not be as diverse as ppl would like and may not have schools or community they want that ppl are complaining about.
If ppl would like to create it that is great.
But it isn’t here already created waiting for them.
Lkwd is a town bursting at the seams. If someone has the means to create more schools ppl would be thrilled.
Many New York schools have already opened branches in lkwd - both boys and girls.

In many threads people are outright pushing away...and speaking with such arrogance. My point is that Lakewood has received much support over the years and maybe now is the time to give back and show some hakaras hatov.
There's been such growth in every area as stated in another thread, but we can't manage to put up more schools ? That's why I wonder if it's politics....

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
What about contact lenses?

I haven’t ordered since dr borkowski closed. I wonder.
I got a Better deal from his store with insurance then cheap online places.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:56 am
Anyone mention boys high schools that actually care about providing a good English education so that my son doesn't have to dorm in NY?

emi1812

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:49 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
More babysitters, playgroups for all ages, day camps.
I wish registration for them wouldn't be isru chag succos and if you missed it your left scrambling.
I wish I didn't need to start shopping for the next season 5 months in advance because otherwise they sell out of sizes.

It’s like this for boys schools too. There seems to be an arbitrary, fleeting 10 second window of time to apply. If you don’t call for an application the day schools are back after succos, you’re gonna be left in the dust. I called like 2.5 not even 3 weeks after succos for an application and they’re all ALREADY full! Insane!

happytobemom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:56 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
More ppl with smiles
Sorry I know I’m just a visitor but it’s depressing to never see any one smiling, NEVER.
A little more positive outlook in life would be nice.

I'm sorry that's your experience in Lakewood.
I live in Lakewood, I smile a lot, and so do lots of the people I encounter!
Do some not? Of course. Everywhere in the world.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:36 pm
happytobemom wrote:
I'm sorry that's your experience in Lakewood.
I live in Lakewood, I smile a lot, and so do lots of the people I encounter!
Do some not? Of course. Everywhere in the world.

I agree! I'm a very smiley person by nature, and almost everyone smiles back, except frum men, which I'm totally fine with. In Brooklyn however, I tend to get looks like "do I know you?" LOL! Doesn't bother me, probably just city mentality:) Same goes for Gut Shabbos.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:38 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Anyone mention boys high schools that actually care about providing a good English education so that my son doesn't have to dorm in NY?

Please!!! My son is in second grade. Hoping something good opens by then

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:07 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Every time I went to ice cream kids it was BOMBED so I dont think a shortage of customers was the issue.
I loved ice cream kids but I have younger kids. I loved that they had food.

We need more QUALITY babysitters and daycares that are not chs

How much would you be willing to pay for quality?
cuz without government funding, playgroups can't offer much other than the actual good care.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:17 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
More ppl with smiles
Sorry I know I’m just a visitor but it’s depressing to never see any one smiling, NEVER.
A little more positive outlook in life would be nice.
The Lakewood ppl are so smiley and friendly! Perhaps the people you see are also visitors? LOL
I'm a new resident here. I don't drive. Almost every time while I walk safely on the sidewalks on Cross st, on Chestnut, near Amazing Savings etc, there will be a wonderful smiling Lakewood driver to stop and offer me a ride. I am awed every single time anew!

I'll take this opportunity to thank you all for your selfless chessed!

I feel that Lakewood is not just a city full of Torah learning, but also full of kindhearted happy smiling ppl. Hope it rubs off on me.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries