Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
The BEST NO FAIL Delicious challah- by breslov
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

melbee

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 4:04 pm
So far I've only ever done a bread machine challah from my MIL. I'm excited to try out this recipe today for Shabbos. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting, Seraph!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 10:32 pm
Ok, I followed this recipe and my challahs are a disaster. Don't think it is anything to do with the recipe, but how I'm baking them. Bottoms turned black while challah still not fully baked through. Dropped oven temp to 325 and moved the rack up a bit but it's too late. Why did this happen to me?????

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:20 pm
Nu? Where are all the bakers? Can someone help me so this wont happen again? I'm a pretty good cook but when it comes to baking I am clueless.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:58 pm
I'm sorry, I don't know why that happened MiracleMama Sad

Were you using non-disposable cookie sheets to bake the challahs on?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:09 am
ra_mom wrote:

I used stainless steel baking/cookie sheets.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:26 am
MiracleMama wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I don't know why, but I find that using such baking sheets can make the bottoms burn.
You might need lighter/thinner cookie sheets.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:31 am
Lately I use parchment paper to line my disposable cookie sheets, and rotate the sheets as needed between the top and bottom rack, when one side is more done than the other.

fiddle

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:52 am
MiracleMama wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Is iit a gas oven?

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:56 am
I want to try this recipe! Do u have to let the yeast bubble before adding the rest of the ingredients? What sort of flour does it call for? Regular? High gluten?

fiddle

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:58 am
I don't do that with the yeast and I use regular flour

shaini

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 5:44 am
Fiddle, if you don't have the yeast bubble then what do the others mean by proofing the yeast first? I'm confused. I did try this recipe and although easy, the challahs didn't come out as airy as I had expected.

fiddle

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 1:58 pm
shaini wrote:
Fiddle, if you don't have the yeast bubble then what do the others mean by proofing the yeast first? I'm confused. I did try this recipe and although easy, the challahs didn't come out as airy as I had expected.

it says it in the original to proof the yeast? I dont think I read that. and I didnt proof it, just mixed it with water and went on with the rest of the ingredients in the order written and I didnt have a problem. challahs were airy and delicious

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 3:34 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Nu? Where are all the bakers? Can someone help me so this wont happen again? I'm a pretty good cook but when it comes to baking I am clueless.
Is your oven properly calibrated? To me it sounds as if the oven isn't working properly.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 11:20 pm
Tamiri wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:
Is your oven properly calibrated? To me it sounds as if the oven isn't working properly.

Good question. I wouldn't know. Guess I should figure out how to check it.

Next round I am going to try parchment paper or disposable pans and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips ladies!

nicole81

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 11:58 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:

Good question. I wouldn't know. Guess I should figure out how to check it.

Next round I am going to try parchment paper or disposable pans and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips ladies!

I use disposable pans lined with parchment paper (both of which I reuse over and over again) and bake only on the top rack. my challot always turn out great!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:10 am
If the oven is no good (that burning on the bottom and raw top is a clue), no amount of paper is going to help.
Challa should be lightly brown all over in about 20 minutes if the oven is properly calibrated. After that, it depends on the size of the loaf as to how much longer it needs in the oven.
I bake my challot at 375F but I think some recipes call for 350F. In any event, if "nothing doing" in 20 minutes or there is burning, something is off with the oven, in my opinion.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 10:47 pm
fiddle wrote:
shaini wrote:

it says it in the original to proof the yeast? I dont think I read that. and I didnt proof it, just mixed it with water and went on with the rest of the ingredients in the order written and I didnt have a problem. challahs were airy and delicious
The first time I made these I did not proof the yeast, as the recipe didn't indicate to do so.
The challos came out really delicious. They were small.
Since then I have been proofing the yeast (leaving it to bubble in warm water and a bit of sugar), and the challos come out even more delicious! (I also place them in a cold oven and only turn on the temperature once the challos are inside. This makes them rise even more.)
This is a yummy recipe!

shaini

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 10:22 pm
Thanks, ra_mon, I'll do this when I try them again and hopefully they'll be lighter.

sarah86

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 6:11 pm
Delicious Challah! Just made a fresh batch to be frozen for RH...Has anyone tried adding more sugar or stirring in raisins? I personally like my challah bit sweeter-nbut this recipe is so fluffy! YUM! Thanks for posting!

mama-star

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 6:21 pm
I made this recipe for shabbos and it was excellent!! thank you to breslov/seraph (right?) who posted!! has anyone ever tripled the recipe? because usually I use about 21 c of flour at a time. just wondering how that might turn out (how could it be bad?)
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads