Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler fracture

miami85

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 9:30 am
After much "klering" over the past week, it seems my 2 yr old has a "toddler fracture"/hairline in her leg. So far my pediatrician hasn't recommended doing anything for it and just keep "doing what we're doing"--ibuprofen and allowing her to bear weight as recommended. This was on Friday, only after shabbos did I have a chance to research this more and I'm seeing that it can take several weeks to heal. Someone I know recommended a walking boot but my pediatrician didn't, should I be asking for one?

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 9:31 am
Did you do any imaging ? I'd go to an orthopedist for guidance.

bunchagirlies

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 9:53 am
I'd do a boot just for pain relief- why put toddler through pain? I don't believe there's any downside. ask the ped. or really, you should be seeing an orthopedist for this.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 9:56 am
BTDT first, there is a very strong downside to the boot because it is heavy and at this age that heavy weight on one side can cause structural damage. OP go to a pediatric orthopedist for a second opinion. This is not primary care.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 10:21 am
Def go see ped ortho

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 10:24 am
miami85 wrote:
After much "klering" over the past week, it seems my 2 yr old has a "toddler fracture"/hairline in her leg. So far my pediatrician hasn't recommended doing anything for it and just keep "doing what we're doing"--ibuprofen and allowing her to bear weight as recommended. This was on Friday, only after shabbos did I have a chance to research this more and I'm seeing that it can take several weeks to heal. Someone I know recommended a walking boot but my pediatrician didn't, should I be asking for one?

At this point it's probably starting to heal on its own and they won't do anything . Speaking from experience

miami85

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 11:14 am
It's kind of an all-in-one dr's office. They took x-rays and there was a difference of opinion between the pediatrician and the radiologist (the pediatrician ended up being right). I just want her to be more mobile and not just crawling everywhere.

balance

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 11:58 am
She'll start walking again when she's ready. Don't worry about it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:16 pm
Bumping this up. My toddler fell a few weeks ago and hurt his foot. An xray was done the next day and the doctor did not see anything. His limp never fully went away. I went to an orthopedist who discovered after his examination that it was most likely a toddler fracture. The xray did not show anything. He said it most likely healed. The past few days he is limping really badly and is complaining that it's hard for him to walk. Can this still be something time will heal or should I see another doctor?

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:32 am
Did the limp ever go away? If you see a significant regression I recommend seeing a doctor. Also, hip pain in toddlers may be a significant concern.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:51 am
It’ll heal on its own. It takes a few weeks, just be easy on the foot, not to strain it or cause more damage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics