Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I think I’ll start intermittent fasting tomorrow
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:16 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I am doing intermittent fasting and have lost 16 lbs so far. It’s slow though.

But the amazing feeling of going to sleep and waking up lightweight is awesome.

On pesach I went to sleep right after the Seder and it just felt awful!

Did you see the weight loss soon after starting or did it take a while to kick in?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:30 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I am doing intermittent fasting and have lost 16 lbs so far. It’s slow though.

But the amazing feeling of going to sleep and waking up lightweight is awesome.

On pesach I went to sleep right after the Seder and it just felt awful!

16 lbs!! Wow! How long did it take and how much did you want to lose?

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:31 pm
BH it really worked for me.
I was eating really healthy and cutting down on portion size for a while without seeing results. AS soon as I began fasting I lost 1/2 - 1 lb weekly. It was amazing.
It felt intimidating at first, but I realized I really wasn't hungry at all. It also help teach me self control.

During fasting hours I only drank water, so don't know how it would go with coffee.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:38 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
BH it really worked for me.
I was eating really healthy and cutting down on portion size for a while without seeing results. AS soon as I began fasting I lost 1/2 - 1 lb weekly. It was amazing.
It felt intimidating at first, but I realized I really wasn't hungry at all. It also help teach me self control.

During fasting hours I only drank water, so don't know how it would go with coffee.

How did you manage on shabbos?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:09 pm
I plan on starting tomorrow..
I hope I can stick to it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:13 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
I plan on starting tomorrow..
I hope I can stick to it

Good luck!

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:46 pm
I do IF and really am liking it.

Some research I did said that women should take it slower when starting by starting off with a shower fasting time and then building it up slowly.

The research also said that it’s now better to do IF for 5 days and eat regular the other 2 days as this makes the fasting time work better on the fasting days. This helps with the Shabbos question - Friday and Shabbos no fasting and Sunday through Thursday fast (this is especially good on late Fridays/Shabbosim in the summer).

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:50 pm
I did IF in the shorter fridays , but now I skip on shabbos, but try to not eat before shabbos morning seuda. I do IF shabbos day starting at 7:00. No need to eat after just because it’s shabbos.

I’ve learned not to eat at simchas and parties at night, and it saves me so many calories!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:56 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I did IF in the shorter fridays , but now I skip on shabbos, but try to not eat before shabbos morning seuda. I do IF shabbos day starting at 7:00. No need to eat after just because it’s shabbos.

I’ve learned not to eat at simchas and parties at night, and it saves me so many calories!!

Well, there is a need to have hamotzie on Friday night. It obviously doesn’t have to be a few slices of challah…

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
How did you manage on shabbos?

I wasn't so careful about counting the exact hours on Friday and Shabbos. I wouldn't nosh after the night meal, and then I didn't eat anything before the shabbos lunch meal (which we normally start around 12:00).
Shalosh seudos doesn't have to be eaten late, but I do try to have something small for melava malka so that's for sure going to be a cheat. Definitely works out better on winter Shabbosim!

I also cheated when I had a simcha and ate there, regardless of how late. For me, getting dressed and out of the house is busy enough. I don't also have time to cook and eat dinner before the simcha.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Well, there is a need to have hamotzie on Friday night. It obviously doesn’t have to be a few slices of challah…

I guess I wasn’t clear.
I do eat the night seuda meaning I skip IF. But I try to stop halfway through so there’s tie, between eating and bedtime…
But I was referring to shabbos day, I eat shalosh seudas earlier.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:08 am
Today I’m very hungry.
It’s hard that I wake up so early. More awake hours without eating…
Today I’m very tired… I have a headache and I’m hungry.
I’m drinking my coffee. I guess I’ll drink a lot of water.
Hope I make it till 12.

One thing that motivates me is that last year this time I was 8 pounds less!!! That’s a lot to gain in a year!
Also, a few years ago I made my oldest son’s bar mitzvah. I was 10 lbs less than I am now (and wished I would be thinner at the time). When I make my next sons bar mitzvah in 2 years, what will I look like if I don’t do something about it now??
The thought of gaining and gaining some more is very depressing.
So I will try really hard now even if I just feel like eating lots of good food…

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:26 am
You wake up early and go to sleep early?
Maybe change your fast to 6:00 pm to 10: am

Jalapeño

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:15 am
I agree with the above poster, I think you should shift your hours if you wake up that hungry. Try starting your fast earlier
Can you eat an early dinner?
It also might help you to start with a shorter fast window and then slowly increase.

I find beverages really help. I do coffee, seltzer, lemon water, and a lot of herbal teas on either end of the fast.

I love IF and it really works well for me, but my issue was that I always snacked unhealthily after dinner and I don't like to eat first thing in the morning anyway.

I've also found that increasing my fiber intake while in eating period helps as well.

ETA: also I try not to stress about shabbos, but I do generally not eat shabbos morning until lunch so I at least have a short fast period (depending on how late dinner goes!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:48 am
doodlesmom wrote:
You wake up early and go to sleep early?
Maybe change your fast to 6:00 pm to 10: am

No, I don’t usually go to sleep early but I do wake up early.
I’ll try to stop eating at 7 tonight so fast will be over at 11
Maybe I’ll try to be careful over shabbos without completely sticking with it. I think that would make it more manageable for me.
It should help me if I’m sticking with IF the rest of the week I hope.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 9:54 am
I am also doing Intermittent fasting and it has worked very well for me bh when no other diet has.

My eating window is 12-8.
About shabbos, after the night seuda I don't eat until the day seuda. After shaleshudos, I don't eat until sunday noon. For melava malka I am yotzei with hot tea.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 11:26 am
amother Garnet wrote:
I am also doing Intermittent fasting and it has worked very well for me bh when no other diet has.

My eating window is 12-8.
About shabbos, after the night seuda I don't eat until the day seuda. After shaleshudos, I don't eat until sunday noon. For melava malka I am yotzei with hot tea.

How long have you been doing it and how much have you lost?
Are you limiting what you eat from 12-8?
So on Friday night you will eat until 9-10pm when shabbos begins later?

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 11:51 am
amother OP wrote:

I actually lost about 50 lb bh, over the span of about 1.5 years. I did have some plateaus in the middle where I stayed the same weight for a while.

Then I got pregnant and bh delivered and tried to restart, but with my baby's needs and my other kids needs, there was no way I was able to get to eating supper by 8 (or 9 or 10 very often!)

Now my baby is a few months older and I am restarting.

Yes, I only eat from 12-8. On random days if I can finish eating earlier, I try to do so to get an extra hour of benefit in.

on Fri nite I eat until the seuda is over and just fast whatever is left (e.g 10pm to noon)

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 8:32 pm
I did last week and it felt amazing the weekend I wasn’t intentional about it so I think that’s why it didn’t work. I’m trying to do this whole week. Good luck to everyone whose doing it

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:37 am
amother OP wrote:

Now I'm remembering that what I used to do on Fridays (before getting preg) was start eating a little later on Friday, so that my eating window was 8 hours. So if the night seudah would end at 10, I would try to wait until 2 to start eating.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise