Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Men’s poker or other groups - Monsey
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:34 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Some of you here are so judgemental it’s disgusting.
Your Jewish holiness is absolutely radiating through my computer screen. I’m sure a Hashem appreciates your help immensely.
Shame on you.

And you are being pretty rude to other Jewish women.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:37 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
If you open a chumash and read a bit, you'll find it's pretty judgmental too.

Someone who gambles is pasul l'eidus, so just keep that in mind.

Poker doesn't equal gambling.
And as long as you're not 100% perfect in your avodas hashem and following halacha, then you shouldn't be preaching to others.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:38 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
op is inquiring about a weekly poker game with money = gambling.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:39 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
op is inquiring about a weekly poker game with money = gambling.

Not necessarily.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:40 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
And you are being pretty rude to other Jewish women.

No actually you are supposed to stand up for people and not sit idly by while you watch people attack others. Your mussar is very misplaced.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:44 pm
And as long as you're not 100% perfect in your avodas hashem and following halacha, then you shouldn't be preaching to others.

That's not how it works.

And poker is LITERALLY gambling.

amother
Buttercup

You don’t have to be perfect to call out something wrong. No one is perfect. You are supposed to stand up for the truth. Even if that means being judgmental. Especially on a public forum, where maybe there are people who don’t know the difference and would think it’s ok if no one said otherwise. That said, I try to keep Halacha as much as I can. If I mess up it’s a mistake, a bad judgement call, certainly not intentional. I definitely don’t incorporate something questionable into my lifestyle, and I’m sure I speak for most frum Jews.

amother
Skyblue

Not necessarily.

She said it specifically.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:46 pm
When I was a girl, there were many who wouldn't even allow using playing cards for innocent games such as war and spit.

Wow how the times have changed.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:49 pm
Can you take your fake holiness out of here? She didn’t ask your opinion about Halacha.

Halachah is not an opinion.

Are you jewish? Do you believe in following the torah at all?

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:04 pm

We all follow the Torah. It’s not your business to go around peddling the Torah to others and correcting them where they might be wrong.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks to all the people who said nice things or were supportive! Other “guys night out” ideas are welcome too. And to those who say that men arnt allowed to do anything but work, learn , and help their wives are men haters sorry.

I think many posters' issue is with the gambling, not with the chilling. I had asked about the time just because I was impressed that your husband learns that much in addition to working and still has time, it wasn't a judgement.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:10 pm
I bet some of the people who are so appalled at poker, watch movies, go to water parks, and do other not so kosher things. But hey if this is the thing you chose not to do, you must be the best jew out there.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:10 pm

Again, as long as you're not following every halacha in the Torah perfectly (which you don't), then stop preaching and go work on your own avodas hashem and halachic stringentcy.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
I bet some of the people who are so appalled at poker, watch movies, go to water parks, and do other not so kosher things. But hey if this is the thing you chose not to do, you must be the best jew out there.

Yup. Anything questionable that Chassidim do is immediately attacked here. Otherwise, it’s a “no judgement “ and “mind your own business” zone here.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:25 pm
Yup. Anything questionable that Chassidim do is immediately attacked here. Otherwise, it’s a “no judgement “ and “mind your own business” zone here.

Exactly. Chas vesholom someone points out that showing hair or not covering the hair is against halacha. Oh my the attacks that poster is subject to. But chassidim playing poker, there can't be a bigger sin.....

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:33 pm
Exactly. Chas vesholom someone points out that showing hair or not covering the hair is against halacha. Oh my the attacks that poster is subject to. But chassidim playing poker, there can't be a bigger sin.....

Actually, this is true (I cover all my hair so no skin in the game). It is halachically allowed to show some hair, and anyway, women are pasul l'eidus in any case, but a man who gambles is pasul l'eidus and I'm pretty sure it's halachically assur as well.

ETA: Not sure how this turned into a chassidish issue???? Are you implying that all Chassidim don't care about following halachah? I know plenty of Chassidim who I'm sure wouldn't gamble.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:42 pm
Actually, this is true (I cover all my hair so no skin in the game). It is halachically allowed to show some hair, and anyway, women are pasul l'eidus in any case, but a man who gambles is pasul l'eidus and I'm pretty sure it's halachically assur as well.

ETA: Not sure how this turned into a chassidish issue???? Are you implying that all Chassidim don't care about following halachah? I know plenty of Chassidim who I'm sure wouldn't gamble.

Showing hair is %100 against halacha.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:45 pm
Showing hair is %100 against halacha.

This is not true. Ask your Rabbi.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:49 pm
This is not true. Ask your Rabbi.

I did. Afew Rabbanim actually.
This just comes to show you that we all have different standards and ways. Poker with a set amount of small change doesn't mean that it's automatically assur. This was talked about at a shiur DH attended.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics