Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
The BEST NO FAIL Delicious challah- by breslov
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Newsie

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:34 am
I am trying this tonight. Wish me luck. I also have had no success with ANY challah recipe so far. I think I am challah challenged.

rachel19977

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 12:48 pm
Darn. Wanted to make this, but only have a kilo of flour left, after making Kubbana and hmmm, what else? Ohhh yes, a Israeli cheesecake....! It's in the fridge... reminding me it's time to be tasted!

freidasima

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 1:34 pm
Made it today...and it was only so-so...too "yeasty"...here's the problem. I use "shimrit" and if it says 2 yeasts in a recipie I use two envelopes of Shimrit without the "meshaper afiya" junk that they give in the second envelope (tons of chemicals)...but maybe I am adding too much? As I wanted to do hafrasha and this recipie was too small, I made two different recipies, this and another, the one with soymilk that I wrote about - turns out that it is ok for washing, because of the percentage of water in the soymilk, and that one came out so much better...made tiny rolls of each one to try tonight for dinner and that's how I know...will let you know what my family thinks after shabbos...

lovmyboys

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 2:30 pm
What kind of yeast do you used for this recipe- dry or fresh??

Newsie

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 2:52 pm
freidasima wrote:
Made it today...and it was only so-so...too "yeasty"...here's the problem. I use "shimrit" and if it says 2 yeasts in a recipie I use two envelopes of Shimrit without the "meshaper afiya" junk that they give in the second envelope (tons of chemicals)...but maybe I am adding too much?

Whoa! Mine is rising now. I don't think I used anywhere near as much yeast as that. I did 1.5 tablespoons. Was I supposed to do 1 oz, two packages in addition to the 1.5 T?

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 2:59 pm
Breslov's recipe calls for 2 1-oz pkgs of yeast. Those are the U.S. sized packets. Each packet contains 2 1/4 tsp. of yeast. Double that to 4.5 tsp, and that is the same as 1.5 Tablespoons.
These are the measurements for freeze-dried yeast.
I don't know exactly what Shimrit is. Can't figure it out. I buy the big (1/2kg?) bags of yeast which come vacuum packed. I buy a bag after Pesach and throw out the remainder before the Pesach of next year. It comes out very cheap this way and I would suggest that anyone planning to bake challa/bread regularly go for this yeast method.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 6:14 pm
tamiri, how much do the big bags cost? I may ask someone to bring one back for me from israel.

freidasima

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 6:15 pm
Shimrit is the only kind of yeast they have at our shefa. A package or rather envelope of fresh yeast grains and you can add it directly to the flour, doesn't need water.

wanderer

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 6:35 pm
I really wanna try this. Can someone please convert this recipe into ounces and pounds for five pounds of flour?

please???

Newsie

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 1:54 am
freidasima wrote:
Shimrit is the only kind of yeast they have at our shefa. A package or rather envelope of fresh yeast grains and you can add it directly to the flour, doesn't need water.

The yeast in those red and white bags doesn't need water? Hmmmm, now maybe I understand why I have always had challah problems...

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 2:13 am
Raisin wrote:
tamiri, how much do the big bags cost? I may ask someone to bring one back for me from israel.

Raisin, I don't know exactly but when I say cheap, I mean cheap. They sell it the same way in warehouses in the U.S. After you open the vacuum pack, store it in an airtight container in the fridge.

Seraph

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 3:34 am
Newsie wrote:
freidasima wrote:
Made it today...and it was only so-so...too "yeasty"...here's the problem. I use "shimrit" and if it says 2 yeasts in a recipie I use two envelopes of Shimrit without the "meshaper afiya" junk that they give in the second envelope (tons of chemicals)...but maybe I am adding too much?

Whoa! Mine is rising now. I don't think I used anywhere near as much yeast as that. I did 1.5 tablespoons. Was I supposed to do 1 oz, two packages in addition to the 1.5 T?

No, you put in the right amount. the reason freidasimas recipe came out yeasty was bec she put more yeast than I said- ur supposed to use 1.5 tablespoons!

freidasima

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 4:33 am
Got it breslov....so next week I will try it with only one package like I did the second recipie that I used, and see how it comes out...in any case because of shabbos/shavous we will need six challahs plus rolls that I give out so I can use three different recipies (I am trying new ones every week and revamping the older ones like I will do with yours breslov) and will let you know.

So far the winner seems to be the one with no water, the demarera sugar, 4 eggs and hot soymilk, half cup heated oil and saffron. Will let you know motzei shabbos how the kids liked it.

freidasima

Post Sat, May 31 2008, 5:34 pm
OK here's the motzai shabbos report.

Breslov's cant fail challah failed because I messed up the amount of yeast.
Meaning I failed, not the challah..

Of course my local zaddik - not tongue in cheek - my dh said that it was fine even though the yeast was coming out of everyone's ears and that he would finish it up during the week, but I promised that next thursday I make it with only one package of shimrit and I am sure it will be really fine.

I did, however have great success with the second recipie, the soymilk challah, 4 eggs, 1 kilo flour, 1/2 cup hot oil, 1 shimrit, then some water, but you must use the soymilk brand where the soymilk is at least 85% water at least so that it is not mezonos. Alpro works, also has a good hechsher. Don't know the American brands but maybe Edensoy.

In any case it was great and next week instead of using a cup of demarera sugar, I will use only a half cup and add garlic and onion powder to one challah by local demand.

We will try the rolls thursday yet and see what happens.
Will report back to the Klal and let you know about that and Breslovs new and improved one package Shimrit challah.

israel22

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 12:42 pm
I am really interested in trying it I just wanted to know if after the yeast rises you put that in the bowl first? and then add e/t else on top of it? thanks so much

Pizza

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 12:57 pm
I didnt wait for the yeast to proof, b/c the directions didnt say so
I just threw the next ingredients in, and it came out amazing!

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 1:06 pm
ok,I tried it,it was ok
it didnt rise as much as I would have liked,and I barely got 3loaves and they were small loves,for so much flour.(I did use 60%whole wheat,maybe that was the problem)
I'm going to go back to mine which is just as good,but thanks,breslov!

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 1:18 pm
Ok, I am going to try this challah recipe this week!
Wish me luck! I consider myself a very good baker but really bad at Challah!

momto4

Post Mon, Jun 02 2008, 7:36 pm
ok first of all I am not a baker at all. I am so "talented" that I have even managed to ruin a duncan hines cake! anyway I decided for some crazy reason to try this "no fail" challah... well I failed! it was way too yeasty. I have those yeast envelope things that have three packets. I used two of those three. then added the water etc. was I wrong! it said in the recipe 2 packets/ 1 oz./ 1.5 tbs. it was very confusing. please someone tell me what to do. my dh would love to have home baked challah for shavuous. thanks!

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:25 am
if ur packets are .5 oz, then use two. Simplest- measure the amount of tablespoons I said. Forget the packages- just measure out 1.5 tablespoons.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads