Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why are air conditioners so expensive!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:42 am
Op, I have a few air conditioners we aren’t using. They aren’t new and might be a bit noisy but they cool the room. Our house has central air conditioning and it was broken for a few years so we put in window units. We recently fixed our central air so now we have lots of air conditioners sitting in the garage.
Let me know if you have a way of getting them from my house in lakewood to your house in queens. I think on a good day it takes 2 hours each way but it might be worth it for you.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what about at night?

her hair is plastered to her neck I feel so bad that I cant provide her with a nice cool room. I wish finances didnt make me a bad mother

As others have said your baby is fine and you are not a bad mother. Shvitzy hair does not hurt her. Wipe her with a wet wash cloth and keep her hydrated and she will be perfectly fine.

I'm not trying to minimize how uncomfortable YOU are!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:36 am
Here’s one that’s a drop less than what you saw and it can be delivered by tomorrow

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R.....psc=1

I think you should buy one and then wait for Memorial Day sales coming up

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are so poor.
I am drowning.
My apartment is shmoiling hot. No AC. Cant afford window units for another month until my next paycheck

My baby is sweating at night
I want to cry. I hate being poor.

Rant over.

Look on Google for your local Freecycle group where you ask that you need Ac and people actually give away I got many things from freecycle

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:00 am
As others have posted, get one right away if you can afford it and put it in one room.

I remember when my parents brought home the air conditioner and we all spent the whole day in the room with a/c.

At night it generally gets a bit cooler and so with fans and open windows it can be bearable. You can do stuff like have the fan blow over a large bowl of ice if you don't have cross ventilation to bring in the cooler night air.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:25 am
I just want to reiterate what others are saying.
You don't have to go from 0 air conditioners to 3.
Especially if you can't afford it and are outting it on CC and going indo debt for it.
We have one ac, I have a $30 fan in my kids room, I wouldn't even want an ac there for fear of making them sick, but it's definitely not a must, and definitely not worth going into debt for.

You need one AC, and you go into that room when the rest of the house gets too hot.

How are you going to get out if debt with all these "musts".
One air conditioner, yes, 3? No.
The interest on these purchases will make your air conditioners cost $1000 by the time your done paying them off, if your lucky.

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:43 am
OP, I have one only and it made a difference in the entire house.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:54 am
How are you going to afford the electric bill?
Please keep this in mind when running the ac
If you do end up getting 1/2/3 get timers so that the ac can go off and only on during the hottest part of the day
I know ppl in house that electric bills go from $70 to $500

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:59 am
Buy one ac and 2 fans
You will feel so much better

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:04 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
If you do end up getting 1/2/3 get timers so that the ac can go off and only on during the hottest part of the day

That's my problem. I could afford the one off expense of a unit, but I'm scared of the running costs. I have a fan which helps most of the time, but on the hottest days isn't much use.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:27 am
Look on imzist.com. It's a website with free giveaways and stuff for sale. I looked yesterday and there were some AC's that were being given away for free. Even if you have to travel to pick it up, it's cheaper than buying new.

I agree with other posters that you should not run 3 AC's. Your electric bill will skyrocket. Keep one on, and make sure all the doors to the other rooms are open so the air can circulate. Also, maybe have your baby sleep in your bedroom over the summer (if that works, I know some babies don't sleep well in their parent"s room) so you are running only 1 AC at night. And always keep them on economy/energy saver.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:29 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:

I live in a big house and it goes from $150 to $400 for 2 months
Not $70 to $500

jfk92

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:34 am
How much can you spend on one. I can probably help you find a used one. I have used ones. They are loud and not fancy but they do the job bh

Amarante

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:09 am
Some of the advice to save money on electric bills is wrong

Using an old air conditioner is generally more expensive because newer appliances are more energy efficient. Also it is like there is an issue of some kind with an older air conditioner. When I got my new refrigerator my electric bill went down significantly.

You buy an air conditioner based on the cubic footage of the space you are cooling. If you keep the doors open and try to use a unit to cool a larger space the air conditioner won’t work properly and will run all the time and waste money. I grew up without central air and my father deliberately closed off certain rooms with plastic thst didn’t have doors so the units only cooled the areas that we were in.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, May 23 2022, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:13 am
Amarante wrote:
Some of the advice to save money on electric bills is wrong

Using an old air conditioner is generally more expensive because newer appliances are more energy efficient. Also it is like there is an issue of some kind with an older air conditioner. When I got my new refrigerator my electric bill went down significantly.

You buy an air conditioner based on the square footage of the space you are cooling. If you keep the doors open and try to use a unit to cool a larger space the air conditioner won’t work properly and will run all the time and waste money. I grew up without central air and my father deliberately closed off certain rooms with plastic thst didn’t have doors so the units only cooled the areas that we were in.

This is an Excellent point

groovy1224

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:14 am
OP check if you are eligible for a free one:

https://access.nyc.gov/program.....ility

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:25 am
groovy1224 wrote:
OP check if you are eligible for a free one:

https://access.nyc.gov/program.....ility

This.

There's a program now and you will likely be eligible to get brand new free air conditioners!

asmileaday

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:31 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Op, I have a few air conditioners we aren’t using. They aren’t new and might be a bit noisy but they cool the room. Our house has central air conditioning and it was broken for a few years so we put in window units. We recently fixed our central air so now we have lots of air conditioners sitting in the garage.
Let me know if you have a way of getting them from my house in lakewood to your house in queens. I think on a good day it takes 2 hours each way but it might be worth it for you.

This is very thoughtful of you.
There are many messenger services that deliver packages from lakewood to Brooklyn. Maybe op can find one, it's cheaper to pay $25 for a messenger than gas and toll plus travel time.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:42 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I live in a big house and it goes from $150 to $400 for 2 months
Not $70 to $500

Think about it the math works itself out
I only ah $70 during winter months you are paying more than double
House is 3000 sq ft.

NewYorkgal31

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are so poor.
I am drowning.
My apartment is shmoiling hot. No AC. Cant afford window units for another month until my next paycheck

My baby is sweating at night
I want to cry. I hate being poor.

Rant over.

Where are you located? I have 2 that I can give away in Brooklyn
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics