Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Growth Curve Serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:01 am
I am guessing that since they didn't exist until they were created for the purposes of the serial, they had no relationship at all. Wink

But yeah, both these young couples have dysfunctional marriage relationships and a total lack of communication. What does that say about the generation (or about Mishpacha's writers and editors)?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:13 am
I get where tzipora is coming from. Growing up she saw her mother nag and berate her father and they ended up getting divorced. So she is determined to be the opposite and never criticise husband at all and be that perfect couple. Which is admirable but not nagging and berating doesnt equal never expressing your opposing opnion to your husband. Tzipora has gone to the opposite extreme.
In this case although she knew the melave malka was a terrible idea she was afraid to speak up because she didn't want to be her mother who ended up divorced. She needs to learn though that there are times a wife must step in in order to help her husband.
And benny just sounds like he's going through a midlife crisis at 25.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:21 am
It's interesting but literally everyone is making me cringe. I hate cringe so much. I have to skim all the cringy parts.

Also the new mishpacha serial is cringe. Like I know people with communication issues but walking out on a spouse and leaving for hours with no communication?

The only people I've personally ever seen do that are people with personality disorders, abusive etc.

I think the reactions are EXAGGERATED and that's what's making me cringe. The couple problems are realistic though

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:45 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
The letters to the editor felt very immature. Really? You're insulted that someone wrote a fictional story about fictional people?

I'm more annoyed that Dov Haller consistently writes women who are either flat, or vapid and non-intelligent, but you don't see me writing letters to the editor, because I am adult enough to realize that works of fiction come from authors' imaginations and doesn't necessarily reflect reality, and if I don't like it then I can skip it.

Wow I always thought the same about Dov Haller’s writing. Thought I was the only one.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:51 am
He intentionally doesn't focus much on developing the women characters and won't either have physical descriptions. It's his personal geder for tznius reasons.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:07 am
amother Grape wrote:
Wow I always thought the same about Dov Haller’s writing. Thought I was the only one.

I don't have this specific complaint about his writing, but it's pretty boring. He also reuses the same characters (not names, characters) over and over
At this point I'm bored by most of the frum writers. They either reuse the same characters, character mannerisms or expressions over and over and over again. (Except Leah Gebber- I love you Leah!!)

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:08 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It's interesting but literally everyone is making me cringe. I hate cringe so much. I have to skim all the cringy parts.

Also the new mishpacha serial is cringe. Like I know people with communication issues but walking out on a spouse and leaving for hours with no communication?

The only people I've personally ever seen do that are people with personality disorders, abusive etc.

I think the reactions are EXAGGERATED and that's what's making me cringe. The couple problems are realistic though

I'm LOVING this serial and finding it very true to life, especially all her descriptions. I also started out in RE and I think the author is doing a really good job. I don't think its so crazy that he needed space but I do feel really bad for her. On the other hand- in real life I know of husbands doing way worse when they need space so...

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:08 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
He intentionally doesn't focus much on developing the women characters and won't either have physical descriptions. It's his personal gender for tznius reasons.

Come on. Seriously?
A guy like that shouldn't be writing a serial for all audiences then. What if the thought of women reading his writing gives him improper thoughts

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:44 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:

At this point I'm bored by most of the frum writers. They either reuse the same characters, character mannerisms or expressions over and over and over again.

That's why I stopped reading Jodi Picoult and Kristen Hannah. I think a lot of authors have a specific style that can get boring if you've read a lot of their work.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:08 am
amother Brunette wrote:
That's why I stopped reading Jodi Picoult and Kristen Hannah. I think a lot of authors have a specific style that can get boring if you've read a lot of their work.

100 percent. Most authors have a style and I personally get bored after reading 5 of their books in a row.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:12 am
Come on. Seriously?
A guy like that shouldn't be writing a serial for all audiences then. What if the thought of women reading his writing gives him improper thoughts

I think it's improper for others to debate someone's personal hakpados that are done for the purest of intentions and don't harm anyone else's life.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:16 am
cupcake123 wrote:
That's what I like about the whole story thats its one big cringe. But it's like an addictive cringe lol I can't stop reading

You like that about a story? That'll hearten writers everywhere.
I keep thinking, where's his mentor? Where's the administrator who has to worry about damage control with his parents?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:18 am
amother Yolk wrote:
I am guessing that since they didn't exist until they were created for the purposes of the serial, they had no relationship at all. Wink

But yeah, both these young couples have dysfunctional marriage relationships and a total lack of communication. What does that say about the generation (or about Mishpacha's writers and editors)?

It says more about what people want to read. Many of the writers are doing it skillfully. But it's what makes the rest of turn to historical fiction.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:22 am
amother Brunette wrote:
I'm LOVING this serial and finding it very true to life, especially all her descriptions. I also started out in RE and I think the author is doing a really good job. I don't think its so crazy that he needed space but I do feel really bad for her. On the other hand- in real life I know of husbands doing way worse when they need space so...

I just want to stress, these writers are pretty skilled at what they do. I personally am not finding these stories (so many, not just these) compelling.

I'm going to say something and I'm NOT calling out the authors of these particular serials, who I like a lot.
It's like out there music. It's one thing when you have someone who comes from that world and is now integrating his (her) former life into his new one. There's something authentic there and stories that the performers want to tell. (I really like Diaspora, Moshe Yess, Piamentas.)

But then you have people who have no shaichus to that world who think, whoa, this is selling. I'm gonna do it.

So I wonder about some of the authors: Are they telling stories they feel need to be told, or stories that the public will lap up? And are the magazines asking them to tell those stories or giving them latitude?

Again, general question because it's in many magazines that carry serials.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:24 am
Come on. Seriously?

Nah, let him write. It's good to read competent writing. But this does give me pause. I have some questions I'm not going to ask here because I don't want to criticize specific writers.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:30 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think it's improper for others to debate someone's personal hakpados that are done for the purest of intentions and don't harm anyone else's life.

If I pay for a magazine that has stories that are deliberately not as good as they could be, doesn’t that impact me?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:31 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
If I pay for a magazine that has stories that are deliberately not as good as they could be, doesn’t that impact me?

Can you factor in, but is still so much better than others?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:34 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:

Can't Believe It
Yo, you also pay for a magazine that deliberately doesn't have photo's of women. Deliberately doesn't have romance scenes, doesn't feature anything with LGBT themes, so yea, this is that author's right as he writes for a publication that respects ones personal standards of kedusha. However, I'm curious how the poster knows this to be fact.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I just want to stress, these writers are pretty skilled at what they do. I personally am not finding these stories (so many, not just these) compelling.

I'm going to say something and I'm NOT calling out the authors of these particular serials, who I like a lot.
It's like out there music. It's one thing when you have someone who comes from that world and is now integrating his (her) former life into his new one. There's something authentic there and stories that the performers want to tell. (I really like Diaspora, Moshe Yess, Piamentas.)

But then you have people who have no shaichus to that world who think, whoa, this is selling. I'm gonna do it.

So I wonder about some of the authors: Are they telling stories they feel need to be told, or stories that the public will lap up? And are the magazines asking them to tell those stories or giving them latitude?

Again, general question because it's in many magazines that carry serials.

First of all-you may be surprised by some of the backgrounds of the writers. Second of all this particular serial seems to be written from a place of knowledge, I think the author lives there.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:40 am
amother Brunette wrote:
First of all-you may be surprised by some of the backgrounds of the writers. Second of all this particular serial seems to be written from a place of knowledge, I think the author lives there.

I'm not calling out this writer and this serial.
I just wonder, can someone come up with something contemporary but different? Not a soap opera? I do like the premise of the new Binah serial, the woman who has one year to live. And Esther Kurtz always has something different and interesting, like the classical music angle. The podcasts thing is fun (though that reminds me of a satire in one of the magazines about the woman who followed every single podcast/class she heard).
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room