Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What is the difference between Aguda midwest, and Maarava?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 12:39 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I disagree, the only not bais yaakov thing about Maayan is no knee socks required. Otherwise everything else about them is a standard bais yaakov camp. And the staff is pretty right wing bais yaakov.
Aguda Midwest is definitely more yeshivish, but there is a lot of overlap.
\
the staff is pretty right wing but someone told me that this past summer the kids were more modern then in the past. my daughter went this summer and she said she was definitely towards the most right wing.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:40 am
What about Maraava compared to camp Bais Yaakov? In terms of out of town girls, middos, gashmius.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 2:04 am
My DD just came home from Maarava - we are from OOT. I can't compare it to any other camp, but I would guess at least 50% of the girls are from Lakewood. As far as gashmiyus, there was definitely an emphasis on brands and clothing, but not too bad compared to what I've heard from friends that have daughters in NY camps and I also heard MTM is much worse in that regards.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:55 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
What about Maraava compared to camp Bais Yaakov? In terms of out of town girls, middos, gashmius.

Bump

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:51 am
amother Seashell wrote:
My DD just came home from Maarava - we are from OOT. I can't compare it to any other camp, but I would guess at least 50% of the girls are from Lakewood. As far as gashmiyus, there was definitely an emphasis on brands and clothing, but not too bad compared to what I've heard from friends that have daughters in NY camps and I also heard MTM is much worse in that regards.

How does it compare to bnos

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:02 pm
And what are some other camps that compare?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:30 pm
What does MTM stand for? I tried googling and searching on imamother and can't figure this out TMI

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:30 pm
I attended AMW as a camper and staff (and not so long ago...) the camp has a pretty OOT feel even though there are a lot of girls from in town there - generally the more out of town types from in town.
In the past few years I think the campers have gotten less yeshivish and there is a little more of a with it feel, but the staff is all very frum and the counselors are also for the most part, so the camp still feels open minded and solid.
In the best way possible (because I went there and loved this about the camp!) it can be a little wacky... more than most camps. They're off the beaten path with their themes, songs, activities - I loved it and thought it was fun, but if your dd doesn't like that type of thing, she might be better off in a camp like maarava - more yeshivish, a little more mainstream but still has more of an oot feel than bnos or naaleh or chaviva etc

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:31 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
What does MTM stand for? I tried googling and searching on imamother and can't figure this out TMI

Maarava Trade Mark... I think it's like the spinoff teen camp of maarava kind of like chayil and bnos (if that's helpful)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:36 pm
My daughter says it stands for Machane Tiferes Marshall. (The campgrounds are in Marshall, IN)

No way it stands for Maarava Trade Mark!

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:36 pm
Quote:
I disagree, the only not bais yaakov thing about Maayan is no knee socks required. Otherwise everything else about them is a standard bais yaakov camp. And the staff is pretty right wing bais yaakov.

I am actually seriously confused about Maayan. The girls that went there from DDs OOT class are families that wear short sleeves after bas mitzvah, will wear sandals with no socks to shul, and kids have smartphones in 5th grade already.
But we just moved to a new OOT city and the girls from here that went to that camp are much much more of the Bais Yaakov type - for instance they all wear knee socks everyday. There must be a huge range

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:42 pm
amother Olive wrote:
Maarava Trade Mark... I think it's like the spinoff teen camp of maarava kind of like chayil and bnos (if that's helpful)

They are totally separate camps with diff crowds. They are on the same grounds and both owned by Aguda

Tova

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:44 pm
MTM is Machon Tiferes Miriam I am pretty sure

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:48 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My daughter says it stands for Machane Tiferes Marshall. (The campgrounds are in Marshall, IN)

No way it stands for Maarava Trade Mark!

I stand corrected: https://www.aicamps.com/mtm/

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:49 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Quote:

I am actually seriously confused about Maayan. The girls that went there from DDs OOT class are families that wear short sleeves after bas mitzvah, will wear sandals with no socks to shul, and kids have smartphones in 5th grade already.
But we just moved to a new OOT city and the girls from here that went to that camp are much much more of the Bais Yaakov type - for instance they all wear knee socks everyday. There must be a huge range

My daughter went, OOT bais yaakov style, pretty frum but wears nail polish out of school and I’m not makpid on knee socks in an area where most don’t wear. Her friends are very sweet girls, most seem like her type.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:54 pm
I live in what is probably the largest midwest community and know a wide range of people. Maayan is probably 80% from the centrist/jpf school and 20% from the contingent of bais yaakov that is most to the left.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 1:22 pm
Tova wrote:
MTM is Machon Tiferes Miriam I am pretty sure

I just checked their logo...
Looks like my daughter is right. I think there's a school Tiferes Miriam?

https://www.aicamps.com/images.....e.png

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 5:00 pm
Is Agudah Midwest less into brands than Maraava?

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 6:40 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Is Agudah Midwest less into brands than Maraava?

Definitely. Honestly generally speaking the more yeshivish and in-towny, the more into brands.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 6:44 pm
Yes, from what I've heard the order from most into brands to least into brands is
MTM
Maarava
Agudah Midwest
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children