Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Nursery teachers...
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:08 pm
She is a new teacher if that makes any difference. And she said she calls all mothers around now to update on childs progress and that's when she mentioned it.
It just came quite surprising to me because to me she seems so up to par according to what I've seen with my kids, but who knows.

And she referred to A&c, not multi directions in other areas.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:08 pm
She is a new teacher if that makes any difference. And she said she calls all mothers around now to update on childs progress and that's when she mentioned it.
It just came quite surprising to me because to me she seems so up to par according to what I've seen with my kids, but who knows.

And she referred to A&c, not multi directions in other areas.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:15 pm
What exactly is the teacher concerned about? Is it her ability to follow several steps? At this age (speech therapists correct me if I'm wrong) I think they should be able to follow a 2 part instruction, like first put the puzzle away, then get your shoes, or first glue the paper, then put the felt on.
Always go back to what is developmentally appropriate for a child that age. Obviously children do develop at their own rates and speeds, and that's normal, so there is a range.
Is your dd perhaps more sensory and doesn't like gluing or sticking, paint etc? Then it might just be a reluctance to engage with the materials, rather than the instructions.
Or she may not like following instructions and would rather make her own version. I believe strongly that children's artwork should be their own. So if you're doing junk modelling-don't show them an example of the elephant you made with toilet rolls and egg boxes, and ask them to copy. Rather give them the materials and let them make what they wanted. If a child doesn't want to paint their handprints for the very cute craft you had planned, then don't force them. I personally believe in sending home an empty page, rather than a perfect product that I as the teacher made.
At this age it should be about exploration and them making sense of the world and what they can do.
By september child, do you mean she is youngest or oldest in her class? Because if she is one of the youngest, it makes sense she wouldn't have developed all the same skills as other children. They may have had 6 months to almost a year more development.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Almond wrote:
What exactly is the teacher concerned about? Is it her ability to follow several steps? At this age (speech therapists correct me if I'm wrong) I think they should be able to follow a 2 part instruction, like first put the puzzle away, then get your shoes, or first glue the paper, then put the felt on.
Always go back to what is developmentally appropriate for a child that age. Obviously children do develop at their own rates and speeds, and that's normal, so there is a range.
Is your dd perhaps more sensory and doesn't like gluing or sticking, paint etc? Then it might just be a reluctance to engage with the materials, rather than the instructions.
Or she may not like following instructions and would rather make her own version. I believe strongly that children's artwork should be their own. So if you're doing junk modelling-don't show them an example of the elephant you made with toilet rolls and egg boxes, and ask them to copy. Rather give them the materials and let them make what they wanted. If a child doesn't want to paint their handprints for the very cute craft you had planned, then don't force them. I personally believe in sending home an empty page, rather than a perfect product that I as the teacher made.
At this age it should be about exploration and them making sense of the world and what they can do.
By september child, do you mean she is youngest or oldest in her class? Because if she is one of the youngest, it makes sense she wouldn't have developed all the same skills as other children. They may have had 6 months to almost a year more development.

Shes September- one of the youngest.

Now that you brought up the sensory issue, that makes a bit of sense. Because she's really clean and perfectionist, so these tog can keep her back from wanting to engage in a&c. OTOH, she'll have to overcome it sometime, because this is how it's gonna be for next few years and she can't not do it along with everyone.

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

Now that you brought up the sensory issue, that makes a bit of sense. Because she's really clean and perfectionist, so these tog can keep her back from wanting to engage in a&c. OTOH, she'll have to overcome it sometime, because this is how it's gonna be for next few years and she can't not do it along with everyone.

Just because she stands out from the rest of the class does not indicate an issue. That kind of art is usually not age appropriate either way and can deter a child from participating, especially bc she's a) young b)perfectionist/sensory tendencies.

I teach 3 year olds for many years already and this would not concern me unless I was seeing a pattern throughout the day in other areas.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

As a parent, to me it's less about what concerns the teachers has brought up and more what is the teacher doing to support the child? I have a lot of experience with working with children with additional needs and my mind immediately starts thinking of interventions and what support I can offer the child to help them.
It's all very nice the teacher saying I noticed x about your child. I want to know what strategies or support you are giving them to help. Not just waiting for the PTA at the end of the year to politely say I don't think your child is doing well. Well where were you the rest of the year??
If your child is sensory, giving them opportunities to see and engage a little with the sensory materials and slowly build up her tolerance without too much pressure, should help. So if she doesn't want to finger paint like the rest of the children, let her hold a paintbrush instead. If she doesn't want to play with the sand, let her use a spoon or scoop or just watch the other children playing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics