Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Desperate! How to get baby discharged from NICU
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
This. Though their NICU is good, Maimonadies can give you hell when it comes to discharging babies or transferring to a different hospital. We literally had to steal out like theives in middle of the night to transfer.

This. They absolutely try to keep babies longer than necessary. It's a huge money grab for them.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
This. They absolutely try to keep babies longer than necessary. It's a huge money grab for them.

I.dont know where people get this info from.
I'm a nurse at Maimonides and I have never seen/heard anything to suggest that hospital stays are extended so that insurance can be billed. Overworked and overextended residents and nurses are thrilled to discharge whoever they can clear medically.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:48 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I.dont know where people get this info from.
I'm a nurse at Maimonides and I have never seen/heard anything to suggest that hospital stays are extended so that insurance can be billed. Overworked and overextended residents and nurses are thrilled to discharge whoever they can clear medically.

Are you a NICU nurse? Or PICU nurse?
I'm talking from experience. They give you absolute hell to transfer a baby or discharge from NICU. And many people that I know have the same experience. They make it almost impossible, you mamish need to escape like theives.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:51 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Are you a NICU nurse? Or PICU nurse?
I'm talking from experience. They give you absolute hell to transfer a baby or discharge from NICU. And many people that I know have the same experience. They make it almost impossible, you mamish need to escape like theives.

That's so interesting.

So basically there must be this huge population of perfectly healthy babies growing up in the NICU because the parents didn't fight like h3ll for their release.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:52 pm
I recentl went through this in a different hospital. I finally asked for the head nurse to explain why the stay is medically necessary, what they want to see before they would be ok with discharge, and why those things can't be done outpatient. They kept one more night and then discharged us.

suremom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:52 pm
Sit with your husband 24 hours and make sure to take up as much space as you can. Ask questions about everything even if you know the answer. They get really nervous when you do that and literally kick you out with baby...

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:56 pm
suremom wrote:
Sit with your husband 24 hours and make sure to take up as much space as you can. Ask questions about everything even if you know the answer. They get really nervous when you do that and literally kick you out with baby...

1. Be as annoying to the medical team as you possibly can.
2. Interfere with the normal functioning of the NICU and PICU as much as possible (where critically ill babies are being cared for).
3. Blame hospital for lack of appropriate medical care.

Yup, sounds like an excellent plan.

Or, you can do everyone a favor and NOT take your baby to the hospital if you think they're interested in kidnapping your baby for fun.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:57 pm
My bh healthy baby was discharged by the ped after 24 hr. They lied me and said he wasnt discharged and there was no resident to sign the discharge papers bc resident was in surgery (for 3 plus hrs in the evening!) bc they didnt want to discharge me and baby (I could sign an ama my baby couldnt). I checked the discharged papers and indeed my Baby had been discharged by the ped who examines him. Miamonides is not like a normal hospital. There are incompetant liars running the place. Op should get her baby out as fast as she can!!!

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Currant wrote:
1. Be as annoying to th

e medical team as you possibly can.
2. Interfere with the normal functioning of the NICU and PICU as much as possible (where critically ill babies are being cared for).

Or, you can do everyone a favor and NOT take your baby to the hospital if you think they're interested in kidnapping your baby for fun.

She probably gave birth there and her baby needed the nicu. No one chooses miamonides for its excellent medical care lol.

Have you ever been there?

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:01 pm
Sebastian wrote:
She probably gave birth there and her baby needed the nicu. No one chooses miamonides for its excellent medical care lol.

Have you ever been there?

So don't go there. Give birth someplace else.
But to go there and deliberately annoy the medical team while they're trying to take care of critically ill babies is beyond pathological. And a huge chilul Hashem.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:23 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
They do try and keep you as long as your insurance will pay for it

My twins were in the nicu for 4 months
After fighting to get them out I requested all medical records and saw they we’re planning on keeping them an additional 2 months had I not said anything

Gosh! What hospital was this in?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:24 pm
I'm laughing at the comments that are stating Maimo keeps babies for insurance money. They get paid much less than standard as 3/4 of Maimo pts tend to have govt insurance, and insurance companies generally look for any reason why they WON'T cover services.

OP, I know having a NICU baby is hard, I've been there unfortunately (in Manhattan) , over and over and over and over and over. I know what it is to travel postpartum back and forth and the feeling of guilt leaving a baby "stranded" in a hospital without mommy especially shabbos after shabbos after shabbos. I understand the hormones, and I understand the frustration when people make silly comments like "at least you get a full night's sleep" as you watch your baby struggling to breathe with a CPAP up their nose. I understand the feeling when the nurses say "he's getting ready to come home!" only to be told the next day baby wasn't regulating his body temp well enough and needed another few days. I understand the fear of seeing baby perfectly thriving in the nurses hands yet when handed over to mommy suddenly the baby is gagging and having trouble swallowing. I understand the back and forth phone calls with my usual pediatrician giving him updates on the baby and asking him if he agrees with the hospital staff's course of treatment. I get it. All of it.
OP I TOTALLY understand you. It's so hard to handle both physically and emotionally. But please trust the process. Most Nurses and Drs are not monsters, I truly feel they want what's best for baby. What would you do if your baby came home and turned blue chv from the lack of oxygen? Is it worth the risk? I wish you hatzlacha and please keep in mind that a positive result is not an excuse for irresponsible behavior.
I hope your baby comes home soon healthy and well and may you be able to enjoy your family!

suremom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:27 pm
amother Currant wrote:
1. Be as annoying to the medical team as you possibly can.

re #2 and 3, you said that, not me.
Also, you seem really experienced in this particular hospitals NICU.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:28 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I'm laughing at the comments that are stating Maimo keeps babies for insurance money. They get paid much less than standard as 3/4 of Maimo pts tend to have govt insurance, and insurance companies generally look for any reason why they WON'T cover services.

OP, I know having a NICU baby is hard, I've been there unfortunately (in Manhattan) , over and over and over and over and over. I know what it is to travel postpartum back and forth and the feeling of guilt leaving a baby "stranded" in a hospital without mommy especially shabbos after shabbos after shabbos. I understand the hormones, and I understand the frustration when people make silly comments like "at least you get a full night's sleep" as you watch your baby struggling to breathe with a CPAP up their nose. I understand the feeling when the nurses say "he's getting ready to come home!" only to be told the next day baby wasn't regulating his body temp well enough and needed another few days. I understand the fear of seeing baby perfectly thriving in the nurses hands yet when handed over to mommy suddenly the baby is gagging and having trouble swallowing. I understand the back and forth phone calls with my usual pediatrician giving him updates on the baby and asking him if he agrees with the hospital staff's course of treatment. I get it. All of it.
OP I TOTALLY understand you. It's so hard to handle both physically and emotionally. But please trust the process. Most Nurses and Drs are not monsters, I truly feel they want what's best for baby. What would you do if your baby came home and turned blue chv from the lack of oxygen? Is it worth the risk? I wish you hatzlacha and please keep in mind that a positive result is not an excuse for irresponsible behavior.
I hope your baby comes home soon healthy and well and may you be able to enjoy your family!

can I like this post multiple times! a voice of reason. thank you.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:29 pm
amother Currant wrote:
That's so interesting.

So basically there must be this huge population of perfectly healthy babies growing up in the NICU because the parents didn't fight like h3ll for their release.

Way to take a post out of context....
Yes, they try to find reasons to not release whenever they can. And to transfer to another hospital? Forget it. I don't know anyone that had an easy experience transferring out of maimonedes. They refuse and you need to turn over the world.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:32 pm
suremom wrote:
re #2 and 3, you said that, not me.
Also, you seem really experienced in this particular hospitals NICU.

actually your words were "take up as much space as you can.....", something about staying there 24 hours etc.

That type of behavior WILL interfere with the medical team and the work they are trying to do to keep little babies safe and get them home asap.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:32 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Yes, they try to find reasons to not release whenever they can. And to transfer to another hospital? Forget it. I don't know anyone that had an easy experience transferring out of maimonedes. They refuse and you need to turn over the world.

So my question remains.

Where are all these perfectly healthy babies growing up in the NICU because Maimonides refused to release them? There must be thousands of them, if their parents weren't savvy enough to "turn the world over" to get them out.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Currant wrote:
So my question remains.

Where are all these perfectly healthy babies growing up in the NICU because Maimonides refused to release them? There must be thousands of them, if their parents weren't savvy enough to "turn the world over" to get them out.

They're released after the hospital decided they can't keep then anymore, because they can't find reason to, or because parents fought for it and involved askanim. Many babies spend extra time in the NICU or PICU for no reason. Parents must advocate.
They either release from the NICU after a couple of days, but if baby has more serious issues and needs an extended stay, they try to keep the baby longest possible and find reasons to. Reasons that don't make sense which is why parents need to advocate.
If someone wants to transfer to a different NICU, they almost have to steal their baby out. They're very tough with transfers in general.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:40 pm
amother Lemon wrote:

I'm don't know amother currant but her words on this thread ring true to me. I'm a Maimo nurse and have had family members be patients in Maimo, as well as other NYC hospitals. We have had good and bad experiences and providers in all places. Medical care in the USA in 2023 can often leave alot to be desired. But, If you distrust a hospital so much, then vote with your feet and stay away! We live in the NYC metropolitan area. Any hospital emergency room or labor/delivery triage is legally obligated to see you. Do NOT go to a doctor who delivers in a hospital that you distrust. That said, as a nurse, the conspiracy theories regarding the blatant abuse, starving, beating, refusal to discharge that occur in hospitals are frankly quite laughable (but hey, don't listen to me... your friends neighbors cousin in Hatzala told them so it must be true! amd we all know that bungalow colony circle info is the absolute most accurate)

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:40 pm
Seems like some posters have never experienced miamonides. it is really unlike any other hospital in the world.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics