Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
The BEST NO FAIL Delicious challah- by breslov
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

sammy

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 8:29 pm
just out of curiousity...how many loaves/what size challahs did u get from this recipe? I got 2 very high ones and one smaller one. I wonder if that was a mistake?

Seraph

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 1:25 am
I just wanted to put a disclaimer- my recipe is a no fail, when you dont make changes. I didnt promise a good challah if u decide to change it to wole what. The challah is good as is, but to say "your recipe wasnt good. I made it whole wheat and it wasnt so tasty" is silly, because I never said to use whole wheat- I said the recipe was good and fail proof if u follow exactly as was written. And I think I shall change what I wrote originally- the two packets, oz, 1.5 tablespoons is confusing.
Its 1.5 tablespoons. You use as many parts of a packet or two or however big to make it 1.5 tablespoons.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 1:36 am
I tried it last week. I thought it came out very well. I got 3 medium sized loaves. Of the 3 different recipes I tried recently this was dh's favorite.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:05 am
This is cute. When I read the thread title, I thought to myself, maybe I should try a new challah recipe, even though my challos always come out delicious. Then I opened the thread and read the recipe, and guess what? this is my exact recipe that I've been using for years! Very Happy (and my mother is using it for 30 years already!)

drumjj

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:18 am
breslov can u use pkt dried yeast?

Seraph

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:26 am
I honestly dont know the difference. I'm assuming that thats what I use.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:30 am
ok thanks

Newsie

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 6:07 am
Forgot to post how it went last week. They're the first challahs I ever made that rose nicely and were not dense. (I did proof the yeast. I was too afraid not to) Thanks! I'm going to try these again soon. Now I have to work on my shaping them better.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:38 am
I also made them last week and they worked but I did it with fresh yeast because I had some. this week im going to try it as a bigger recipe so I can take challah and use pkt yeast

drumjj

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 8:42 am
if u have a pkt of dried yeast to u have to mix that with water also?

rebeca

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:14 am
please someone, how much fresh yeast equals this?
Does one cup means a cup (glass) or is it some usa measure?
I'd love to make good challes for yom tov. I've given up trying as my kids prefer the shop ones ;-(
Thanks!!

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:58 pm
I am making it right now and letting it rise in the bowl...so far so good....

rebeca

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:13 pm
I just made them they are out of the oven and look and smell good....
Cant wait to taste them!!!!
I made twice the amount and have 6 medium challes. I took challah with brocho although I'm not 100 % sure that I used enought flower....(maybe my cups were smaller...) so is a cup a certain measure a does it mean a glass?)

Thanks breslov! Yo've got a massive zechus here with all these people making challes thanks to you!!! Very Happy

yikes!

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 6:04 pm
preheat oven?

rebeca

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 3:11 am
gas usually oven needs preheating. fan oven doesn't

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 8:27 am
Raisin, I don't know exactly but when I say cheap, I mean cheap. They sell it the same way in warehouses in the U.S. After you open the vacuum pack, store it in an airtight container in the fridge.[/quote]

Tamiri, would you know where I can buy the the same type yeast in bulk, other than in warehouses? What is the name of the company? I live in Brooklyn.
Thanks

TheBeinoni

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 6:36 pm
I tried this recipe today, Breslov/Seraph Wink, and B"H BLI AYIN HARA YISTABACH SHMO - it came out GREAT!!! This really is a terrific recipe - both DH and I loved it.

Thanks for sharing and adding to our Shabbat Smile

desertrose

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 3:30 am
I am wondering if its dry or fresh yeast? What are the amounts for either in grams?

Pizza

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 3:49 am
I love this recipe
I occasionally switch recipes, and have not had as much luck with others as this one. Only thing is, it doesnt adapt well to 100% whole wheat - I need to do 50-50.

dillie

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 10:28 pm
Breslov, I signed on because I have to thank you- I made the challah this afternoon, and it came out great! I haven't had much challah success in the past. I halved the yeast - used only two envelopes- because I knew it would have to rise a very long time, until I could finally braid it. It rose beautifully anyway, baked beautifully, and it tastes great!
Gut shabbos!
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads