Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
A Potato Kugel Lady's thoughts on Mishloach Manos
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 11:13 pm
OP-

That is funny that you submitted to Ami, and I thought I was losing my mind, glad to know I'm still sane!

Also, what's your sesame chicken recipe please?

Coffee Addict

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 11:43 pm
Op, I was also confused reading your op Scratching Head because I just read it in the ami Friday night. I absolutely loved the article! It was thoroughly entertaining. I’m still confused though, you are the op of the potato kugel and cleaning lady threads??

Please clarify. I have so much work to do in the house now, but who cares about that? 🙈. What’s important is you should solve the mystery here 😂🥶🤢🤡. Thanks so much!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 11:58 pm
I read it this afternoon and couldn’t believe it!! Wow!! So you are a writer after all…

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:28 am
scintilla wrote:
Oh I knew I had read it before! I was getting so confused thinking did they accidentally reprint it? Great read OP, I enjoyed it all over again.

Same here, couldn't remember for the life of me where I read it, though

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:54 am
scintilla wrote:
Oh I knew I had read it before! I was getting so confused thinking did they accidentally reprint it? Great read OP, I enjoyed it all over again.

Ha, ha! Me too!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:57 am
For more clarity of how Mishloach Manos giving has changed over the years, I recommend this video from Waterbury yeshiva.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGHPAkHyOgI

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:11 am
Coffee Addict wrote:
Op, I was also confused reading your op Scratching Head because I just read it in the ami Friday night. I absolutely loved the article! It was thoroughly entertaining. I’m still confused though, you are the op of the potato kugel and cleaning lady threads??

Please clarify. I have so much work to do in the house now, but who cares about that? 🙈. What’s important is you should solve the mystery here 😂🥶🤢🤡. Thanks so much!!

Hi. In short, yes.

In long, I started a thread back in August that had to do with potato kugels.

Then a few months later, I wrote about my cleaning lady woes. Someone on that thread asked me if I was also the potato kugel lady, because the style reminded her of that thread.

I guess my style is very obvious, because a week later I wrote another story, and again someone asked if I was the potato kugel lady. I guess I can run (be anonymous) but I can't hide.

So, now I'm Mrs. Kugel. Hi

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:16 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
OP-

That is funny that you submitted to Ami, and I thought I was losing my mind, glad to know I'm still sane!

Also, what's your sesame chicken recipe please?

Cut the chicken cutlets into small pieces.
Dip each piece into beaten egg and then flour. (Optional, do this twice for extra crunch.)

Fry lightly, for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a separate pan and drain on paper towels.

Sauce:
In a sauce pan combine
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c water.
(Shake of ginger)

Cook until it bubbles. Add sesame seeds. Pour onto chicken and bake uncovered for about 20 minutes.

You can also bake the chicken cutlets if you want it to be a bit healthier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:32 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I read it this afternoon and couldn’t believe it!! Wow!! So you are a writer after all…

Anyone can submit anything they wrote to the magazine and if the magazine decides to publish it, they become a "writer."

As mentioned, over the many potato kugel threads, several people had suggested I submit my stories to one of the weekly magazines. I was very resistant because I tend to get very perfectionistic. I didn't want to spend time on revising and editing what I wrote. So someone suggested I just send it in as is. So I figured I had nothing to lose.

I copied and pasted this OP onto a Word document, changed a few minor things and sent it off. I promptly forgot all about it until I got an email a week later telling me that it had been accepted. So, yes, I guess that makes me a writer after all. Smile

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:39 am
Can you warn us ahead of time, so I'll know to get the Ami that week?
When is the Maria serial going to print?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:44 am
WitchKitty wrote:

IF I submit something else, and IF it gets accepted, and IF I know ahead of time, Bli neder, I'll try to pm you. I didn't actually know exactly when this was coming out. I figured it would be this year Purim, but I wasn't sure!

(And I don't think I will be submitting the Maria serial. )

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(And I don't think I will be submitting the Maria serial. )

Why not? You're scared she'll read it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:54 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Why not? You're scared she'll read it?

Haha.
Because I don't think it's much of a story.
I started that thread because I found myself in a weird situation where this cleaning lady had long overstayed her welcome, and when I finally gave her the pink slip, she sent me a text saying that she is coming to work anyway. I was a bit freaked out.

All the Imas were very helpful, everyone basically saying the same thing: don't answer her text, don't let her back into your house, she is trying to blackmail you.

From there, the thread kind of took on a life of its own, as I continued to post about my cleaning lady woes.

I would have to do alot of work figuring out what the point of such a submission would be, or at least, how to consolidate it into a manageable story. Too much work.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:00 am
WitchKitty wrote:

The Ami is still available in stores.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. In short, yes.

In long, I started a thread back in August that had to do with potato kugels.

Then a few months later, I wrote about my cleaning lady woes. Someone on that thread asked me if I was also the potato kugel lady, because the style reminded her of that thread.

I guess my style is very obvious, because a week later I wrote another story, and again someone asked if I was the potato kugel lady. I guess I can run (be anonymous) but I can't hide.

So, now I'm Mrs. Kugel. Hi

Op, thanks for clearing the air!!! Haha. You’re a amazing person and a amazing entertainer. I love that you’re so down to earth thus making you so relatable. I appreciate your authentic and simple character, nothin fancy. 👍😍

Definitely keep writing if it flows with you. I think we will all benefit ☺️😄

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:47 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The Ami is still available in stores.

Where you live Very Happy
Where I live the store gets one Ami at 4 pm Thursday. If you're there then, you can buy it. If another Anglo caught it before you, try next week.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:49 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
Where you live Very Happy
Where I live the store gets one Ami at 4 pm Thursday. If you're there then, you can buy it. If another Anglo caught it before you, try next week.

Woah. The pickings are slim in your town.
What about Mishpacha? Do they get more of those? I think I'll submit the next one to Mishpacha.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Woah. The pickings are slim in your town.
What about Mishpacha? Do they get more of those? I think I'll submit the next one to Mishpacha.

No, but they get 5 Binahs.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 11:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone can submit anything they wrote to the magazine and if the magazine decides to publish it, they become a "writer."

As mentioned, over the many potato kugel threads, several people had suggested I submit my stories to one of the weekly magazines. I was very resistant because I tend to get very perfectionistic. I didn't want to spend time on revising and editing what I wrote. So someone suggested I just send it in as is. So I figured I had nothing to lose.

I copied and pasted this OP onto a Word document, changed a few minor things and sent it off. I promptly forgot all about it until I got an email a week later telling me that it had been accepted. So, yes, I guess that makes me a writer after all. Smile

Did they pay you for the article being that it was on the internet already a month prior?

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 11:49 am
OP - cracking up. Thank you! Really enjoyed reading this thread.

For years, I pictured something fancy in my head for MM but ended up so frustrated because it didn’t come out anything like my imagination. I always quipped that I wished I could send a letcho cuz that’s what I’m a good at. This year, I made small challahs, 2 dips and wrapped it up nicely. It was a hit. The first time in 10 years where I was satisfied with the results and got raving reviews.

I always freeze potato kugel. I pop it in to the oven frozen on 350 for 2 hours to give it a head start then lower to 200 for several hours.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics