Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you have a cleaning lady?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you get cleaning help?
never  
 37%  [ 46 ]
once per week  
 41%  [ 51 ]
a few times a week  
 21%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 124

ArthurDent

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 8:59 pm
mimivan wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Till last week, I had a cleaner once a week for 2 hours @ $19/hour, which is the going rate . She did the bathrooms (1 full and 2 half) and vacuumed and mopped the floors, except the kitchen. Now she legalized herself and got a "real" job as chambermaid in a hotel, so I am helperless once again. She lasted 10 months, so I shouldn't complain. Her predecessor held out about 5 weeks.

I'm thinking of maybe going up to three hours a week and then I could get my blinds washed, furniture polished and windows cleaned, not to mention fridge and oven, without having to do them myself, which only happens about twice a year (not the fridge and oven, don't worry.)

$19 an hour?
I get less than that for editing...
Can I be your cleaning lady? LOL

Seriously. Where do you live? I could use $19 an hour.

cassandra

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 9:00 pm
I bet gas costs $14 a gallon there.

ny21

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 9:25 pm
I do not have a cleaning lady

manhattanmom

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 10:37 am
I have a cleaning lady who I call my "emergency cleaning lady." She works for my mother and she comes to me when I'm swamped with housework and schoolwork and taking care of the baby-work....
She's here now--I just finished a long stretch of the end-of-the semester work and am completely backed up with housework and I have ZERO energy to clean my own oven and bathtub.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 11:01 am
sure I have a cleaning lady-- me.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:33 pm
ArthurDent wrote:
mimivan wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Till last week, I had a cleaner once a week for 2 hours @ $19/hour, which is the going rate . She did the bathrooms (1 full and 2 half) and vacuumed and mopped the floors, except the kitchen. Now she legalized herself and got a "real" job as chambermaid in a hotel, so I am helperless once again. She lasted 10 months, so I shouldn't complain. Her predecessor held out about 5 weeks.

I'm thinking of maybe going up to three hours a week and then I could get my blinds washed, furniture polished and windows cleaned, not to mention fridge and oven, without having to do them myself, which only happens about twice a year (not the fridge and oven, don't worry.)

$19 an hour?
I get less than that for editing...
Can I be your cleaning lady? LOL

Seriously. Where do you live? I could use $19 an hour.

I live somewhere where labor costs are really high. Also the cost of living. But the scenery is gorgeous. Arthur, mimi, you're both welcome to come and clean my house. You can trade off weeks. Airfare not included.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:36 pm
cassandra wrote:
I bet gas costs $14 a gallon there.

Let's not get carried away. Gas costs only $8 a gallon. It's the labor costs that are high here.

cassandra

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:38 pm
Why are labor costs high? Does your cleaning lady have a PhD and use chemistry equations to figure out the proper solution to use for floor cleaning?

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:56 pm
posting anonymously for obvious reasons.

been married 10+ years and have never left that slob stage.

I hate cleaning, dh doesnt do anything. its a big strain for us. I actually daven for parnassah that we can have cleaning help. we cant afford it and I dont think we will for a while longer too.

my tiny apt is too much for me.

I know how pathetic I sound. no flames please.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 2:25 pm
cassandra wrote:
Why are labor costs high? Does your cleaning lady have a PhD and use chemistry equations to figure out the proper solution to use for floor cleaning?

If my cleaning lady has a high school diploma, I'd be surprised. She reminds me strongly of the peasant farm girls that used to help my grandmother back in Hungary (at least, she matches my mother's description of them.)

She doesn't figure any equations at all when it comes to using my cleaning solutions. She just pours it all over, the more the merrier. She uses more in a month than I do in a year.

Anyhow, she's off to her dream job as a chambermaid now.

I have no clue as to why labor costs are so high here. It would be an interesting thing to research.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 2:27 pm
Maybe I will move there. Make lots of momey and loose weight too, great!

sarahd

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 2:29 pm
Definitely lose weight. Food prices here are sky high.

Miriam770

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 2:42 pm
I wish... but here in Israel the concept of being a cleaning lady is very diferent... first of all is jewish and they make a LOT off money... Students clean houses too. They ask for 35 shekels plus taxi... yessssssssss taxi.... to pick them up and to go back home... They make more an hour than my DH as a sofer....

ArthurDent

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 3:12 pm
sarahd wrote:
Definitely lose weight. Food prices here are sky high.

Hmmm. This is almost like a riddle. Where in Europe are labor and food prices sky high? But the population is not necessarily super educated?

sarahd

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 5:00 pm
Well, let me remove some of the confusion. My cleaning woman is not a native of this country. She comes from Slovakia.

However, it's true that the population is not the most educated, although you would never guess it from the impression the world has of this country.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 5:38 pm
We may get one now that dh will work.

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 9:30 pm
sarahd, are you in switzerland?

Raisin

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 4:31 am
sarahd wrote:
Well, let me remove some of the confusion. My cleaning woman is not a native of this country. She comes from Slovakia.

However, it's true that the population is not the most educated, although you would never guess it from the impression the world has of this country.

omg! I just did some currency converting and I am paying the same as you Sarahd. And the last 2 cleaning ladies I have had, while they have both been from eastern europe, actually they are both really educated. One is an accountant (shes the one who went back) and the other is a pianist. Still...despite their superior education, they still do brainless things like washing the floor with mouthwash. I think the farm girl type would be better at cleaning.

Why are labour costs so high? There are good economic reasons. Rent is high here, food costs are high, petrol is taxed more highly in europe, and there is low unemployment so it is easy for people to get jobs in resturants etc

(I am not in Sarahds country, though the scenery is also gorgeous here and the labour cost just as high)

sarahd

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 5:20 am
So I should be glad Ivana came off the farm? She did use all the right cleaning solutions, so what if I had to buy refills every other week? Mr. Clean is cheaper than mouthwash.

ChanahLeah

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
No, never had one. I don't like to pay for anything that I can do myself.

Maybe I just don't understand, but why would you pay someone to be in and clean your personal space. I have 4 children, ranging in ages from 10 months to 19years old, and I would never pay someone to clean my home. If "we" are so busy in our lives that "we" can't find time to take care of our families properly, then maybe we should re-evaluate our prioities.

Just my opinion, but I take pride in my home and in the way my family looks(cleanliness) and I wouldn't feel right having anyone else do that, not to mention the waste of money...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry