Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
If you're a store owner, I'm genuinely trying to understand
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:27 pm
SuperWify wrote:
No. Most times (especially if it’s a seasonal item) the item is not sold again or sold at a discount….

The stores typically have an exchange policy of something like 3 days. And the item must be perfect condition tags on (as it should). Of course they’re reselling the item at full price. Why wouldn’t they??

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:30 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
There is a big difference between complaining about not getting a 1 year return policy (big box stores) and store owners arbitrarily making and changing rules.
When I shop at a small business I know I have a more limited window to return. But I dont expect the store owner to yell, treat me like garbage, not let me use credit I already spent, not honor their own advertisements...

Yep and there’s so much grey area between a year and a day return policy. Two days even would be a lot better. Many places are same day only

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
As a small business owner, I understand where the store owner is coming from.
There were times when my business wasn't doing well so I thought putting up a sale would bring new clients in. The problem is it brought in clients who had already booked me and told me they want the sale price. So I not only didn't make more money, I lost what I was going to make. It's hard because clients don't understand that behind the business is a person just trying to keep their business open. I don't blame the client either...I just learned to never go on sale or put up discounts.
Comparing a small business to Macy's or Gap is ridiculous! They're not going to feel a thing.
And to the poster who wanted to return clothing a year later? Really?

My mother works for a national chain clothing store and I can tell you they absolutely feel their returns. Why wouldn’t they?

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:46 pm
Shout out to Shell Station, I have never seen a store (even big chain ones) with as good of a return policy.
They let you return their items any time for store credit, no matter how late. I love to shop there for that reason.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:48 pm
This past year I went into a kids clothing store and bought 2 full price items totaling over 100$. I walked out of the store and before I even got to my car realized that I made a sizing mistake. I went back into the store. They didn’t have the size I needed so I said I would just return them. They refused to refund me and would only give me store credit.
I wanted to use the store credit recently at their sale and they wouldn’t let me.
Mind you, this store’s policy is that if you buy online and ship it back they will refund you. But if you buy in store they will only give you store credit, even same day. It’s absurd.

Once I use this store credit I’m not shopping there again.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:26 pm
And this is why anything I know that I have to try on myself or kids and not sure if I want to keep I will only get by a non Jewish store sorry but the Jewish stores are stealing from their own brothers and sisters don’t expect me to support that.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:32 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Just to add, I have a credit at a store from baby gifts I received. I wanted to use that credit to add to a baby group gift my work was sending but they refused. Outright nasty. I don’t have extra to pay for the group gift otherwise so now I’m stuck just not giving

my mom has a shop...and ill give an explanation.... how many times can a store work for your money?! scenario below....

someone came into the store for a gift, she got serviced for half hour suppose... you received it and came back with the gift and asked for a credit.... now if you forward that credit to a new gift....and if your friend doesn't like that gift....she will come back for a credit again.... this can go in circles for who knows how long.....
how many hours do you expect a store to service you for the same $100.

polices were put in place because obviously the stores were abused

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:41 pm
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
my mom has a shop...and ill give an explanation.... how many times can a store work for your money?! scenario below....

someone came into the store for a gift, she got serviced for half hour suppose... you received it and came back with the gift and asked for a credit.... now if you forward that credit to a new gift....and if your friend doesn't like that gift....she will come back for a credit again.... this can go in circles for who knows how long.....

What are the odds of that scenario happening? Not very high. I do agree some policies are necessary...but many are extremely restrictive and turns people off from shopping in that store. It's your store...make all the policies you want...but then don't go crying that people need to shop in Jewish owned businesses.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:45 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Again, if you don’t like it, don’t shop there. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Most items are marked up 50%. If the item was 51% off or more they are losing money 9/10 times.

What stores mark up 50%? Hahaha

I used to work at boutique in Flatbush, the designers generally give the mark up for those types because they want it to be consistent with like Saks selling same item. The factor in sales still making a profit. It was average 4.5 mark up 10 years ago. Meaning the manufacturer recced retail price was 4.5 times the cost to the store.

Make that simple: a store buys a top at $10 from manufacturers and sells it for $45. If they have a 50% off sale they still charge $22.50. Yes the store has various costs of business involved but rarely do they actually lose money on a sale.

gilamom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:57 pm
What about a gift card? That didn't take the sales lady much time to pick out, right? I had a gift card and saw a store was having 20% off the whole store, it stated no credits on the flyer so I figured a gift card is still ok. I purchased a vase for myself with the gift card, then I made another purchase that was a gift for someone else and needed a gift receipt and paid cash. Got home and noticed I'd paid full price for both so I called and was told the gift card is a credit so I couldn't have received 20% off. I don't agree but ok, what about my second purchase? I got the nastiest attitude about how it's all the same transaction. I never would have purchased the gift there if I wasn't getting 20% off, how is that not stealing? It was a totally separate purchase! And of course, no returns.
Don't start with me about supporting yidden when all I get is policies that don't make sense and I could've just purchased the second gift item online for cheaper but figured I'm there so why not buy it.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:24 am
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
This past year I went into a kids clothing store and bought 2 full price items totaling over 100$. I walked out of the store and before I even got to my car realized that I made a sizing mistake. I went back into the store. They didn’t have the size I needed so I said I would just return them. They refused to refund me and would only give me store credit.
I wanted to use the store credit recently at their sale and they wouldn’t let me.
Mind you, this store’s policy is that if you buy online and ship it back they will refund you. But if you buy in store they will only give you store credit, even same day. It’s absurd.

Once I use this store credit I’m not shopping there again.

So grateful Israel has laws that you get 48 hours for a full refund.

Lots of stores in Israel have a policy with ordering online you have 2-3 weeks to get a refund. I got used to the difference between online and in person and I don't buy unless I'm 99% sure it's the item I want.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:07 am
gilamom wrote:
What about a gift card? That didn't take the sales lady much time to pick out, right? I had a gift card and saw a store was having 20% off the whole store, it stated no credits on the flyer so I figured a gift card is still ok. I purchased a vase for myself with the gift card, then I made another purchase that was a gift for someone else and needed a gift receipt and paid cash. Got home and noticed I'd paid full price for both so I called and was told the gift card is a credit so I couldn't have received 20% off. I don't agree but ok, what about my second purchase? I got the nastiest attitude about how it's all the same transaction. I never would have purchased the gift there if I wasn't getting 20% off, how is that not stealing? It was a totally separate purchase! And of course, no returns.
Don't start with me about supporting yidden when all I get is policies that don't make sense and I could've just purchased the second gift item online for cheaper but figured I'm there so why not buy it.

What a terrible experience!
I would write an email to the owner/manager and complain.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:16 am
Stores should be fawning all over customers who come in with gift cards or credit slips. The store has been earning interest on the customer's money all this time, all without handing over a product. Seriously, this is beyond backwards.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:35 am
LovesHashem wrote:
So grateful Israel has laws that you get 48 hours for a full refund.

Lots of stores in Israel have a policy with ordering online you have 2-3 weeks to get a refund. I got used to the difference between online and in person and I don't buy unless I'm 99% sure it's the item I want.

I was just going to say this. Israeli customer service beginning to sound the most logical of all.

You have 48 hours (not including shabbat) to return an item in its original packaging to receive your money back on the spot. (End of season items are sometimes legally excluded).

You have 2 weeks to return for credit.

Credit is like money. You can use it any time, for any item, discounted or not. It used to be limited for a year but I believe they changed that. The problem is that the receipt ink wears off after a year anyway.

This is the law for all stores. No nonsense about not taking credit, and no nonsense with people returning items 7 months after purchase.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:55 am
I always thought customer care was a number one priority for Americans. Seems I was wrong.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:06 am
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
I was just going to say this. Israeli customer service beginning to sound the most logical of all.

You have 48 hours (not including shabbat) to return an item in its original packaging to receive your money back on the spot. (End of season items are sometimes legally excluded).

You have 2 weeks to return for credit.

Credit is like money. You can use it any time, for any item, discounted or not. It used to be limited for a year but I believe they changed that. The problem is that the receipt ink wears off after a year anyway.

This is the law for all stores. No nonsense about not taking credit, and no nonsense with people returning items 7 months after purchase.

I mean some store have longer policies. Most stores in the mall have exchanges/credit available for 30 days after a purchase.

Most of the times the credit has a number code - if you write it down it that's great. I know H&M and Zara have told me to copy the number down in case the ink fades. I think Zara's credit was good for 2 years even. (I only got it once a few years ago).

All terms and conditions are written on the receipt - I believe it might even be the law to do so.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:36 am
SuperWify wrote:
No. Most times (especially if it’s a seasonal item) the item is not sold again or sold at a discount….

Really? The heimishe stores literally hang them back up on the racks within that very same day.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:

And often people buy items without being serviced at all besides for the 3 minutes at the cash register. I dont usually ask for a lot of help at any store.
You have been earning interest on that initial payment and never gave goods for it. So it should be treated like cash. I can use it to buy anything.
Your excuse makes no sense. Cost of doing business is hiring someone to help out. Even if the store was empty that person would be there. You cant charge more because it is a busy time of day or season.
Also, you always resold the items returned. So you didn't lose money...

And with an attitude like that where you expect my money I wouldnt shop at your store.

cookiecutter

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:24 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I almost never shop at frum stores cuz live out of town and have no relatives in the business but just feel I need to give the other side. While everyone so far has listed legitimate concerns, I really do understand why they have to make blanket policies that seem unfair. Almost any time I am shopping in a frum store and overhear what customers are asking or complaining about, my eyebrows raise from shock. Unfortunately, and maybe it's because people have less boundaries cuz of close knit communities, customers often feel entitled and ask for completely inappropriate requests.

My husband, who is a therapist, feels the same way. Although he likes having frum clients cuz he gains more enjoyment when they accomplish, they often overstep boundaries and can be difficult clients in that aspect.
I'm not a store owner but I have a crazy idea that might work. What if they deny ridiculous requests but allow reasonable ones?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:30 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
And often people buy items without being serviced at all besides for the 3 minutes at the cash register. I dont usually ask for a lot of help at any store.
You have been earning interest on that initial payment and never gave goods for it. So it should be treated like cash. I can use it to buy anything.
Your excuse makes no sense. Cost of doing business is hiring someone to help out. Even if the store was empty that person would be there. You cant charge more because it is a busy time of day or season.
Also, you always resold the items returned. So you didn't lose money...

And with an attitude like that where you expect my money I wouldnt shop at your store.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever been serviced for 30 minutes at a store in my entire life. Only example I can possibly conjure up is when I was a kallah at the furniture store. Are most people getting serviced for 30 minutes every time they buy something???
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics