Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Item in MM you keep and benefit from, long after Purim?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:10 pm
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
my favorite is from a neighbor who often gives mm in a Tupperware/Rubbermaid/plastic reusable container. I still have a lot of them from over the years. So useful!

They are!
Another thing which is extremely useful are plastic clips for sealing open bags of food. I love them!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:16 pm
For some MM I like to add a packet of pretty napkins or a good Lock&Lock plastic containers.
For SIL's two recently married daughters I'm not giving a MM but they will get something useful and symbolic: set of wooden cooking spoons.

STovah

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:32 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
If you get glass or porcelain platters, do you still throw them out? shock

I get one nice one from a certain close relative with a higher end tray or bowl that I keep. Other porcelain trays or glass platters typically get thrown out because I don’t have space to store so many things. I used to keep things like that but my motto now is, why throw out
later what you can throw out now.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:47 pm
I sometimes see these for cheaper at purim stores or at dollar tree. I've used them for tea bags and sugar packets. And also to hold spools of thread in the sewing drawer.
https://a.co/d/4fb9Ufh

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:49 pm
STovah wrote:
I get one nice one from a certain close relative with a higher end tray or bowl that I keep. Other porcelain trays or glass platters typically get thrown out because I don’t have space to store so many things. I used to keep things like that but my motto now is, why throw out

Why not give them away? I'm happy to take unwanted reusable platters. Makes me sad to think of these things being thrown out.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:01 pm
Any re sealable containers especially leak proof ones, all sizes
Mason Jars
Glass storage containers with good lids, a plus if they are oven friendly
Any nice tray
Wines
Chocolates - especially KLP
Tea Towels - was part of a theme

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:04 pm
Most of those items are hit or miss, some people would love it while others would think it's silly- what do I need it for...

Besides for a kitchen gadget, most of the items mentioned is not something I'd appreciate.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Feb 17 2023, 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

asmileaday

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:34 pm
Last year I got 2 cookie jars from 2 different people. Simple, clear ones. One is small one is a bit bigger. They both seal well. I really use them a lot!

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:53 pm
Once received an apple corer, it was part of a theme and I use it all the time even years later. Once got a large mason jar, used it often as well. Beautiful was once received a nice toiveled serving platter.

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:55 pm
STovah wrote:

I just laughed so hard and really like your perspective. It's smart and so many of us have too much clutter. Be aware you may get comments/thrown tomatoes from other imas tho lol

gilamom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 6:29 pm
A measuring cup. We were bakers, I packaged baked treats and put them in the measuring cup the same way I would put them into a gift bag. Every year someone else mentions that they still use their measuring cups from that year or they had really needed one for pesach.

Pooh

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 7:07 pm
A friend did a pasta theme one year. I still have the truffle oil that came with it since I don’t use it very often or a lot of it at a time and has a long shelf life

My neighbor 10 years ago did a hotdog and beer on a lucite 2 compartment tray. I repurposed and my toiletries sit there since then

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 7:38 pm
One year I got a padded covered jar. I still use it YEARS later for my buttons.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:40 pm
STovah wrote:

I would happily take your trays and platters if I was your neighbor.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 2:26 am
newinbp wrote:
I just laughed so hard and really like your perspective. It's smart and so many of us have too much clutter. Be aware you may get comments/thrown tomatoes from other imas tho lol

There's nothing wrong to want a clutter free home.
I Israel people actually leave it on the street or the fence or bus stop for people to take it. Some put a note "hefker".
You won't believe how fast it's being picked up.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 3:58 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
There's nothing wrong to want a clutter free home.
I Israel people actually leave it on the street or the fence or bus stop for people to take it. Some put a note "hefker".
You won't believe how fast it's being picked up.

I'd never pick up a platter or dish from the street, from someone I didn't know. How would I know if it was used for treif or not, whether there was hot food on it previously and it's now considered fleishig etc? Even if technically I'd figure I'd used it only for cold stuff, what if I forget or someone else is 8n my kitchen and makes a mistake? I'd only take dishes/kitchen items from someone I know and whose kashrus I trust.

(BTW I know people who picked up wooden or upholstered furniture etc on the street and brought it home, only to realize it was infested with termites or various infestations. I guess plastic would be ok.)

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 4:09 am
Op If I was your friend I would live getting from you. I like things better than the food over the years I got from people cooking mit-usel, bowl scraping spatula-useful, unique can/wine opener useful, porcelain teapot-loved it and displayed it until I got bored of it. Cutepen, stationary sets,letters and much more.

I don't like getting one glass cup or 1 plate. But usually the people buying those buy it in the dollar store. And don't expect you to keep it.

Chloe22

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 5:41 am
Grape juice

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 5:50 am
not a big fan of reusable stuff since it is so hit and miss. I might have 16 salad bowls, which all stack and limited storage space so I don't need a 17th which doesn't.

That said, a water jug and a reusable shopping bag were great.

essie14

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 5:53 am
KFP wine and chocolate.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics