Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami serial by Riva Pomerantz Take 2
  Previous  1  2  3  40  41  42

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 11:31 pm

I was confused a few weeks back when Aryeh was at his oh-forgot-to-mention-you-have-a-wife-and-child-to-consider-therapist and Miri comes knocking to announce, for no realistic reason other than desperation to keep her marriage because her friend told her the whole situation is all her own fault, that he was the best thing since sliced bread, because that episode ended with the therapist grinning proudly and saying (something like), "It's a good time to... Take Two!"

That sounded like an ending -- a rushed and inconclusive one, but bringing out the meaning of the title.
But then it said, "to be continued."

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 11:59 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:

I was confused a few weeks back when Aryeh was at his oh-forgot-to-mention-you-have-a-wife-and-child-to-consider-therapist and Miri comes knocking to announce, for no realistic reason other than desperation to keep her marriage because her friend told her the whole situation is all her own fault, that he was the best thing since sliced bread, because that episode ended with the therapist grinning proudly and saying (something like), "It's a good time to... Take Two!"

That sounded like an ending -- a rushed and inconclusive one, but bringing out the meaning of the title.
But then it said, "to be continued."

Can anyone explain the title? And how it relates to the story?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 12:14 am
I think its written a few months in advance. Unfortunately one of the men that died in the tragedy with the 2 men (from Cleveland) in private plane crash this past February was Reva’s brother in law (her younger sister’s husband). I know she ran to Cleveland when it happened and I think that’s why the story was rushed. It started out well but since the tragedy it’s gotten worse by the week. I’m guessing that’s why. It’s understandable, but not a great story. She should have just said family emergency will resume story in a few months… but who could think with such a shocking devastating tragedy?

koalamum

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 12:22 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Can anyone explain the title? And how it relates to the story?

When they film a movie and the scene didn’t really come out the way it was supposed to, then the directors say “cut” and then Take Two. Kind of like Second Chance. So this marriage, between Aryeh and Miri, which was going down the drain seemed to have a slight chance of improvement., Then the therapist thought maybe there was hope to start afresh so he said Take Two…

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 12:38 am
koalamum wrote:
When they film a movie and the scene didn’t really come out the way it was supposed to, then the directors say “cut” and then Take Two. Kind of like Second Chance. So this marriage, between Aryeh and Miri, which was going down the drain seemed to have a slight chance of improvement., Then the therapist thought maybe there was hope to start afresh so he said Take Two…

Oh, thanks for explaining!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 10:05 am
She actually has a follow up. I didn’t read it yes but I think she’s just talking about the characters and how she created them/why

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 10:43 am
Quote:
I think its written a few months in advance. Unfortunately one of the men that died in the tragedy with the 2 men (from Cleveland) in private plane crash this past February was Reva’s brother in law (her younger sister’s husband). I know she ran to Cleveland when it happened and I think that’s why the story was rushed. It started out well but since the tragedy it’s gotten worse by the week. I’m guessing that’s why. It’s understandable, but not a great story. She should have just said family emergency will resume story in a few months… but who could think with such a shocking devastating tragedy?

Wow, right, that is something to consider. Thanks for adding that context. Like you said, understandable, but...
Maybe if this gets made into a book it can be tightened up a little.

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 10:48 am
BDE that is so sad

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 12:30 pm
Sadly the end was incredibly unrealistic. Two such dysfunctional people with personality disorders and deeply embedded issues don't just make up and live happily ever after.
My biggest question throughout the running of the serial was how on planet earth Miri's family never knew about the estranged grandmother. I thought that when you have a child in shidduchim you investigate the other side of the family like the FBI. There was an estranged grandmother in the picture living literally in the same neighborhood and they didn't know???
Did Miri think the grandparents were dead?
I found that so confusing.
I'm sorry I'm harsh and critical, I hate to do this to authors bc I know it's hurtful. But it's a genuine question about teh story.

ahuvaahuva

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 11:09 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I recently heard this story from a very reliable Rav - who named the Gadol and the man in the story but I'm not sure I remember the details perfectly so I'll leave out names
It was Erev Shabbos in a home in Yerushalayim and the MIL arrived. A certain Gadol was there who only spoke Yiddish the MIL only spoke Hebrew so he told another young man (who later became famous) tell the MIL the satan comes to create strife in Shalom Bayis - and tell her to leave immediately. The young man said - am I supposed to tell her that?? And the Gadol said - yes! So he said exactly what the Gadol told him to say and the MIL left.

And that is how a MIL who is destroying a couple's SB should be treated.

Hi just randomly going through this chat.
Would love to know if you could find out names! Even if the rav who shared it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 11:15 pm
Is a mil the Satan? LOL
Is she ever allowed to visit.?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 12:13 am
Riva ended it with a really good follow up. Definitely worth the read and explained it all. This story was very well written. Love the topics she touched upon. Hope we get another good serial after this.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 12:23 am
amother Peach wrote:
Riva ended it with a really good follow up. Definitely worth the read and explained it all. This story was very well written. Love the topics she touched upon. Hope we get another good serial after this.

What a shame though that she had to bring in broken ties. Ruined it for me.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 1:59 am
ahuvaahuva wrote:
Hi just randomly going through this chat.
Would love to know if you could find out names! Even if the rav who shared it.

Randomly I opened this thread, I could find out..will try to ask in the next day or two, I can't tell you the name of the Rav who shared it but I can find out who the Rav and bachur in the story were

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 2:04 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
Is a mil the Satan? LOL

In this story yes, it's many years before people were becoming self aware, before therapy and parental alienation was so popular, a mil can yield a lot of power

ahuvaahuva

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 6:22 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
Is a mil the Satan? LOL

She doesn't say the context. It could be she was busy criticizing.

And it could be she had specifically been told NOT to come Friday afternoons eg.

I've had family members who refuse to accept a "no" including very invasive acts.

ahuvaahuva

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 6:23 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Randomly I opened this thread, I could find out..will try to ask in the next day or two, I can't tell you the name of the Rav who shared it but I can find out who the Rav and bachur in the story were

Thank you

birdie1

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 10:12 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Sadly the end was incredibly unrealistic. Two such dysfunctional people with personality disorders and deeply embedded issues don't just make up and live happily ever after.
My biggest question throughout the running of the serial was how on planet earth Miri's family never knew about the estranged grandmother. I thought that when you have a child in shidduchim you investigate the other side of the family like the FBI. There was an estranged grandmother in the picture living literally in the same neighborhood and they didn't know???
Did Miri think the grandparents were dead?
I found that so confusing.
I'm sorry I'm harsh and critical, I hate to do this to authors bc I know it's hurtful. But it's a genuine question about teh story.

I wondered the same. How is it possible that nobody told Miris family about Mrs T?
Page 42 of 42   Previous  1  2  3  40  41  42 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room