Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Women's gathering
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 14  15  16  Next

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:09 pm
Rubies wrote:
Do you have a child currently enrolled in a Williamsburg school?
That might explain it.

Yes. 3 of them.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:10 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Well this was my experience.
I decided to put a filter on my phone. My kids were not yet in schools.
I walk in and the first question they ask me is where does my husband daven.
They asked me if I work which I didn't.
When I asked them how the filter works, they said everything will be locked. The browser and all apps.
Every single app I need open will need a letter from our dayan that he was Mattir for parnasah.
They would not remove the filter once it would be installed.

I walked out of there without a filter.

That's all they accomplished.

Try geder. Bh never had any problem with them.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:10 pm
Well this was my experience.
I decided to put a filter on my phone. My kids were not yet in schools.
I walk in and the first question they ask me is where does my husband daven.
They asked me if I work which I didn't.
When I asked them how the filter works, they said everything will be locked. The browser and all apps.
Every single app I need open will need a letter from our dayan that he was Mattir for parnasah.
They would not remove the filter once it would be installed.

I walked out of there without a filter.

That's all they accomplished.

My experience was very different.
I was asked about a bunch of categories which I need open or blocked, other than that they didn’t block any sites. I did not have to ask for specific sites to be opened (though sometimes I do come across a blocked page based on key words etc).
They did tell me that YouTube Instagram and Twitter are always blocked, and if I do need it I need to call their vaad to discuss. Somehow Instagram stayed open, and I didn’t feel the need to go to lengths to open the others.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:11 pm
keym wrote:
Did you go to TAG because you wanted to or because the school or Moised said that you need to be TAG approved in order for registration to be completed?
In my experience in Lakewood there's a huge difference in experience.

A combination of both. The school required a filter, and I felt it was the right thing to do. They did whatever I asked for, no questions asked. But I see others had different experiences and I don't want to discount that.

Rubies

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:13 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
I was asked about a bunch of categories which I need open or blocked, other than that they didn’t block any sites. I did not have to ask for specific sites to be opened (though sometimes I do come across a blocked page based on key words etc).
They did tell me that YouTube Instagram and Twitter are always blocked, and if I do need it I need to call their vaad to discuss. Somehow Instagram stayed open, and I didn’t feel the need to go to lengths to open the others.

Do you know of a business that has a vaad? I don't.

Rubies

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:16 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
A combination of both. The school required a filter, and I felt it was the right thing to do. They did whatever I asked for, no questions asked. But I see others had different experiences and I don't want to discount that.

A heimish Williamsburg school? They require a filter - any filter and level is up to your discretion?
I'm very curious which school that is?

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:17 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I'm in Lakewood. Mesivtas are small. They don't each make standards. The Roshei Mesivta are usually learned, warm men who are not the most technologically savvy.
TAG makes a gathering each year and offers to the Roshei Mesivta a deal. Sign with us to approve your incoming students internet access and level. We have multiple Yeshivos in the area and we know/understand the standard and level that your yeshiva wants.
The yeshiva agrees and sends out a letter to all their parents, signed by 20 Roshei Mesivta that they're all going through a specific organization. Machanecha Kadosh/Lanu ulvaneinu/Hineni whatever.
The Roshei Mesivta don't get involved in whether shopping at Macy's.com or Landsend.com is acceptable or not. Whether DIY YouTube is ok versus watching Sports. They leave those decisions to TAG and their (anonymous) Gedolim.
My schools have no idea what filter I have, what level. They just know that TAG approved it.

My oldest will be in 8th grade next year, I didn't realize this was part of the mesivta process. Am I naive if I ask if the mesivtas accept the fact that I have a filter without details? And if TAG will just signoff on my filter or verify the settings?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:18 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
My oldest will be in 8th grade next year, I didn't realize this was part of the mesivta process. Am I naive if I ask if the mesivtas accept the fact that I have a filter without details? And if TAG will just signoff on my filter or verify the settings?

The klal is to ask their requirements without saying what you have.
Like that if you need to play around it will be on your terms and not theirs.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:20 pm
I installed my filter in the Williamsburg office. Doesn't get more extreme than that. I gave them a written list of everything I need open and they followed my list to the letter. That includes YouTube, news sites, all types of shopping (without blurring any pictures), amazon (including prime video), Spotify, and different categories of sites that I visit often. I was never denied a request to have anything opened. I wonder why some posters had such different experiences than others.

One correction. YouTube was originally blocked but they opened it for me when I told them I needed it for business, which I do.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:22 pm
Rubies wrote:
A heimish Williamsburg school? They require a filter - any filter and level is up to your discretion?

We send to viznitz bp. They have their own filter under TAG. Dh needs the viznitz filter otherwise it's considered as if he has no filter. It's ridiculous beyond.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:23 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:

I know a lot of ppl from Williamsburg go to tag in Flatbush to do this, because tag in Williamsburg won't do this for them.
It sounds like you lucked out.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:24 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
We send to viznitz bp. They have their own filter under TAG. Dh needs the viznitz filter otherwise it's considered as if he has no filter. It's ridiculous beyond.

So you got your filter in Williamsburg or Boro Park?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:25 pm
Rubies wrote:

Yes, typical heimish schools. I don't feel comfortable sharing which ones. Just want to clarify that what I wrote above was true when I originally enrolled my kids. It's been 3 years since I enrolled a kid in kindergarten so it may have changed.

Rubies

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:29 pm
Yes, typical heimish schools. I don't feel comfortable sharing which ones. Just want to clarify that what I wrote above was true when I originally enrolled my kids. It's been 3 years since I enrolled a kid in kindergarten so it may have changed.

Your experience is unique. I'm wondering if there's another factor you're not considering like money or status but it's rude to ask. Very Happy

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:39 pm
Rubies wrote:
Your experience is unique. I'm wondering if there's another factor you're not considering like money or status but it's rude to ask. Very Happy

The difference might be more about what kind of device.
My story was with a smartphone.
Hers could have been with an iPad or computer.

I've never heard of anyone being able to choose how to filter a smartphone with Williamsburg filtering places associated with Williamsburg mosdes.

Also I think we're confusing 3 different posters here.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:42 pm
Rubies wrote:
Smile

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:44 pm
The klal is to ask their requirements without saying what you have.
Like that if you need to play around it will be on your terms and not theirs.

Ask TAG or the mesivta what the requirements are?
And then make sure the filter fits the requirements before coming in?
(and if necessary to change later, would that be a problem? I don't need youtube daily but need it for work training pretty regularly)

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:44 pm
Rubies wrote:

You really love your conspiracies, don't you?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:48 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Ask TAG or the mesivta what the requirements are?
And then make sure the filter fits the requirements before coming in?
(and if necessary to change later, would that be a problem? I don't need youtube daily but need it for work training pretty regularly)

Changing for work requirements is usually ok for a specific amount of time.
YouTube for work requirements will likely be able to worked with. YouTube for enjoyment or how to is more problematic.

I wonder if those who had positive experiences, how much of your requirements are work-related? I'd I'ma TAG is way more lenient with a business owner who needs Instagram, rather than a consumer who wants Instagram.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:49 pm
Rubies wrote:

Lol no. I'm sorry my experience doesn't fit your narrative. Again, I'm not sure how it works these days, I guess I will report back when I enroll my toddler.
Page 12 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational