Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Beckman’s - Ami Serial
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 43  44  45  Next

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:33 am
amother OP wrote:
The author isn’t a fictional person and she might even be on this thread.
I happen to enjoy her story even if I don’t like Eli and Dina

Critism towards someone work or job is not personal.

No one here has said wow this author is a bad person, is a horrible writer and should be fired, etc. We are just critiquing her work.

A good author is open to critics and doesn't take it personal.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:42 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Critism towards someone work or job is not personal.

No one here has said wow this author is a bad person, is a horrible writer and should be fired, etc. We are just critiquing her work.

A good author is open to critics and doesn't take it personal.

I disagree and I don’t mean only this specific poster.
We should all be more careful.

It’s the first thing I turn to when I open the Ami and I know I’m not the only one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:59 am
Actually this week
Spoilers alert *

Esti went to see Dina’s house again, she’s obsessed with what’s going on, and very lonely. Dina’s friend sees her there. She gets in trouble again.

Esti finally gets some kind of backbone when she talks to Eli telling him and insisting that he’s treating her like a pesky fly on the wall.

Eli disagrees and says she’s unfair to him the way she’s treating him since his father died without even giving him Space to grieve properly.
He’s wrong.
He’s taking plenty of space and he never has a normal conversation with his wife more than 3 minutes long, never, not at any point in the day. He comes home like he’s her guest.
Losing his father isn’t a license for abuse.
And he thinks it’s all her fault and she even owes him gratitude because he’s supporting the family financially.
I used to think this plot is from a hundred years ago but I changed my mind, because I think back then couples still managed to have nice shalom bayis even when the husband was the unequivocal master of the house.

I think Esti would do well to get a job and start making her own way up the career ladder, she’s just as capable as Eli.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 8:00 am
amother OP wrote:
I disagree and I don’t mean only this specific poster.
We should all be more careful.

It’s the first thing I turn to when I open the Ami and I know I’m not the only one.

So far all the critique on the past few pages is something I would say to the authors face. I don't see an issue with it.

Nobody has been rude, inappropriate or out of place.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 8:04 am
amother OP wrote:
The author isn’t a fictional person and she might even be on this thread.
I happen to enjoy her story even if I don’t like Eli and Dina

I sincerely apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.
Happens to be that our family is obsessed with Harry Potter but the first three books can be summed up as having plot repetition as well, and we love JK Rowling and her writing! Smile
ETA
Nevertheless, I deleted my previous post in case it hurt the author's feelings or is LH

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:35 pm
Ugh
Didn’t like this repetitiveness this week
Just disappointing
Right so everything she tries backfires and he is suddenly intransigent since his father died
Overly simplistic
Frustrating
I feel like a lot of the writing lately in the magazines is very predictable and very two dimensional
Psa authors are used to critiques beta readers etc name of the game

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 8:14 pm
I'm just angry at the way Eli is treating Esty. She should up and leave him....

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Ugh
Didn’t like this repetitiveness this week
Just disappointing
Right everything she tries backfires and he is suddenly intransigent since his father died
Overly simplistic
Frustrating
I feel like a lot of the writing lately in the magazines is very predictable and very two dimensional
Psa authors are used to critiques beta readers etc name of the game

I think ami is more like that. I prefer mishpacha. I don't think ami writing is good at all, I inky really because the content is interesting, (articles and features) and serials I read because I'm bored lol and then I'm curious about what happens next.

I don't buy any of them since I get them from family the week after but if I would spend money I'd get mishpacha.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 6:44 pm
Eli is wrong again.
Shalom bayis are the biggest problems of all.

Hadassa is also wrong, a wife isn’t a mother in law , a wife can speak her mind it’s not meddling.
Eli shut her out and that’s why she had to sneak around.

Eli thinks that shalom bayis problem with Esti is no big deal.
I think in the end Esti will leave him. She will hit rock bottom and will end up in therapy and once she finds a good therapist it will be hard to convince her to stay in this Pseudo-marriage.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 6:50 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
I'm just angry at the way Eli is treating Esty. She should up and leave him....

Agree.

And Hadassa is giving stupid advice telling Esti to stop meddling in the Beckman’s affairs. Well, she’s a Beckman now.
She isn’t trying to control her husband, she HAS NO HUSBAND just a snobby aloof master of the house. She’s like his worker.
He’s used to people working for him.

Even if they would be able to afford the stupid couch, it’s not a life.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 6:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Agree.

And Hadassa is giving stupid advice telling Esti to stop meddling in the Beckman’s affairs. Well, she’s a Beckman now.
She isn’t trying to control her husband, she HAS NO HUSBAND just a snobby aloof master of the house. She’s like his worker.
He’s used to people working for him.

Even if they would be able to afford the stupid couch, it’s not a life.

There are unfortunately in real life such couples, I always wonder what they do mikvah night like it's obvious that there is no intimate life, but does that mean she skips mikva??

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 7:05 pm
I think they will have some breakthrough.
no way they would get divorced
no way she would leave him either and don't think she has to they have much to try before that point of no return
hopefully soon and successfully Wink

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 7:33 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I think they will have some breakthrough.
no way they would get divorced
no way she would leave him either and don't think she has to Wink

I think she does need to. She has a shell of a husband and a shell of a marrriage. They never even speak for longer than two seconds. He comes home so late after Esti is literally sleeping.
She deserves better.

I think that once he sees he’s about to lose her he may go for marriage counselling and may finally learn what marriage is all about.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 7:37 pm
Also, so weird how Esti’s mother is only concerned about the shviger ALL the time.
I think the Beckmans are on a higher social status and Esti’s mother is proud of marrying them. I think she’s a people pleaser and should care more about her own daughter.
It seems like she isn’t really worried about the shviger either but about her own relationship with the shviger which is through Esti.

rachelli66

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 7:37 pm
What I can't understand is why Esti does not discuss the mess she is in with her Mother? Her Mom calls all the time, and she always says everything is ok. Why doesn't she say ''Mom I did this and this . At least her Mom can comfort her.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 7:39 pm
rachelli66 wrote:
What I can't understand is why Esti does not discuss the mess she is in with her Mother? Her Mom calls all the time, and she always says everything is ok. Why doesn't she say ''Mom I did this and this . At least her Mom can comfort her.

I think Esti knows that her mother is just a people pleaser and won’t be of any help here.

brightness

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 8:17 pm
It's very unfortunate. Eli is so nasty to her
Whatever she does just backfires on her. They definitely need counseling, just doubt Eli would go. He would say she is the problem. I agree she should discuss with her mother or someone that could help her. She is so alone.

bebrave

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 4:40 am
I believe there's potential in their marriage look how things changed this time all because Eli got that extra support... sometimes you gotta give more than it's expected and you start to see results. Well done Eli, you stuck up for yourself! Way to go

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 7:17 am
bebrave wrote:
I believe there's potential in their marriage look how things changed this time all because Eli got that extra support... sometimes you gotta give more than it's expected and you start to see results. Well done Eli, you stuck up for yourself! Way to go

Yes finally
But at a shloshim seuda for their father… to blow up like that, wow.

He needs to become on eye level with his wife and speak things through with her. Then he needs to face the family and explain the situation.
He did none of that. Instead he just blows up at everyone.
Dina deserved it though.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes finally
But at a shloshim seuda for their father… to blow up like that, wow.

He needs to become on eye level with his wife and speak things through with her. Then he needs to face the family and explain the situation.
He did none of that. Instead he just blows up at everyone.
Dina deserved it though.

Can you please recap? Didn’t get it this week.
Page 8 of 45   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 43  44  45  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room