Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Wig prices. SM are not money grabbing monsters!!
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 22  23  24  Next

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
It's simple, mechanical work. I won't do it myself the same way I won't do other simple, mechanical work myself that I haven't learned to do and don't have time to figure out. But just because you have the upper hand and are in a position to take advantage of frum women who need to cover their hair and wash it once a month so they don't look like a shmatte, doesn't mean you're allowed to charge $120 an hour for it. And if you do, that really says something about you.

I find this post distasteful

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:37 pm
It's simple, mechanical work. I won't do it myself the same way I won't do other simple, mechanical work myself that I haven't learned to do and don't have time to figure out. But just because you have the upper hand and are in a position to take advantage of frum women who need to cover their hair and wash it once a month so they don't look like a shmatte, doesn't mean you're allowed to charge $120 an hour for it. And if you do, that really says something about you.

Again no one is holding a gun to anyone’s head making them use this person who charges $120.
There are women who are charging less.
Why do you feel entitled to dictate how much someone is “allowed” to charge?
Why do they need to explain themselves? Does Hermes or Dior or any other luxury brand have to explain why they charge 20k for a bag or whatever they sell?
No one is entitled to luxury. Some are lucky enough to get to enjoy them.
Why are we vilifying those who have a client base that is willing to pay a premium?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:41 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I like my SM. She’s honest, friendly. raised slowly from 35 over a period of 5, 6 years to 50.
I left the popular SM where prices were skyrocketing and you barely got to see the SM just her assistants and it was full of women whose full time job is looking beautiful aka sahm with time to kill and money to spend

This comment is horrible. No words.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Again no one is holding a gun to anyone’s head making them use this person who charges $120.
Why do they need to explain themselves? Does Hermes or Dior or any other luxury brand have to explain why they charge 20k for a bag or whatever they sell?
Why are we vilifying those who have a client base that is willing to pay a premium?

Not me, the Torah. You must have missed the discussion about the lav deoraisah of ona'ah, I.e. taking monetary advantage of someone else just because you can. It's an actual issur. Not a joke.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:43 pm
I didn't read the whole thread, but this whole topic is greatly confusing to me. Anyone can charge anything. Anyone is free to use that service provider or not use that service provider. What am I missing? Is this a matter of life/death where this service provider has the keys to your wellbeing and has a moral obligation to keep prices affordable? As a free-market enthusiast, this was my problem with Martin Shkreli, aka "Pharma Bro." He bought the rights to a certain life-saving drug and then increased the price by like 100s of percentage points. Even the most hardened "let the invisible hand of the market due its thing" believer thought this was not ok. But for pretty much anything else? Um, yeah. SMs can charge what they want. When price gets too unaffordable, young people will break into the market and charge less. You then choose to go to those people. That's how the market works. Nobody has any obligation, moral or otherwise, to charge a specific price.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I find this post distasteful

It happens to be true

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:45 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
It happens to be true

Not really.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

They’re only willing to pay a premium because they buy into the lie that more expensive always means better. It doesn’t. I’ve had cheaper sm’s who were better than more expensive.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
This comment is horrible. No words.

What part of it is horrible? I didn’t find it offensive at all

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:46 pm
Not me, the Torah. You must have missed the discussion about the lav deoraisas of ona'ah, I.e. taking monetary advantage of someone else just because you can. It's an actual issur. Not a joke.

Then that is between them & hashem. Again you can’t tell them what to do.
Also it’s not taking advantage because everyone has choices of who to go to for a wash & set. A wash & set at the most expensive SM is not something anyone needs it’s a luxury.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:47 pm
Not me, the Torah. You must have missed the discussion about the lav deoraisas of ona'ah, I.e. taking monetary advantage of someone else just because you can. It's an actual issur. Not a joke.

Yes. It’s sad but money and being honest is a big yetser hara for some people.
When a person comes up to shamayim they get asked if they dealt honestly in business.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:48 pm
It happens to be true

Not at all. Just the opposite, women that work are more in to their appearance because they need to look good and put together for work.
It seems like you're just out to put down and attack those that don't do exactly like you do or want them to do.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:48 pm

Except it’s not what’s happening.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:50 pm
Yes. It’s sad but money and being honest is a big yetser hara for some people.
When a person comes up to shamayim they get asked if they dealt honestly in business.

You are also responsible for your words, judgements, hate, middos… maybe work on perfecting yourself. And being that they are being honest they will be fine. Slander on the other hand…

amother
Lightyellow

amother OP wrote:
Then that is between them & hashem. Again you can’t tell them what to do.
Also it’s not taking advantage because everyone has choices of who to go to for a wash & set. A wash & set at the most expensive SM is not something anyone needs it’s a luxury.

No, actually. It's a lav bein adam lachaveiro. They would need to ask mechilah before Yom Kippur.

amother
Ghostwhite

amother Slateblue wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread, but this whole topic is greatly confusing to me. Anyone can charge anything. Anyone is free to use that service provider or not use that service provider. What am I missing? Is this a matter of life/death where this service provider has the keys to your wellbeing and has a moral obligation to keep prices affordable? As a free-market enthusiast, this was my problem with Martin Shkreli, aka "Pharma Bro." He bought the rights to a certain life-saving drug and then increased the price by like 100s of percentage points. Even the most hardened "let the invisible hand of the market due its thing" believer thought this was not ok. But for pretty much anything else? Um, yeah. SMs can charge what they want. When price gets too unaffordable, young people will break into the market and charge less. You then choose to go to those people. That's how the market works. Nobody has any obligation, moral or otherwise, to charge a specific price.

What you’re missing is that when sm’s who charge a fortune decide they’re going to charge more than double what others do, that encourages the lower priced ones to also raise their prices. And that’s how every frum woman who needs the service ends up getting ripped off in the end because of the ones who started the trend by charging a fortune.

amother
Blonde

What part of it is horrible? I didn’t find it offensive at all

How is it not horrible to say that SAHM job is to look beautiful and they have time to kill and money to spend? It is such a disgusting thing to say.
Just the opposite, women that work are generally more in to their appearance because they need to look good and put together for work.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:51 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
You are also responsible for your words, judgements, hate, middos… maybe work on perfecting yourself. And being that they are being honest they will be fine. Slander on the other hand…

Exactly this. I was just going to post this.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:51 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:

Cool, nice deflection in this discussion about sheitel macher prices. Can we please stick to the topic.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:52 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Not at all. Just the opposite, women that work are more in to their appearance because they need to look good and put together for work.
It seems like you're just out to put down and attack those that don't do exactly like you do or want them to do.

Your statement that women who work are more into their appearance is an untrue generalization

I’ve seen plenty of women who go to work in plain clothes, no makeup and I’ve seen women who don’t work who keep themselves gorgeous
Page 12 of 24   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 22  23  24  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels