Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What were your reasons for making aliyah?
Previous  1  2

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 4:54 am
Many reasons. We were drowning in debt and our parnasah was going to disappear soon in chutz l'aretz.

When we decided that we were serious about making aliyah, for the first time in our lives, we saw Hashem's hand in every move we made. It was amazing.

We saw the writing on the wall couldn't be clearer. We couldn't be happier that we made the move. This is honestly our home.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 5:28 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Many reasons. We were drowning in debt and our parnasah was going to disappear soon in chutz l'aretz.

When we decided that we were serious about making aliyah, for the first time in our lives, we saw Hashem's hand in every move we made. It was amazing.

We saw the writing on the wall couldn't be clearer. We couldn't be happier that we made the move. This is honestly our home.

I've seen HaShem's hand in literally everything since we decided to make Aliyah- and 10x more since we moved here. Truly incredible.
It was a hard decision at first to come, but I honestly feel so grateful every day that we're here.
I told my husband the other day that it's incredible that we live here- we aren't here for a week or a month or a year. We get to go to the kotel whenever we want (I was able to go to be oleh regel on Pesach and thank HaShem for my pregnancy- it feels like just because!), we can go siteseeing, and there's no expiration date.
So many people try to make time to come on vacation for a few days, and we get to LIVE IT.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 7:43 am
essie14 wrote:
I am so sorry that aliyah didn't work out for you. That must be incredibly painful.
I disagree with the bolded. I know at least 25 families who made aliyah with kids over the age of 10 and the families are THRIVING!

My family made Aliya when I was 13. It was a traumatic and horrible thing to go through. Today I am settled in Isreal but I really don't recommend other kids going through the experience that I went through.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 8:15 am
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:
My family made Aliya when I was 13. It was a traumatic and horrible thing to go through. Today I am settled in Isreal but I really don't recommend other kids going through the experience that I went through.
Ill say that I know both, families where teens are thriving and families that had teens that suffered greatly because of the age they were when they made aliyah.
It just depends on so many different things beyond JUST age.

Reality

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 8:42 am
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:

This is the old mindset. You must have made aliyah about 10 years ago if you are on this site. Don't you see how things have progressed since then?

I'm not saying there aren't struggles for kids. But to make it sound like for most people today making aliyah with older kids is a failure, it's just not true. I have met so many happy, well-adjusted tweens and teens who have made aliyah.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:25 am
Thanks everyone!
Anyone here made aliyah and is "Agudah" type?
We are an open minded yeshivish family who are interested in Aliyah, I'm worried about finding our type.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone!
Anyone here made aliyah and is "Agudah" type?
We are an open minded yeshivish family who are interested in Aliyah, I'm worried about finding our type.

Types in Israel are different than types outside of Israel. Someone mentioned on a recent thread that you can't compare MO to DL and it's true. I'm not saying better or worse, just different.
I think I know what you mean by Agudah type. In Israel they're not exactly like that. You'll either find people more strict about certain things than you're used to or less strict, or you might find them way more strict about certain things but not about others. Your best bet at finding a school and community you can live with is in a very Anglo place like certain parts of RBS.
As Anglo communities grow bigger they're becoming more separate from Israeli society instead of integrating. You'll be reminded of certain immigrants in other countries that live in a sort of bubble and still speak the language of the country they're from and the language of their host country, not so well. That's not necessarily a bad thing especially if you knew going in that's what it would be like.
When your kids get older and they're in shidduchim "real" Israeli families will look at them as sug bet and won't go near them. There are plenty of kids with American parents so it's not like your kids won't find anyone. This type of shidduch snobbery is in the more Agudah, right-wing places. DL imas who made aliya will come here to tell you how many of their kids married third generation Israelis.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions