Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
When do you shop for Shabbos? (Sun, Mon, etc...)
Previous  1  2

when do you go shopping for shabbos?
tuesday  
 4%  [ 4 ]
wednesday  
 52%  [ 48 ]
thursday  
 34%  [ 32 ]
friday  
 6%  [ 6 ]
sunday, monday  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 92

miriamnechama

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:09 pm
Tamiri wrote:
pinkbubbles wrote:
I would love to shop on Tuesday/Wednesday, but the vegetables and fruits dont stay fresh for that long, I don't know why. Maybe its my fridge (our landlord bought us a new one, finally! its coming tomorrow)

Mazal tov on your new fridge. Stuff should stay fresh for a week. Don't rinse produce before putting it in the fridge. Tomatoes should not be refrigerated. Line the produce bins with a towel or newspaper to absorb moisture, which promotes spoilage. Buy parsley and dill, pick through it and freeze to use a bit at a time (if you don't need the whole bunch when you buy it). Strawberries, grapes, cherries stay very well in an airtight container, lined either with a "rack' (Tupperware has these plastic racks in various sizes, which fit right in the bottom of the container) or a paper towel which you can change if it gets too moist. BTW, a "rack" inside an airtight bowl is a good way to store cut melons and salad in general, by keeping moisture away from the delicate foods. If you buy celery and scallions, store them tightly wrapped in plastic and keep them from getting moist.
I like shopping Tues because it gives the fruit time to ripen in time for Shabbat. We usually don't keep Strawberries that long, but everything else, if stored properly, works just fine.

great tips. hears another.. cucumbers and peppers are best if you leave them in teh bag in teh fridge.. they live up to 2 weeks that way.. andalso I don't cover my water melon... I\t stays fresher... otehr wise ifi cover it goes off faster.

Tamiri

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:14 pm
Pizza wrote:
Tamiri, how do you shop Sunday?
The stores where I live, they dont have any nice, new produce out until at least Monday. SUnday there is only leftovers from before Shabbos...

I was not the one who wrote about shopping Sunday. I never did that in the U.S. and would never do it here.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:24 pm
I shop on Sundays. That way there are no lines in the stores and I get fresh bread for the week that day.

My fridge can't handle the Shabbos food and the weekday stuff crammed in there. Besides that, I hav a good shiur on Wed ights that I don't want to miss, and I usually work late that night. I can't do everything !

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 2:47 pm
Thanks Tamiri Smile

I will for sure end up using your tips in the near future!

ny21

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 4:57 pm
I shop for food on thursday night and then they deliver it.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 5:39 pm
I feel things are better fresh ... both bought and cooked ... too bad I am not that organized or I would get the rest done on thursday like cleaning, etc. ... maybe one day ...

louche

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 9:20 pm
Eight days a weeeeeek.

overworkedraizy

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:08 am
I shop on Thursday I like to cook on Friday so everything is fresh lekoved shabbos

Marion

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:36 am
Whenever. I don't do "Shabbat shopping". I grocery shop. What I need for Shabbat is on the list, or else I make do with what I have in the house. I go whenever I have someone to watch at least one of the kids. Usually either Sunday or Wednesday on my way home from work, although occasionally Friday morning when my older one is in daycare & I'm not working.

mamacita

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 7:37 am
I do a big shop on Wednesday so the frozen things can thaw so I can cook Thursday. Dh picks up some last minute veg and things Friday morning. Smile Like challah, I'm no super balabusta!

In the kitchen

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 10:57 am
I do my Shabbos shopping on Thursdays right after work...when normal people are getting ready to sit for dinner, so the store is not crowded...if I wait a bit the grocery become packed with men shopping for their wives who are already preparing for Shabbos. Smile

I am very grateful that I don't work on Friday's so that I can have all day to cook and clean.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note