Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Women's gathering
  Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:16 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Yes, I am right now typing on the internet and on social media. For precisely that reason, I and many others, especially those on here right now, could use chizuk and a reminder of our values and what exactly is the emes regarding this very grey topic of internet usage. Those who are completely unconnected with and have no exposure to the net can also use strengthening in this area- but me and you and us all here- how much more so.
A self-professed real and honest person such as yourself, who so detests hypocrisy, would (or should) at least be open to hearing about what may just ring true. And I don't know if anyone will convince you, or even wish to convince you, to relinquish your very little internet access. But maybe they will bring some other important points to the forefront of our attention.

I've heard Faigie Zelcer of Penimi too and I think her words would really resonate.
Also, Imamother isn't quite the same as FB and Insta etc., is it?

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:55 pm
Sounds so inspiring! would love to go

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:39 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Yes, I am right now typing on the internet and on social media. For precisely that reason, I and many others, especially those on here right now, could use chizuk and a reminder of our values and what exactly is the emes regarding this very grey topic of internet usage. Those who are completely unconnected with and have no exposure to the net can also use strengthening in this area- but me and you and us all here- how much more so.
A self-professed real and honest person such as yourself, who so detests hypocrisy, would (or should) at least be open to hearing about what may just ring true. And I don't know if anyone will convince you, or even wish to convince you, to relinquish your very little internet access. But maybe they will bring some other important points to the forefront of our attention.

AND WHY DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR SPEECHES TO CURB YOUR INTERNET USE? WHOEVER, WANTS TO SPEND LESS TIME ON SMARTPHONE OR INTERNET , CAN AND SHOULD STOP NOW.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 12:41 am
I think it's for all women regardless of their tech savviness/use. Everyone on their own level can be inspired to improve. It doesn't sound like it's a mussar-y internet event; more like an inspirational evening centered around bettering ourselves with technology use. And let's face it, many of us would love to be encouraged to hold onto stronger standards.
Also, I think the 40,000 is both events together, the stadium only holds 20k. It looks like 1 big event being split into Yiddish & English.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 12:56 am
benny wrote:
I would actually love to go. I would love to be inspired to get the push to upgrade my life regarding technology. Not sure I’ll be able to hack going so I hope there will be a hookup or recording available. I’m definitely going to try to make it happen.

It would be funny if there was a zoom link.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:51 am
In the past when Rebbetzin tarshish spoke there were call in numbers.
Even if I havent taken the actions spoken about she inspires me to make small changes snd be introspective if what I want for my home, dh and kids and me.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:51 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
AND WHY DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR SPEECHES TO CURB YOUR INTERNET USE? WHOEVER, WANTS TO SPEND LESS TIME ON SMARTPHONE OR INTERNET , CAN AND SHOULD STOP NOW.

If only it were so easy. I wish

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:33 am
I didn't see any call-in numbers this time; speeches will probably be available on Inspire by Wire & the Hineini Hotline after the event.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:51 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

And why should women who aren't on any of this go either? It's to show that we're all in this together. You may do things differently than I do but we're all trying to make thought out decisions.

And based on what I've seen from initiatives like Linked Up through Mekimi, it's not about disconnecting this or spending less time on that (not that there's anything wrong with that) as much as living mindfully.

keym

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:39 am
PinkFridge wrote:
And why should women who aren't on any of this go either? It's to show that we're all in this together. You may do things differently than I do but we're all trying to make thought out decisions.

And based on what I've seen from initiatives like Linked Up through Mekimi, it's not about disconnecting this or spending less time on that (not that there's anything wrong with that) as much as living mindfully.

Here's the thing that bothers me about this event and the premise.
I'm gathering my thoughts so I'm sorry if I'm less coherent.
My husband brought home a brochure from shul. At least it's one of the brochures and ads in the yeshivish shuls in Lakewood.
It was written Q&A with the director of TAG or something in strong absolutes.
The gedoilei Yisroel said that internet besides for work is 100% Assur.
Q: but what about all the good. The Shiurim? The Torah?
A: nevertheless the Gedolim decreed and it's assur.
Q: what about with a good filter
A: well a filter is better than no filter but the ultimate goal should be no internet at all...
Etc

I know that this isn't the brochure in other communities. And because of that, likely, this won't be the tone of the event.
But it makes me uncomfortable.
There feels like an agenda of some sort.

And I'm coming from a very yeshivish perspective. My kids don't have any internet access at all. I barely allow them to watch Uncle Moishy DVDs. I'm not on Instagram or Twitter or even Whatsapp chats and I have a very strong filter.

But the absolutes and bait and switch make me very uncomfortable.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:46 am
At the end of the day this is organized by extremists who have no internet access.

It feels completely unrelateable to me.

Like when they talk about the boss that doesn't use whatsapp but never about workers who have no choice.
Not everyone is self employed.

They don't even know what they are talking about.

They hock against status and stuff when the issue is always who your friends are.
They just end up sounding ignorant.

Rubies

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:46 am
keym wrote:
Here's the thing that bothers me about this event and the premise.
I'm gathering my thoughts so I'm sorry if I'm less coherent.
My husband brought home a brochure from shul. At least it's one of the brochures and ads in the yeshivish shuls in Lakewood.
It was written Q&A with the director of TAG or something in strong absolutes.
The gedoilei Yisroel said that internet besides for work is 100% Assur.
Q: but what about all the good. The Shiurim? The Torah?
A: nevertheless the Gedolim decreed and it's assur.
Q: what about with a good filter
A: well a filter is better than no filter but the ultimate goal should be no internet at all...
Etc

I know that this isn't the brochure in other communities. And because of that, likely, this won't be the tone of the event.
But it makes me uncomfortable.
There feels like an agenda of some sort.

And I'm coming from a very yeshivish perspective. My kids don't have any internet access at all. I barely allow them to watch Uncle Moishy DVDs. I'm not on Instagram or Twitter or even Whatsapp chats and I have a very strong filter.

But the absolutes and bait and switch make me very uncomfortable.

As it should.

Though the concept of the internet and its dangers, needs awareness and protection there's a lot of underhandedness in the way its actually handled.

Why is there a monopoly on filters?
Why does an outsider have the ability to check your filter level?
Why is your browsing activity not considered private under Rabeinu Gershom's letter privacy?
Where is the same trust given to taharas hamishpachah and shabbos, when it comes to this?

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:51 am
@KeyM

All valid points. I saw the same Q&A about the event in Lakewood- it was about the actual event itself, not about internet hashkafa. It didn't mention any of your points about internet being 100% assur for anything not work-related.
Which flyer are you referring to?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:53 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
@KeyM

All valid points. I saw the same Q&A about the event in Lakewood- it was about the actual event itself, not about internet hashkafa. It didn't mention any of your points about internet being 100% assur for anything not work-related.

Havdala, kadsheini, satmar also recently sent a flyer about this event. I don't remember what it was called. Maybe kinus blitzen?

keym

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:56 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
@KeyM

My husband brought home a flyer over Shavuos. 2 full pages. The front had information about the actual event- place, price, how to get tickets. The inside was this Q&A about anti-internet. The back was Q&A about this particular event.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:00 am
Rubies wrote:
As it should.

Though the concept of the internet and its dangers, needs awareness and protection there's a lot of underhandedness in the way its actually handled.

Why is there a monopoly on filters?
Why does an outsider have the ability to check your filter level?
Why is your browsing activity not considered private under Rabeinu Gershom's letter privacy?
Where is the same trust given to taharas hamishpachah and shabbos, when it comes to this?

Good points.
Another question, are they charging $ for tickets? How much? Are speakers being paid? How much? Etc

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:01 am
@keym that's funny. I guess different shuls gave out different things?
The one I kept on seeing around had the same FAQ colors as the whole Nekadeish event and was all event-related.
Didn't see the one you described; was it with the Yiddish event info? Or the English event info?
In either case, I don't think the event is to make assur/ mutar rules, just to empower anyone on any level to make smart choices.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:03 am
Imo coming from a chasidus where the rift has grown very wide, this kinus will just create a larger rift between those that have smartphones and those that don't.

Rubies

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:03 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
Good points.
Another question, are they charging $ for tickets? How much? Are speakers being paid? How much? Etc

To me - the biggest issue I have is the 'black market' going on underneath the guise of yiras shamayim.

Nothing wrong with having parnasah in a field that helps people, but be open and honest about it. Way too much shadiness going on behind-the-scenes for me to not be cynical.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:04 am
@Rubies what do you mean by "shadiness"?
Page 3 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational